ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: I'm back.

I'm back.

Didn't really go anywhere, but I've been without internet all summer (my roommates moved out and I didn't want to foot the bill by myself). But rest assured, me and my camera have been busy. I went to the San Juan Mtns and Great Sand Dunes of southern Colorado about a month ago, and then theres always shots from southern Wisconsin.

These are all from my excursion out to Colorado. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm back.-alpine-flowers-3.jpg   I'm back.-dunes-tree.jpg   I'm back.-footprints.jpg   I'm back.-red-waterfall-2.jpg  

Some more.

And here are a few more. The first two in CO, the last from Devil's Lake, WI. I think the last one is interesting because of the focus plane being on the closest wing of the turkey vulture. It kind of changes the subject from 'bird' to 'flight'. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm back.-shaggy-goat.jpg   I'm back.-small-footprints.jpg   I'm back.-turkey-vulture-large-2.jpg  

Wow ... these are excellent, Bob, my favorites being the walker in the sand and the single tree in the dune. Great stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    Wow ... these are excellent, Bob, my favorites being the walker in the sand and the single tree in the dune. Great stuff!!
    These are all strong shots. I, too, like the sand dunes shots the best. How desolate it feels. Did you take any closeups of just the walkers tracks- like just the lower left quadrant of this shot?

Talking Cool Shots Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by b_slow
    Didn't really go anywhere, but I've been without internet all summer (my roommates moved out and I didn't want to foot the bill by myself). But rest assured, me and my camera have been busy. I went to the San Juan Mtns and Great Sand Dunes of southern Colorado about a month ago, and then theres always shots from southern Wisconsin.

These are all from my excursion out to Colorado. Enjoy!

The walker in the sand dunes is great! I like the tree in the dunes as well. Very dramatic. The waterfall/rocks is pretty cool, though I'd like to see a shorter shutter speed. I know the silky look is in, but I like seeing the water. Just a personal preference.

On your second batch, I really like the goat and the closeup of the turkey vulture. Cool shots.

Thanks for sharing these!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Ooh, cool. I really like that tree one--can't say I've ever seen one like that. The walker one is great too--what'd you do, say "hey friend of mine, go on ahead and lemme take a photo, this'll look cool" Such great composition on that one too. As far as goat photos go too thats a good one--that goat has some real character--nothing like those plain ol' goats you see in zoos.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehulsebus
    Ooh, cool. I really like that tree one--can't say I've ever seen one like that. The walker one is great too--what'd you do, say "hey friend of mine, go on ahead and lemme take a photo, this'll look cool" Such great composition on that one too. As far as goat photos go too thats a good one--that goat has some real character--nothing like those plain ol' goats you see in zoos.
    I love the walker one best, and the tree in the dunes second best. Both tell a compelling story. They're great!

Mike, I just got back from a conference where yes, the professional photographer asks someone to go out and do something ("Would you walk back and forth in front of this wall, please? And you don't happen to have a red shirt you can change into first, do you?") that makes the shot. It was a very cool thing to learn.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Enjoyed these

I enjoyed all your shots, good stuff!

Are you attending UW? That is where I went and I loved it, graduated in '87.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by b_slow
    And here are a few more. The first two in CO, the last from Devil's Lake, WI. I think the last one is interesting because of the focus plane being on the closest wing of the turkey vulture. It kind of changes the subject from 'bird' to 'flight'. Let me know what you think.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    I like the slow shutter speed, makes it look dreamy. And i love the diagonal composition on the Footprints Photo as well. The flowers make for a sad photo, makes me want to add some petals to them to make them full and happy. lol.
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Thanks everyone

I appreciate all of the comments. Those sand dunes really are a photogenic place. Didn't really 'fake' any of the shots, they just appeared everywhere you looked.

Yep, I am attending UW, almost done in fact. Actually I only have one credit left, but I decided to make it a good one and study abroad in Santiago, Chile- starting in January of '05. This was sort of my first real excursion with the D70. So sorry, but I will be leaving again for another extended period of time, but not for about 5 months.

Here are some more shots, including a more upbeat flower shot, a self portrait, a lake at 12,200 ft (where we camped one night), and more wildlife.

Thanks again for the kind words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm back.-alpine-flowers-5.jpg   I'm back.-self-portrait.jpg   I'm back.-hanging-lakes.jpg   I'm back.-mule-deer.jpg  

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    ahhhhh..... a happy flower shot.
    You do good photo! Great composition on these, and love the different textures in the grass on the deer photo.
    Keep posting!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Thread Information