ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Going back to film

Should have a new camera by the end of the week.

Also, once our basement is cleaned up, I'm going to try developing. I also found someone who is unloading an enlarger, they have like 4.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You Go Adina!!

Right On!
    Good Luck with it!
    Let us know how it works out!
    Is this your first time processing your own film and all that?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Going back to film

Are you keeping the digital? One nice thing about EOS or Nikon is that you can do both pretty easily, same lenses and flashes.

Good luck with the B&W. I think I've actually shot more film than digital this year. Developing B&W is pretty easy and doesn't take much equipment, not even a darkroom. Print making is a whole 'nuther story, haven't tried that myself yet. Keep us updated on your progress.

Why?

Why? Did I miss something? Are you finding there's something that digital isn't doing for you? Or do you just want the experience of handling film and chemicals?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Good choice. If you need any help with developing the film or printing just ask.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

Liz

Question Wow.....

I've seen some beautiful digital images here done by Adina! I'm thinking the b&w issue might be the reason?

At any rate, keep us posted. BTW, are you really "going back" or "including?"

Have a great weekend. BTW, how's your Mom doing with her photography?

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by adina

Also, once our basement is cleaned up, I'm going to try developing. I also found someone who is unloading an enlarger, they have like 4.

adina

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Wow.....

Good for you Adina! Developing and printing your own work is an artform all it's own. Sadly, my equipment has been sitting idle for a few months, as digital is much more convienent at the moment. If you have the time, it's a very worth while and rewarding process. Good luck!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

AWWWWWWW..........

Someone used the "F" word!

Frank

Well....

I've been watching the board all day to see who April Fool'd. Last year Hodgy posted he was giving up weddings to be a chef. Since I didn't see any, I figured it was up to me...

So I'm actually only half joking.

I met a guy at the girls swim class who is also a photographer, and we started talking. He has about 4 Holga's sitting in his basement, he's going to bring one for me to take a look at. So I'm thinking about picking that up, which means I would have to develop my own, as there isn't anything local I'm happy with. And if I really enjoy that, I may start shooting more b&w film. I will not be giving up digital any time soon, especially in light of recent events (which will be another post), and will actually be picking up a small p&s, especially after carting the 20d around all week on vacation.

So, I'll be adding a Holga, keeping digital, and adding another digital.

adina

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I've seen some beautiful digital images here done by Adina! I'm thinking the b&w issue might be the reason?

At any rate, keep us posted. BTW, are you really "going back" or "including?"

Have a great weekend. BTW, how's your Mom doing with her photography?

Liz
    Hey Liz!

B&W film is in the future, just a matter of when. Digital rocks, but there is a difference.

Also, my mom is thrilled with your Rebel, but hasn't had time to really get a feel for it yet. She's been working all week non-stop and is exhausted when she gets home. I think she may be a little overwhelmed with it, they are upgrading from a 5 yr old Kodak digital. We are going to head up there sometime in the next week or so and I'll work on it with her.

Thanks again, she was so excited, and was actually pretty much speechless

adina

(if this was confusing for anyone else, we bought Liz's digital rebel as a b-day gift for my mom. Once it got here, we were to excited to wait, so she got it early.)

"I've been watching the board all day to see who April Fooled. Last year Hodgy posted he was giving up weddings to be a chef. Since I didn't see any, I figured it was up to me..."

Adina, you caught me! I was April fooled.

That's so nice for your Mom, getting Liz's Rebel. What an awesome birthday present!

Speaking of Hodgy, you know I was thinking of him recently, and that I haven't seen a post from him in quite a while, so I looked it up. Last time he posted was Dec.30
    Lara

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Talking MUH AHAHAHAHA!! (Evil Laugh..)

Mine and Megan's plan is working!
    Mark one more up to start using a Holga!!
    Brian
    MUH AHAHAHAHA!! (Evil Laugh..)
    ;)
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

You will love b&w. Two things:

1. Welcome back to the land of the living!

2. Ilford FP4 Plus

Hmmmmmm, all this rage about Holgas. I meant to get one for my birthday, but I guess I slacked. This might push me over the edge...

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    "I've been watching the board all day to see who April Fooled. Last year Hodgy posted he was giving up weddings to be a chef. Since I didn't see any, I figured it was up to me..."

Adina, you caught me! I was April fooled.

That's so nice for your Mom, getting Liz's Rebel. What an awesome birthday present!

Speaking of Hodgy, you know I was thinking of him recently, and that I haven't seen a post from him in quite a while, so I looked it up. Last time he posted was Dec.30
    Hodgy started his own forum, and is pretty active over there, if you are looking for him.

adina

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Hodgy started his own forum, and is pretty active over there, if you are looking for him.

adina
    FWIW... It is truly funny that "going back to film" qualifies as an April Fool's joke!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Going back to digital

adina
    Why is this such a big deal? I shoot both film and digital. It just depends on what is most appropriate. I just spent 4 weeks out on the road with a camera in my pocket. This time it was the Stylus Epic (film) but the Fuji F10 (digital) seems to have lots of useful features. I'm waiting for the tests.

Charles

Funny you should say that

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Why? Did I miss something? Are you finding there's something that digital isn't doing for you? Or do you just want the experience of handling film and chemicals?
    Film, chemicals and printing. Locking yourself away in a dark room for hours on end with a result that you can only really judge the next morning. Gosh I hate working in the darkroom.

So what's wrong with digital? Some thoughts:

1. When digital is good its very good but when its bad its awful. Its bad mostly in contrasty light conditions. I find in difficult light I have more success with film.

2. As far as I'm aware there's no way to get a good glossy black-and-white print from digital. Inkjet printers still suffer from metamerism on glossy paper and if you want good results you have to use matt paper.

3. For many subjects I prefer the look of film. Hard to say why exactly. I've had some spectacular successes with digital so I'm not saying that digital is bad.

Charles

For many, its the tonal balance

Re: Going back to digital

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Why is this such a big deal? I shoot both film and digital. It just depends on what is most appropriate. I just spent 4 weeks out on the road with a camera in my pocket. This time it was the Stylus Epic (film) but the Fuji F10 (digital) seems to have lots of useful features. I'm waiting for the tests.

Charles
    It's not a big deal, but seeing as it is such a frequently discussed topic, I figured that it'd be a good April fools.

adina

That's what I thought too! Since it's such a hot issue, film vs. digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    FWIW... It is truly funny that "going back to film" qualifies as an April Fool's joke!
    same thoughts here!
    I mean...its very reasonable that you would choose to do that.
    What would really be a joke is if I quit film to go to digital ^_^!

Thread Information