ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Found one of my images - stolen from this site :(

Here is one of the places I thought I wouldn't have to worry about them 'as much' but lo and behold, I found one of my images, that was posted for critique, stolen and posted on another site. Sadly it was a picture of twins I had photographed that someone was claiming was their boys.....

So, just a note, even if it is not your final version, throw a logo on it. If nothing else, it may slow them down a little....
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: Found one of my images - stolen from this site :(

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I would be flattered if someone liked an image enough to steal it.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Only done by those who have no self esteem.
    How did you find it, Chow?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

To elaborate. My photography has a value of exactly zero. If yours is higher, then you should worry about it being stolen. I don't. Unless you are making money off of it, what difference does it really make if some loser says it is theirs?

I agree with daq, however, when there are people in the photograph it is just a wee bit creepy.

^ Same, if he stole a landscape picture, whatever. But to steal a picture of your children? Thats just weird.

I did a search under my name and went to 'images' found one of my pics that I had only posted on here but found it on a different forum. Why does it matter? Because it is wrong and I do make a living from my pictures and do not appreciate them being stolen. This is an image of two twin boys that they are saying are theirs.... People paid for these pictures to be taken of THEIR boys, not the same people who are posting.

Regardless of how annoyed I am about it, it is most definitely a lesson that ANY image I post online will have a watermark or logo.....
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by ChowChi-Ching
    I did a search under my name and went to 'images' found one of my pics that I had only posted on here but found it on a different forum. Why does it matter? Because it is wrong and I do make a living from my pictures and do not appreciate them being stolen. This is an image of two twin boys that they are saying are theirs.... People paid for these pictures to be taken of THEIR boys, not the same people who are posting.

Regardless of how annoyed I am about it, it is most definitely a lesson that ANY image I post online will have a watermark or logo.....
    Google search? Where in the image was your name? Filename? EXIF? - Thanks, TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Yeah, I agree, if you are actively selling them, then it becomes an issue. And the kid thing is pretty strange.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Google search? Where in the image was your name? Filename? EXIF? - Thanks, TF
    Strange and not cool at all. I too am interested to know how google came up with that post. Your name must have been in there somewhere eh?
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I do not make a living off my photography but to me even if you did not intend to make money off of the image you have still invested time equipment and effort into the photo and it should not be stolen or used for any purpose without your permission. We have rules that cover using or posting someone Else's pictures for a reason, it is not their property! I just do not see why it is not OK if you make a living at it but it is OK if you do not. In either case it took the same identical amount of investment in equipment,time,talent and effort to get the image whether it is for sale or not, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That would tick me off to, all that time and effort that went into a shoot, just for some stranger to steel it and claim it as if it was there own. Is it posible to contact the person that did this?
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

I would call them out for what they are. Basically it is cheating.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I agree with Grandpaw, LightBright and Greg McCary. Whether you are making a living at it or not, if you took the photo it's yours, particularly if no one paid you to take it and even if they did, that does not give anyone the right to take and call it theirs. I am with Greg, I would call them out on it. If they are on a moderated site, then I would be in touch with the moderator to let him/her know what has happened. They may, or may not, choose to do anything, but at least you have tried. If anyone did that to me, boy I would be fried and I have just enough technology knowledge to do something about it. Not sure if this aggressive stance on my part encourages you or not, but if they got away with it once, then they will do it again, maybe not to you, but...

The best indicator of future behaviour is past behaviour and you can believe that if they got away with it (obviously at least once that you know of), then they will try it again until someone calls them on it. My 0.02¢.

WesternGuy

Stealing is stealing is stealing. There's no flattery in that for me. Stealing photos of children is majorly creepy!

I've found my photos on scout.com. There's no compliment and it really makes me mad!

So sorry this happened to you. I'd contact the site admin and the poster.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If it is an forum or something others can join, post the addy and we'll all go and call them out.
    Happened in one of our old msn groups and we all found the person in other groups and let everyone know what he/she had done.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

It is kind of a forum - I reported it, sent a pm to the person who posted it, and also did my own post on there but no one has responded....... Nothing will probably happen but it still makes me mad......

http://www.parentsconnect.com/connec...63525&offset=0

First post, page 2....... It is stretched out a little too....man, if you are going to steal my pic, at least do it right!!!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

I took a look at the thread. There are several images posted that are clearly lifted from stock agencies. One still has a veer stamp on it and one a Corbis watermark. Some of the images are obviously shot by professionals. Reading the title and gong over the posts, it appears to be some sort of a game. Looks like the images used are purely illustrating make-believe scenarios.

To me, there's nothing creepy about any of this, and all it took was three minutes to actually look over the thread and try to understand what's going on.

In this case, if I found myself on the receiving end of this, I would be flattered too.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I took a look at the thread. There are several images posted that are clearly lifted from stock agencies. One still has a veer stamp on it and one a Corbis watermark. Some of the images are obviously shot by professionals. Reading the title and gong over the posts, it appears to be some sort of a game. Looks like the images used are purely illustrating make-believe scenarios.

To me, there's nothing creepy about any of this, and all it took was three minutes to actually look over the thread and try to understand what's going on.

In this case, if I found myself on the receiving end of this, I would be flattered too.
    I find your statement kind of strange with the statement "(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)" on the bottom of each of your posts, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I find your statement kind of strange with the statement "(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)" on the bottom of each of your posts, Jeff
    All I can do is ask. If someone finds an image of mine good enough to use in such a manner, even if it's without permission, there's still a part of me that's flattered.

Plus, the request in my signature is within the context of this forum. It stemmed from people downloading and editing my images and then reposting them. Years ago it was happening a lot, so I simply asked that is cease.

Ultimately though, it comes down to understanding the risks. If you don't want your images stolen, don't put them on the Internet. I guess i'm just resigned to the fact that if I post something, and someone likes it, that it'll be put to many uses that i'm not aware of. Such is life. We can get pissed about it or we can recognize it as the inevitability that it is and focus on continuing being creative. I choose the latter.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I'd be pissed... That is my biggest fear that someone would steal one of my pics and claim it as their own. That's why I always have second thoughts about posting pics. At least give the credit where it is due.

Well, I think the forum is a bit weird and . . .well I just don't get it, but then again people with other interests than my own probably come to the same conclusions about me:cryin:
    I have discovered some of my stuff used on other sites, some linking back to my blog or website and some not, but I honestly have felt uneasy but ultimately flattered. I agree that there is an inherent risk we must face when we post our stuff on the web. If I caught someone actually selling prints or profiting off one of my works, then there would be action taken. I think you have just cause to ask it to be removed.
    I'm still curious as to how google located your image in the search. If by metatag, there must have been hundreds at the least in the search.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Interesting, I looked at the thread with the photo, and right after it is a photo with a "Corbis" watermark. It looks like it is one of those silly meme's, much like the one going to Flickr and picking the 3rd photo down for your imaginary rock band's album cover. I don't do those precisely because I'd be stealing someone's image, even if it's "just for fun." I think you're (Chow) right to ask that it be taken down.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

damn that sucks!

Thread Information