ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Fading Memories

Fading Memories

We all have memories from our youth that seem to be fading as we grow older. The Mail Pouch barns were so common at one time you didn't even notice them when you passed by, today they are just one more of those fading memories. How about some of your fading memories. Let's see some pictures that bring back those memories.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fading Memories-mail-pouch.jpg  

Great post

I will try to remember something and post later ---after two subsequent pregnancies in the last two years I'm afraid MOST of my thoughts are fading memories They say it takes a few years for the brain cells to kick back into gear---I'm still waiting. Again Great post!
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

It's hurricane season... again...
    Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I will try to remember something and post later ---after two subsequent pregnancies in the last two years I'm afraid MOST of my thoughts are fading memories They say it takes a few years for the brain cells to kick back into gear---I'm still waiting. Again Great post!
    I'm with you Nat, only my memory hasn't come back, and my baby is 7!
    My excuse for the last 12 years has been "babies suck brain cells"!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Smile Oh Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    We all have memories from our youth that seem to be fading as we grow older. The Mail Pouch barns were so common at one time you didn't even notice them when you passed by, today they are just one more of those fading memories. How about some of your fading memories. Let's see some pictures that bring back those memories.

Nice photo, and great post. These things cycle through every so often. I love shots of old houses, barns, etc. Iguana Mom was a big fan of them too. I'll have to dig through my files and see if I can come up with a photo or two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fading Memories-old-house-pelletier-loop-road-2.jpg  
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Doesn't have to be barn or house.

Nice photo Speed, but I don't want people to think this has to be a barn or house. I am more interested in photos that bring back memories like the Mail Pouch sign on the barn. So many things that at one time were so common place are today fading away and are only memories. When you are reminded of them do you take a picture? If so I'd like to see those fading memories shots. Maybe it's that favorite glass that Mom gave you Kool Aid in as a child or that old catchers mit you saw in a junk store or your grade school that has been abandoned for the last 20 years. What are your fading memories?

Took this today...

if you don't know what it is--I feel old.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. -Thomas Jefferson

Nice example

Nice example cush. Yes I do know what it is and it does bring back memories. Thanks for posting.

Cool I Understand

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Nice photo Speed, but I don't want people to think this has to be a barn or house. I am more interested in photos that bring back memories like the Mail Pouch sign on the barn. So many things that at one time were so common place are today fading away and are only memories. When you are reminded of them do you take a picture? If so I'd like to see those fading memories shots. Maybe it's that favorite glass that Mom gave you Kool Aid in as a child or that old catchers mit you saw in a junk store or your grade school that has been abandoned for the last 20 years. What are your fading memories?

But this does remind me of the past. When I was a little boy (too many decades ago) I remember houses like this on Harkers Island and other points down east. It definitely brings back memories for me.

As for other stuff, I've got some old drink bottles I could take photo's of. Glass bottles! That you had to have a bottle opener for! :-O

I'll have to look around and see what else I can come up with.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Some faded memories once gone are gone forever. The only memory I have of the old gentleman in the photo is what my grandmother told me years ago about him. This is my great grandfather a rural mail carrier. He delivered the mail by horse and buggy for many years he carried this pocket watch to make sure he was always on time. After him my grandfather a farmer carried the same watch as he plowed the fields behind a mule or horse. After his death my grandmother gave me the watch and I in turn have passed it on to my son who is named for the old man in the photo. This photo and the album it rest on were products of my great uncle how documented the family with photographes in the early 1900 as well as his tour of duty in France during WW I. Faded memories take all kinds of forms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fading Memories-photo-2.jpg  

As my grandmother was crossing the Ural mountains on her trek from Kiev to Balkhash, as part of a stream of refugees fleeing the advance of the Nazi armies, she shed all traces of her identity - save for this picture of her parents, that she kept in her shoe for the duration of the war. Her father was drafted into the Soviet army a couple of years before the war, and was never heard from again. Her mother was killed along with the rest of her family, save for her baby niece, during the first Nazi bombing run of the USSR (my grandmother later gave up her baby niece to the Red Cross).

My grandmother is currently descending quickly into the abyss of Alzheimer's - her entire life is a faded memory.

On my mother's last trip to Israel, she managed to convince my grandmother to let her borrow the picture and take it to the US. She then and entrusted me with the honor of perpetuating it digitally.

- Yaron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fading Memories-great-grandparents-retouched-contrast.jpg  

Great story

Great story and a wonderful faded memory photo. Thanks for contributing to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by yaronsh
    As my grandmother was crossing the Ural mountains on her trek from Kiev to Balkhash, as part of a stream of refugees fleeing the advance of the Nazi armies, she shed all traces of her identity - save for this picture of her parents, that she kept in her shoe for the duration of the war. Her father was drafted into the Soviet army a couple of years before the war, and was never heard from again. Her mother was killed along with the rest of her family, save for her baby niece, during the first Nazi bombing run of the USSR (my grandmother later gave up her baby niece to the Red Cross).

My grandmother is currently descending quickly into the abyss of Alzheimer's - her entire life is a faded memory.

On my mother's last trip to Israel, she managed to convince my grandmother to let her borrow the picture and take it to the US. She then and entrusted me with the honor of perpetuating it digitally.

- Yaron

Here are a couple.

A cream seperator like this lives amongt my earlier memories. It sat in a leanto behind our barn and my dad explained how they used to use it to get the cream from the milk and then feed the skimmed milk to the hogs.

Prince Albert in a can brings to mind Grandpa's pipe stand next to his big old stuffed chair and Sunday afternoons in their living room.

The pics were taken at a flea market behing held in conjunction with a thresharee, which was it's own trip down memory lane of harvests and Wisconsin farm life in the early 1950s that I took with my kids some years back.

Thanks, Old Timer, for being the tourguide on this trip to the past.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Lots of memories here

Lots of memories here. As a five year old one of my favorite jobs was to load my fathers pipe after work. He would settle back in his arm chair to to watch our brand new used b&w 1951 model Olyimpa TV and my five year old fingers were just the right size and had just the right strength to load his pipe to perfection. Or at least that is what he lead me to believe. The big can of Prince Albert rested by his chair for several years. Thanks for your contribution and the walk down memory lane.

Thread Information