ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: First Wedding

n8

First Wedding

I'm shooting my first wedding tomorrow, and I'm not sure how nervous I should be. I've already scouted the place and have an idea of my best lighting options (lot's of bounced flash sadly as the ceremony will be back lit) and interesting backgrounds for less formal portraits. I'm pretty sure I have my bases covered, but any last minute advice/experiences would be swell. Just to cover how I'm preparing, here's my list.

1. batteries charged...backups too.
    2. two strobes
    3. memory cards formatted
    4. shooting in raw w/jpeg backup on 2nd card
    5. 24-70 2.8 on the d7000 and a lensbaby on the d40
    6. lightstand/umbrella for posed shots
    7. dad to "supervise" part of it.
    8. scanned a few book for ideas, but really avoiding all the cliche stuff I'm sure I'll still do.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Re: First Wedding

The number one thing I would suggest is to check all your camera settings, ISO EV compensation, white balance to make sure that some odd settings from the last time you shot are still not on the camera. Have fun and take plenty of pictures. I think you have a good combination with that camera and lens. One more thing..... I have a tendency when I turn my camera to shoot portrait stile to bump the mode dial with the index finger of my left hand and rotate the mode wheel to something other than what I was planning on using so check the LCD screen often to see if something strange might be going on with your pictures, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looks like you have most of it covered...good luck. Only a couple of questions...do you have a backup camera (if not, I would see if I could borrow or rent one) and how many memory cards? Suggestion...if you don't already have it, it might be of value to have a list of the more "formal" and/or posed shots that you want to take, that way nothing gets missed. The candid and informal ones are just that - candid and informal, thus unplanned.

Are you only shooting the actual wedding, or are you also shooting the preparation and the reception? Makes a difference, particularly in the number of memory cards and maybe in batteries and their backups. Depending on how formal the wedding is, some ministers like to have a bit of a say in what you can shoot or not...goes to the continuity of the ceremony...have you talked to him/her about your "coverage" of the ceremony? Do you have an assistant? If not, maybe you can get someone to help (for free) if the need arises??

These are few of the thoughts that come to mind - probably lots of stuff that I am overlooking and maybe others will add to this. As I said, good luck.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    Never memorize something you can look up. - Albert Einstein

n8

Good questions. I'll have my d40 just in case, and I think two batteries per camera, plus an extra set of AA's for the d7000 should do. Memory wise, I'll have an 8gb in the d40 shooting raw/basic jpegs, and I'll start with a 32gb card + a 4gb card in the 7000 to hold the raws and jpegs on separate cards. I've got another 16gb and another 4gb. My father (45 yr pro) is coming along for the ride...either to help or to laugh.
    I'm shooting everything the best I can. Fortunately it's all at the same same place, and it's for an anti-bridzilla. I also know the paster...we all work together...so I'm thinking it will be a pretty relaxed deal.
    mostly Nikon gear

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

How did this go? Any words of wisdom for others?

What did you learn? Any shots to share?
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

n8

It went well I think, thanks for asking.
    I learned that I don't like posing, and that I needed to provide a lot more direction than I was anticipating. I also learned that I can't wait to be able to afford the 24-70 2.8 that I rented, although I'm sure it contributed to my back ache.
    Here's a couple I've edited
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Wedding-untitled-1-1-5.jpg   First Wedding-untitled-2-2-.jpg   First Wedding-untitled-1-2-.jpg  
    mostly Nikon gear

Thread Information