ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Unhappy Places To Go..Things To Photograph?

This may come off as stupid and make me appear as a lost cause, but..I seem to just sit at home all day wishing there was something to take pictures of.
    I'm 17, I live in north Miami, I can't drive, I don't go to school, my mother works nights (sleeps days), and I never have more than a $50.00 per day budget (yeah yeah, self-pity). The beach was okay at first to get familiar with my camera, but now I'm bored with it.

How do you scout out places to visit/things to do?

When I do get out with intentions to shoot a roll or two of film, I end up wandering endlessly amongst the infuriated, road raging "adults" in the congested streets of the "sexiest city on earth" - only to come back without one picture taken.

Living in Miami, you should have a wealth of things to photograph, Get your walking shoes on, walk among the congestion, and start snapping. Everyone goes through periods in which they feel their creativity is lost or stifled, so try going out with maybe just 1 lens, or 1 certain kind of film, and have a specific goal in mind on things to shoot. It kind of forces you to focus differently, rather than just going out amidst the bustle and letting your creative mind get overwhelmed. Good luck.

I guarantee you your neighborhood is surrounded by stuff to shot. Try different things, experiment, that's how you learn to "see"...

Try lenses you haven't used before, try subjects you haven't shot before, hell, everytime you think to yourself "that's not worth shooting," go ahead and shoot it. Macro, wildlife, street shots, landscapes, anything is fair game.

This was taken out of my parents' back yard:

This was taken in my parents front yard:

And out of a whole morning of trying to get birds, I walked away with this being my favorite shot of the day:

Everyday things can become extraordinary if you just look at them differently. The weeping willow never looked interesting in 13 years living there, until I looked up one afternoon...

Photography is about showing us how you see the world, through your unique eyes. Surprise us!
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Perhaps the Chicago Gathering thread would provide some inspiration?

http://forums.consumerreview.com/crf...RANDOM=4803319

Hey, I'd like to thank you all.
    I was inspired enough after reading your responses, I set out this morning trying to view each "ordinary" or "boring" subject in a new way. I also jumped on a bus down to South Beach and got some really nice night photos, including the Miami skyline.

Well, I look forward to seeing them!

Fran

Any time you need help finding an assignment for yourself, you can go take a look at the old photo projects.
    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/photography/project/
    Pick one of the projects and then go take some pics that would fit in with those. Find some subjects that we missed or make your own interpretation of those we didn't. Post them here and let us know wht you've done.

Thread Information