ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

First long exposure water flow.. thanks for the advice!!

Did this today. 7:30 am, shade... was perf. F/11 0.3 seconds, ISO 100. I have another place scoped out for a better test of this technique, but gotta wait til its evening or cloudy.

Comments welcome. I am rather proud of this one. Thanks to you all who helped me figure it out.

A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Getting there. I think you need more in the picture from the top right leading into this shot to make it stronger. Try taking images at different settings starting at fast and then working down slowly taking one at each step. So 1/250, then 1/125, then 1/60, etc etc. Keep the f/stop the same and see the differences which will show you what setting is better, then you can get a better idea of what each settings results are.

That sounds like an effective idea, I'll try that. Not sure if I can get a different angle unless I get some waders, I was at about the only standable spot by that creek... I nearly fell in due to such a sandy shoulder, had to dig in my monopod's foot like an ice axe.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Looks like your off and running and have the vail look you wanted.

Here's a tip. I notice a branch in the upper left hand corner of the shot. A good way to help find these before taking the shot is to step down to ~f/22 and press the dof preview button. This will help highlight things protruding into the frame. Then, if possible, you can correct for them at the time of the shot.

Mike

Thread Information