ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Found this for $4.00

I don't want to copy anyone, but mtbbrian's holga pictures were awesome. Anyway, I found this camera in a goodwill today. The lady asked if I was pro, and I told her no, and she asked if i planning to go pro. I said I'll see where it goes. She informed me that this was state of the art pro equiptment, and could be too much for me...LMAO!! Anyway, it has two buttons, shutter release and one for in/out doors.It is a fixed lens, with fixed focus, and made from plastic. Basically, it is a P&S. I am hoping it produces the same holga type effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Found this for .00-100_1253.jpg  

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Found this for $4.00

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    I don't want to copy anyone, but mtbbrian's holga pictures were awesome.
    I'm flattered! I am glad you liked them so much and I was able to inspire you!
    I look forward to seeing what you get from this camera!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I don't want to copy anyone, but mtbbrian's holga pictures were awesome. Anyway, I found this camera in a goodwill today. The lady asked if I was pro, and I told her no, and she asked if i planning to go pro. I said I'll see where it goes. She informed me that this was state of the art pro equiptment, and could be too much for me...LMAO!! Anyway, it has two buttons, shutter release and one for in/out doors.It is a fixed lens, with fixed focus, and made from plastic. Basically, it is a P&S. I am hoping it produces the same holga type effect.
    Don't you mean P.O.S. and not P&S?

I had a Holga once and HATED it, but I like some of the Holga photos I've seen and almost - but not quite - get it. Good luck.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

She informed me that this was state of the art pro equiptment, and could be too much for me...LMAO!! Anyway, it has two buttons, shutter release and one for in/out doors.It is a fixed lens, with fixed focus, and made from plastic. Basically, it is a P&S. I am hoping it produces the same holga type effect.
    Isn't that always the way, at first glance it does look like a good camera...and the name could be mis-read as Olympus. Don't you just love store clerks who think they have something more than what they actually do have.

I can't wait to see the results.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Talking state of the art pro equiptment, and could be too much for me...

Hehehe. Gotta love it!

Did you laugh out loud? :-D
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I just smiled and said "well, maybe i will take some classes". She let me know that i should before attempting to use it so I can get the most of it.

The same good will has a canon canonnette ql17, for $30. Don't know anything about rangefinders, but i think I am going to go back and get it. Apparently, goodwill around here has a good bit of camera equiptment, as I found a canon ae1(?) in another location. Only thing about the QL17, is from my understanding the battery is hard to find. Anyone know anything about this camera?

I just smiled and said "well, maybe i will take some classes". She let me know that i should before attempting to use it so I can get the most of it.

The same good will has a canon canonnette ql17, for $30. Don't know anything about rangefinders, but i think I am going to go back and get it. Apparently, goodwill around here has a good bit of camera equiptment, as I found a canon ae1(?) in another location. Only thing about the QL17, is from my understanding the battery is hard to find. Anyone know anything about this camera?
    I think I have seen subsitutes for the (formerly mercury?) batteries for that Canonet on Ebay. The Canon AE1 is a good camera (shutter priority or manual only) that has really droppe din price since you can't use the modern Canon AF lenses on it.

examine the QL17 VERY well
    especially the rangefinder alignment. At infinity, you should have the superimposed images almost perfectly lined up when objects are 2km or more.
    If its out of alignment, then its worth nothing!

why not just buy a holga?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Below is a link to some info about the QL17. I too found an old Canonet at a local antique store. I didn't buy it, but have often thought about going back to see if it's still there.

http://phr.www.cistron.nl/canonet-faq.html
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Yeah I could buy a Holga, but I know what it produces. This will be fun to see what it produces. Even if it is nothing I like, it was still worth $4 just because the fun I had experimenting and trying to see things a little different. It isn't always about the equiptment.

Thanks for the info on the Canonette. I am not really certain on it yet, this will help in the final decision.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I think you'll enjoy this camera!
    Yes, HOLGA's ROCK!
    But Go FOR IT!
    BTW, Holga does make a 35mm camera too.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Yeah I could buy a Holga, but I know what it produces. This will be fun to see what it produces. Even if it is nothing I like, it was still worth $4 just because the fun I had experimenting and trying to see things a little different. It isn't always about the equiptment.

Thanks for the info on the Canonette. I am not really certain on it yet, this will help in the final decision.
    fair enough!

Thread Information