ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.

I took these this week near Pigeon Forge Tn. I still can't get the raw files from my D90 to work in Photoshop so these are JPEG files that have been re-sized so I could post them, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0107-copy.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0113-copy.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0122-copy.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0141-copy.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0253-copy.jpg  

Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: a few shots from The Ozark Mnts.

Not to be a know-it-all, but I'm pretty sure the Ozarks don't extend to Tn. This would be part of the Appalachian range. We visit the AR Ozarks quite a bit since my grandmother lives in the Ouachitas.

These pictures are making me even more impatient for my vacation! Great shots.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Pretty shots, Jeff. I like the bridge one best. Looks fresh and cool.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

What a beautiful area! Nice photos :]

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Not to be a know-it-all, but I'm pretty sure the Ozarks don't extend to Tn. This would be part of the Appalachian range. We visit the AR Ozarks quite a bit since my grandmother lives in the Ouachitas.

These pictures are making me even more impatient for my vacation! Great shots.
    I corrected the title to read Smokey Mountains. You are right about the Ozarks, I go to Branson Mo. a lot also and put down the wrong name. Where I come from a speed bump is considered a mountain sometimes, LOL, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.

Here are a few more that I took on my vacation. These were taken at Cades Cove, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0345-copy.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0374-copy.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0417-copy.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0327-copy.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0377-copy.jpg  

*sigh* Only 9 more work days and I'll be there

The deer is lovely!

Nice stuff, Jeff. Welcome back btw.
    Keep Shooting!

The Smokies are a favorite vacation spot for folks in my area only about 5 hours away. I haven't been for several years but your pics make me want to pack up and head that way again. Glad you had a good time and got some great images.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks to everyone for taking a few minutes of your time to look at my my pictures and make comments. This is a nice place to take a vacation and I hope many of you get the opportunity to go there, Jeff

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Nice set of images, Grandpaw.

I take it that your new D90 performed well for you. What difference(s) did you notice the most in terms of performance/handling of the D90 over your previous camera? Just curious.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Nice set of images, Grandpaw.

I take it that your new D90 performed well for you. What difference(s) did you notice the most in terms of performance/handling of the D90 over your previous camera? Just curious.
    The main difference between the D90 and the D80 was in the white balance. With the D90 set on direct sunlight all the pictures taken in the shade had a green tint to them. I need to play with it a little and see if an adjustment will fix that. When I used auto white balance the pictures were fine. I also had the Nikon 70-300VR that I purchased at the same time and the VR makes a big difference.

The higher ISO is one of the reasons I bought this camera and it works very well in the higher ISO settings. The attached picture was taken with these settings. This is a JPEG straight out of the camera except to re size so I could post the photo. This is a picture I took of an eleven year old singer on stage at the Country Tonight Show. I was setting about 7 rows back on the left side of the theater and the young man was all the way to the right hand side of the stage.
    Nikon D90
    F/5.6
    1/50 sec
    lens was Nikon 18-200VR zoomed all the way out
    ISO 2000
    no flash
    spot meter

When I got back from vacation the Sigma 10-20 zoom was waiting for me. I tried out the Sigma and was very impressed with it. After I use my new toys for a little while I will post some reviews on them, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0281-copy.jpg  

2000? 2000?

Ok, I'm Impressed!!
    I've done some 1600 that look ok until I look at them larger. Does this still hold up at a 50 to 100 % ?
    Keep Shooting!

Frog, this is about a 1/3 crop out of the center of the picture I posted before. This is straight out of the camera except to crop and re size. Let me know what you think. I cropped it out of the center and enlarged it also. I am very happy with the results, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0281-copy.jpg-800.jpg  

Sweet, Jeff.
    I especially looked here to post what you have to a question from someone in help asking about a faster lens or flash and he/she is using a d90 so I was going to remind them that they can push that iso and use this thread as an example.
    Keep Shooting!

Admittedly not a great picture but this one of the water I took at ISO 3200 without noise reduction on and is straight out of the camera except to re size to post.

I added another outdoor picture of a deer that is straight out of the camera at ISO 2000 with a second cropped version of the same picture, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0199-copy.jpg-800.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0347-copy.jpg   a few shots from The Smokey Mnts.-dsc_0347-copy.jpg-cropped.jpg  

Me thinks Grandpaw is happy with his new camera, as well he should be.
    Nice stuff, Jeff.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Let me know what you think.
    I think I never would have guessed it was at ISO2000! Nice shots, looks like you had a great vacation.

Thread Information