ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

A few shots from today

#1 Time has forgotten this old truck in Tapo Canyon, Simi Valley. Used the antique action in ps and adjusted color balance. Does it work?

#2 A man who appeas to be in deep contemplation, Topanga State Park, Encino.

#3 Here comes Peter Cottontail, hopping down the bunny trail, Topanga State Park.

#4 Elegant Clarkia, a common wildflower of the Santa Susanna and Santa Monica mountain ranges.

Canon EOS DRebel w/Sigma AF 28-80 & AF 70-300 lenses.

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A few shots from today-truck.jpg   A few shots from today-contemplation.jpg   A few shots from today-rabbits.jpg   A few shots from today-elegant-clarkia.jpg  

Nice shots

Hey Ray, nice shots. Don't you love the freedom and flexablity your DSLR gives you. Like the truck, and flower shots best, you did a superb job with them. I know this isn't the critque forum but my nits with the other two is the main subject is just too centered for me. The man could be really nice with a little different croping or framing. Then again I don't know what other distracting things are out side the frame that you were able to avoid with this crop. It's always so easy to sit here in front of a monitor and find thing you think you would have done differently, but with out being there who knows. Very nice post.

I Guess I'm Getting Old...

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    #1 Time has forgotten this old truck in Tapo Canyon, Simi Valley. Used the antique action in ps and adjusted color balance. Does it work?

#2 A man who appeas to be in deep contemplation, Topanga State Park, Encino.

#3 Here comes Peter Cottontail, hopping down the bunny trail, Topanga State Park.

#4 Elegant Clarkia, a common wildflower of the Santa Susanna and Santa Monica mountain ranges.

Canon EOS DRebel w/Sigma AF 28-80 & AF 70-300 lenses.

Ray
    'Cause I agree with Old Timer. :-O

I like the truck pic OK, but I don't care much for the sepia tone. Which strikes me as odd, since the sepia tone was used to enhance the "old" feeling here. Maybe a straight B&W would have more appeal to me.

I love the shot of the guy on the mountain, but I'm curious why you centered him. Like O.T., I'm guessing you were trying to crop something out. Otherwise, that is a great catch.

Great shot on the cottontails! Great catch!

Beautiful flower shot. Flowers seem so simple to shoot. Put you camera on a tripod and take the shot. RIGHT! Angle, light, DOF, a slight breeze, or some other minor thing can turn a great shot into another ho-hum snapshot. Great colors and lighting. You nailed this one.

I really like your range of subjects. Makes for a great collage.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Penny, OT, and Speed!

Regarding the composition of the second picture, there really wasn't much of anything else around the person. Just more brush and open space. This photo was straight out of the camera except for sharpening (just the way I like it!), so there was no cropping done at all. Feel free to recrop and give it a different framing if you think it will help.

OT, yes I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my new DRebel SLR. This camera is just what I needed, and will keep me satisfied for a long time. All I need now is a good wide angle lens.

Speed, I'll try a b/w version tomorrow (saturday) and then post it. I've got to attend my first ever Dodger's game tonight. I'm not really into sports at all (in fact, wasn't even my idea to go), but it'll be a great photo op nonetheless.

Ray

Black and white...

I'm looking forward to seeing the b/w version of the truck. And your baseball photos.

I'm with everyone else on the 2nd shot. My only beef is the guy being centered.

I hear you on the need for a good wide angle lens. I didn't realize how often I used the wide part of my 28-135.

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    Thanks Penny, OT, and Speed!

Regarding the composition of the second picture, there really wasn't much of anything else around the person. Just more brush and open space. This photo was straight out of the camera except for sharpening (just the way I like it!), so there was no cropping done at all. Feel free to recrop and give it a different framing if you think it will help.

OT, yes I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my new DRebel SLR. This camera is just what I needed, and will keep me satisfied for a long time. All I need now is a good wide angle lens.

Speed, I'll try a b/w version tomorrow (saturday) and then post it. I've got to attend my first ever Dodger's game tonight. I'm not really into sports at all (in fact, wasn't even my idea to go), but it'll be a great photo op nonetheless.

Ray
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

black and white for Speed and Troy

I still favor the sepia tone image, but tell me if you like this better.

Photos from the Dodger's game will be forthcoming tomorow evening.

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A few shots from today-truck-bw.jpg  

Thread Information