ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First wedding: I survived

Learned a lot today...and one of those thing is I DON'T want to be a wedding photographer!

it wasn't even the people, it wasn't the ridiculous combinations of lighting situations, it wasn't even how "on" you have to be the whole time or the endless hours of walking around...it was other rude "photographers" that are "friends of the family" that have no courtesy or social graces...

still confused...here's a pic of what I'm talking about. This guy was told he needed to stay out of my way by the bride and groom and well...figure it out for your selves.

every groomsman shot is screwed up by him calling people off to the side...using a GIANT flash that obliterated details in a lot of shots and he was "setting up" "better" shots after I had already positioned everyone...he was unbelievable...etc etc...

but overall---him aside it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought he was going to be...the rest of the shots were some of my favs...and they have been tweaked and loved to my tastes...Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

a few more

they were a wonderful couple and very flexible. And had WONDERFUL families---who knew how to have fun
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

last few I promise

and a couple more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First wedding: I survived-waving.jpg  
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Great images!!!!!!!!!!! All of them! Whenever I get a "guest" that get's in my way, I do 2 things. If it's really bad a blatantly ask them to stop as It's interfering with my photography, my time schedule, and the amount of $$ the B&G are paying to have "me" photograph their wedding, or 2...I'll just stand back and wait, and not shoot, until the "photog" realizes that I'm "along with everyone else" is waiting for him/her to finish.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    NAT..I totally understand what you mean! The one I was conned into shooting had 3 of him ;)

At my cousin's wedding(few weeks ago).. I was him, but the photog and I had a very GOOD understand of our roles ;) I played clean up, and roving (raving?) lunatic , while he WAS THE PHOTOGRAPHER

These are GREAT Nat and I'M SURE you have plenty more of the same caliber!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Penny... I appreciate it. I was pleased with a lot of the images it was just so difficult and confusing for the grromsmen especially to know who to look at...glad it's over...till next time?
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I decided to step back and wait...I figured adding stress to the situation wasn't the way to go...my friend who offered to assist finally got to the point where she was saying "Could everyone look this way---at the actual photographer" . what was mapped to take 35 minutes took an hour and a half...

Anyway all is well...thnaks for your kind words... ;)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

may sound odd

but it was actually having a network of different women (this was a church event) pray at different times to help get my attitude in check and just praying continously in my head that I wouldn't go ghetto on him....I was so bent. It generally takes quite a bit to get me that ticked...what can you do...Thnaks Paul...hey I wanna see some from the wedding...email me some.
    ;)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

First off, you did great! I like the lapel shot and a couple others that look pretty unique. Interesting to see how your style works with a wedding - I like your work and you're accomplished enough at what you do that your style comes across here, even the first time. And the most important thing is that you came back with your shots.

These two problems are the reasons I'm not really excited about trying to do more of this (but part of me wants to...). The guy needs to be dealt with, however is appropriate and however it works - again you have to come back with your shots doing whatever you have to do to get the job done. Be as diplomatic as you can but apparently this guy doesn't get it. Maybe you could have someone (maybe a friend?) keep an eye on him so you can do your job. The other one, posing a group and keeping their attention for more than 5 seconds, is tough too. I guess it's just a matter of experience. You don't want to blow up - although you'd like to - and you handled the situation.

Sounds like the couple are friends of yours, is the other "photographer" someone you know too - or friend of a friend? I wonder if that might make this situation harder. "You know, it's our friend Natalie - she won't mind if we goof around like usual, etc..." If you didn't know anyone maybe it would be easier?

First, these are excellent images and you are highly creative.

Now for the "pinhead" with the camera. I shot a wedding Saturday and for the formals the members of the large family were all waiting for their turn to get photographed. There were several incidents where I was ready to take the photograph when a highly annoying flash (with the red eye reduction feature on) went off just as I was ready to go. Oh course, they were all politely asked to wait. The situation was borderline out of control. I tried to compensate by taking several digital images of each pose. I have viewed the images and they are fine, but I should have been more direct with them. This is always difficult for the photographer.

Again, great shots!

-Dave-

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    You certainly can't tell (from these photos) that you don't want to be a wedding photographer. I think anyone would be proud to have these as their wedding pics, and I love your use of natural light. Great work, Nat.

The wedding I'm scheduled to shoot in October is being held in Big Ridge State Park (Smoky Mountains). It's scheduled to be outdoors in the early evening. If the weather holds - the colors and scenery should be incredible.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    Learned a lot today...and one of those thing is I DON'T want to be a wedding photographer!

it wasn't even the people, it wasn't the ridiculous combinations of lighting situations, it wasn't even how "on" you have to be the whole time or the endless hours of walking around...it was other rude "photographers" that are "friends of the family" that have no courtesy or social graces...

still confused...here's a pic of what I'm talking about. This guy was told he needed to stay out of my way by the bride and groom and well...figure it out for your selves.

every groomsman shot is screwed up by him calling people off to the side...using a GIANT flash that obliterated details in a lot of shots and he was "setting up" "better" shots after I had already positioned everyone...he was unbelievable...etc etc...

but overall---him aside it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought he was going to be...the rest of the shots were some of my favs...and they have been tweaked and loved to my tastes...Enjoy
    You did a great job Nat. Your unique eye has given them some special shots. The overhead shot you took while hanging by one hand off the roof is especially unique.

