ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

first spring redtailed hawk

Nothing is harder than sneaking up on a perched hawk, but sometimes we all get lucky ;)

This young redtailed hawk was SO BACKLIT, I needed plus 1.3 ev to nearly expose it correctly. I set the white point in PS and did very little else besides USM and a crop to vertical(8x10 format)

1D/100-400IS W/ 1.4TCII on LEXAR ;)

BTW... I never liked borders, so I never learned how to put one on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first spring redtailed hawk-6649y.rth.600.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: first spring redtailed hawk

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Nothing is harder than sneaking up on a perched hawk, but sometimes we all get lucky ;)

This young redtailed hawk was SO BACKLIT, I needed plus 1.3 ev to nearly expose it correctly. I set the white point in PS and did very little else besides USM and a crop to vertical(8x10 format)

no matter what I say that will be encouraging will keep you from telling me what you could have done differently...so I'll just say I like the monochromatic look of it and call it a day......smooches....glad to see you posting again ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

DUDE! i was just about to ask why I never see pics from you. You better plan on making this a habit!

Awesome image. The BG is way out there, but Its so uniform that it just doesn't really matter to me. Love the bird!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

It's about time you treated us to another of your signature images. Nice job working under a difficult lighting situation. I'm giving some very serious thought to the purchase of 1.4TC to couple with the 80-200 f2.8. What are the pros and cons as far as you are concerned?
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Nice to see your work again. How does one sneak up on a hawk? Do you have some sort of magic ju ju?

STEALTH , know how and in this case.... youthful bird with hunger kept it from flying away(until the wood ducks got scared)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    It's about time you treated us to another of your signature images. Nice job working under a difficult lighting situation. I'm giving some very serious thought to the purchase of 1.4TC to couple with the 80-200 f2.8. What are the pros and cons as far as you are concerned?

A NIKKOR 1.4 will slightly degrade the image from the 80-200 and the AF will be slightly slower. IMHO a 300f4afs will be sharper, but a 80-200 w/ 1.4 will still produce great images worthy of printing large. I printed a 11x17 from a slide shot with my 80-200AF-D and a 1.4tc(kenko) , I was pleased
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Talking Plus 1.3 EV

Got to love exposure compensation. Works great on backlit subjects, but your BG (especially sky) gets washed out. Was the sky blue to begin with, or was it already washed out?

Love the colors and details. Awesome shot my friend. And you don't just walk up to a hawk. They are skittish birds. Great job, as usual...
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I know for a FACT that you're wrong...

Paul, I don't mean to ruffle your feathers (hey, that's funny! birds? ruffle your feathers? get it?), but I'd bet the farm that what we have here is actually a South Sub-Arctic Overstuffed Tie-Dye Filabuster Cattle Wren.

In your defense, the Cattle Wren has tremendous cameleon-like properties, and under the right circumstances (mainly atmospheric conditions and lighting), can look frighteningly like the hawk you describe.

Word has it that they delight in fooling amateur photographers to no end...

Anyway dude, it was an honest mistake. Just stick with me, and I'll keep you on the right track. Hey, you might even learn somethin'...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: I know for a FACT that you're wrong...

So Steve,

Since you are the MYTHOLOGICAL bird expert.... Give me a FITTING latin name of said Cattle wren to complete the story ;)

I know you just wanted to give me props on a hi-key wildlife image taken IN CAMERA ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Re: Plus 1.3 EV

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Got to love exposure compensation. Works great on backlit subjects, but your BG (especially sky) gets washed out. Was the sky blue to begin with, or was it already washed out?

Love the colors and details. Awesome shot my friend. And you don't just walk up to a hawk. They are skittish birds. Great job, as usual...
    Rob,

the sky was grey in color , though the sun was quite bright. By over exposing the scene(evalutive/ matrix) by that much I came up with a File that had a COMPLETELY BLOWN sky , but my AUTO WB gave me a bluish/green cast to the WHOLE scene. I usually use 5500 K as my white balance though
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

few more of my hawk

A few more quick edits ;) These were at +1ev and were too dark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first spring redtailed hawk-6729vertical600.jpg  
    Last edited by paulnj; 04-29-2005 at 10:50 AM. Reason: 2 files at once NG
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first spring redtailed hawk-c38d6735penny.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Dark eyed junco

taken first week of April. DON'T make me upload 100 images ;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first spring redtailed hawk-6215-de-junco.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Oh, that's right. I forgot...

...you're one of those pseudo-scholars hung up on traditional archaic latin verbiage.

If memory serves me (I did study latin as well as watched birds a few semesters at Our Lady of the Swollen Knuckles Catholic school as a youngster in Crack Rock, NY - which, btw, considering I'm Methodist was quite a trip...), the proper scientific name is:

wrenchothorus cameliadelphia dayglodytes

And yes, I believe this is the only existing bird to have a scientific name in THREE parts...

IN CAMERA? I don't think I've ever heard the term. Oh, is that fiddling around with the camera and doing all that dumb stuff we do BEFORE we open an image in photoshop???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Oh, that's right. I forgot...

Looks like cut and paste to me!

Nice shots Paul, good to see you posting again.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Wink Too Dark

Yeah, I was going to say something about that, but I won't since you already mentioned it. ;-)

Dude, I love this shot of the hawk leaving his perch!!! Great catch!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Nice shots Paul, I thought you'd be down south hunting that rare woodpecker by now. These shots would be easy to add to a different background with photoshop.I know some will say it's cheating, but just go out and get a nice sky shot and put it behind your hawk.
    Mike

Hunting the ivory billed would take months of canoeing ;) Also I don't think 1more guy frightening it would be right for the sake of the species. But I do hunt RARE birds of NJ every chance I get that I'm not too tired (like in 15 minutes)

As for changing the BG.... NO WAY!!!!! I dig the hi key look and HATE photo artistry ;) If it can't be taken in my camera with a few suttle changes... why bother is MY theory

I don't clone branches, change BG's or gaussian blur (well very rarely), but surely can if I chose to.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Paul,
    Awesome shots... I'm glad to see you posting more pics!
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thread Information