ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Ford Motor Co. wants to use my photograph!

Actually it was someone from J Walter Thompson. They want to use one of my outdoor photographs in an advertisement about scenic drives for Ford Motor Company. They found the photo on my website.

They are asking if they can obtain permission to use my photo. I've never sold the rights to use any of my photographs before so I'm not sure what to do or how much to charge. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to get some money for it, but I'd love even more to have one of my photographs published in an advertisement.

It's been a while since I've posted here. I havn't picked up my camera in ages. I've been so busy putting together a new business, I probably won't touch it again for a while. Oh well, something to look forward to in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    Actually it was someone from J Walter Thompson. They want to use one of my outdoor photographs in an advertisement about scenic drives for Ford Motor Company. They found the photo on my website.

They are asking if they can obtain permission to use my photo. I've never sold the rights to use any of my photographs before so I'm not sure what to do or how much to charge. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to get some money for it, but I'd love even more to have one of my photographs published in an advertisement.

It's been a while since I've posted here. I havn't picked up my camera in ages. I've been so busy putting together a new business, I probably won't touch it again for a while. Oh well, something to look forward to in the future.
    Work with J. Walter quite a bit, don't hesitate to charge them what the image is worth. They are huge and with a Ford account they can afford it. I doubt I know your contact though as we work with their non-for-profit clients.

http://www.nppa.org/professional_dev...s/pricing.html
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    How very exciting!

The best part will be seeing your work get published with your name or website address on, or near the photo.

Great job!

Kathy

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Excellent!

Congratulations!

Megan

Sweet!!!

Congratulations! That really rocks!

Like Seb said, be sure to get your money's worth. They've got deep pockets. ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I'd be willing to have them print it for free, but as you say, they have deep pockets. I should get some compensation for it. I'll see what I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    How very exciting!

The best part will be seeing your work get published with your name or website address on, or near the photo.

Great job!

Kathy
    THis is a commercial piece. No name, web site, etc. will be anywhere near the photo. When's the last time you saw credits on an ad? Not counting fashion, they sometimes write the photographer's name on there.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Definately don't let it go for free

That is a growing trend today is to exploit new photographer or photographers who are more excited to just see their work in a large venue (like a magazine etc). I would follow those sites and try and determine what you think is a fair price.

Any chance we can get a sneak preview of the photo? I'm curious.

-scott

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    That is a growing trend today is to exploit new photographer or photographers who are more excited to just see their work in a large venue (like a magazine etc). I would follow those sites and try and determine what you think is a fair price.

Any chance we can get a sneak preview of the photo? I'm curious.

-scott
    I get the same feeling. Many companies these days like to see if they can get stuff for free first. Many beginners think it's a foot in the door, only to never be called again. Be professional about it and they will treat you as such. You don't have to charge as much as someone with experience would, but charge something that's fair. Those guides will make it easier to figure out what "fair" is.

Good luck and congrats.
    -Seb

My website

It turns it it's going to be for a brochure with a printing of 5000. Here's the photo. It's also on my website: http://www.mongeese.org

Great shot!

Unusual [for me] to see a rocky outcrop supporting evergreen trees manteled by
    deciduous trees.

Wow!

What a beautiful photo. The lighting is gorgeous!

By all means, charge them what it's worth! They shouldn't expect to use it for free.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

One of the funny things about this image is when I first put it online, most people didn't care for it. It was just a rock in some trees to them. I kept it online anyways since I thought it was nice, the lighting and color came out so well. That just goes to show it's your own opinion that's most important.

So I used the Fotoquote program and browsed some other photographers sites to get an idea of how much to charge. I ended up selling it for $425. I think that's a decent price.

So I used the Fotoquote program and browsed some other photographers sites to get an idea of how much to charge. I ended up selling it for $425. I think that's a decent price.
    Sounds fair to me.
    -Seb

My website

can you squeeze a photo credit out of it as well? Congratulations!!!
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar
    Hey that's 425 bucks ya didn't have a week ago for not having to do hardly any extra work. Not bad, not bad at all ;o)

btw, thanks for the help everyone. I should add some information about purchasing photos on my site now. I never thought I could make that kind of money off of them!

Send $$$ For Film and Processing h2oskierc's Avatar
    Awesome for you!

Congratulations!
    Chris

When I grow up I want to be a Photographer.

No more money left for film
    Will work for Canon DSLR Body...

Thread Information