If you ever do this again you have to set up a set of strong rules with the couple about the time for formal shots. I have seen photographers have it set up where others could take photos but not while the photographer was arranging and taking the shot. Once that was taken others could have a minute or so to take the same setup, but not be rearranging and directing people. Then the photog sets up the next shot. The couple could give time for other people if they chose to let them set up as they want after the Photog had all the required shots. This then needs to be announced prior to the start of the sesion as well.

I only did one wedding and that was almost done under protest. It takes a personality way different than mine to enjoy and do it well.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar
    I'm no expert wedding photographer but I think you did a fine job. I know I have always hated the role of trying to take complete charge of a situation for a photograph. It is especially hard when everyone there just wants to laugh and have a good time (which they should) but also on the other hand be serious enough to get the photos done because they are the one thing that will last the life of their mariage (or even longer probably in 50 percent of all marriages ;-p...teasing.)

Congrats on your first wedding and I bet it only gets easier with each if ya give it another go.

Thank you for sharing,
    scott

I realized that

"You know, it's our friend Natalie - she won't mind if we goof around like usual, etc..." If you didn't know anyone maybe it would be easier?[/QUOTE]

THAT definitely I think had an impact because I'm generally pretty easy going.

But you learn from every situation ya know...thanks for your input and I appreciate sharing your experience...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thanks ---I tried to use a much available light as possible since I'm still thoroughly dumbfounded by flash and such and how to use it effectively without the snapshot feel to it...

I bet your wedding will be gorgeous such rich beautiful colors available willl look out for your stuff...I have another wedding n October and gave out my card to one "enagaged" couple at the wedding and one to another couple who are caterers because they are always looking to refer people

Thanks
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thnaks for your input...I really need to be more assertive or put my foot down a little bit more firmly right up front...lesson learned. Thanks again for looking.
    ;)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk

I only did one wedding and that was almost done under protest. It takes a personality way different than mine to enjoy and do it well.
    I hear ya...the woman who "assisted" e is also a good friend who is helping me with my business sense and marketability...and she came a long and took notes on what I can improve so THAT will be really helpful.

For the most part I am happy with a lot of the shots just still recovering from some bad attitudes...Thanks again
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

"You know, it's our friend Natalie - she won't mind if we goof around like usual, etc..." If you didn't know anyone maybe it would be easier?
    I'm no expert here - but that was my experience with the one I did earlier this year for friends. I didn't have anyone that bad to deal with though ;) !! I do like Hodgy's approach of letting them realize that everyone is staring at them waiting for them to finish interrupting - make them realize what they're doing, but I'd guess that this guy doesn't *get* subtlety...

weddings are like labor

it takes a while to forget but after you forget you're actually dumb enough to try it again ;)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Very nice shots. They all are very good and look professional. At one point when I was graduating from college I thought about professional photography. I thought I might enjoy it more if it was a hobby. I don't think I could handle the pressure of screwing up (or the lab) and ruining a couples memories. Again nice job I'm sure the couple was extremely happy with your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    Very nice shots. They all are very good and look professional. At one point when I was graduating from college I thought about professional photography. I thought I might enjoy it more if it was a hobby. I don't think I could handle the pressure of screwing up (or the lab) and ruining a couples memories. Again nice job I'm sure the couple was extremely happy with your work.
    Thanks Gerry...ah the wonders of post processing. I guess it's not what you start with it's what you end up with...The fortunate part is that I have about 300 shots some on film...and I have two weeks to do all this since they are gone on an extended honeymoon...If I was as busy as Hodgy is with his stuff I might go mad

;)
    Thanks for the kind words...I definitely would not do this "professionally"
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Nat,

Very nice shots. I really like your style and you captured some very nice moments. People like that pinhead at that wedding are their own reward. If you are that oblivious and rude, it usually comes back around. It's still incredibly annoying, though. I wasn't even there and I'm annoyed! ;)

Again, very nice shots. What did you shoot on?

You Did More Than Survive...

Weddings are a nervous time for all at hand, but the shots that you presented are very very good, espcecially for the first time attempt. Very exciting, and I bet after a little time you will want to do another one.

Great job.
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

thanks for your annoyance mine is settling...finally...sort of
    ;)

thanks for looking
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    Very exciting, and I bet after a little time you will want to do another one.

Great job.
    Loren
    wel actually not much of a choice in the matter. I committed to another wedding in October
    so we'll see. Glad you like dthe shots...now if I could only find my D70 manual...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information