ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

one more thing to over analyze in my life

I will always go to shoot with my left eye but end up with my right since it's the clearest vision of the two... and I have always rotated CCW. the only time I rotate CW is during self portrait sessions and that's only because I have to be able to push the "button"

Since this has become a TMI sort of post I'll share the strangness as well...I'm right handed but have a tendency to wake up and watch movies and look at most situtaion with my right eye closed and my left eye open (Larry makes fun of me sometimes) it's a habit that I'm unaware of ---till someone points it out...I am right eared hearing.... and

Once upon a time when I was thinner and not left knee ACLery(translates to detached The Anterior Cruciate Ligament which needs reconstruction) challenged and played soccer I too was right chested ---aaaahhh the good ole days.....

good post Sean!
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Started with my left,

then learned that if you're left-eyed you get the film advance lever of your manual camera stuck in your forehead, so I switched to right-eye. Now I can't see through my viewfinder with my left eye. Weird.

I've got one up on all of you - when I get my negs/slides back there's always a few veticals shot either way - but then I find frames where my camera was upside down and I wonder how in the heck I did that?!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Wink I too was right chested

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I will always go to shoot with my left eye but end up with my right since it's the clearest vision of the two... and I have always rotated CCW. the only time I rotate CW is during self portrait sessions and that's only because I have to be able to push the "button"

Since this has become a TMI sort of post I'll share the strangness as well...I'm right handed but have a tendency to wake up and watch movies and look at most situtaion with my right eye closed and my left eye open (Larry makes fun of me sometimes) it's a habit that I'm unaware of ---till someone points it out...I am right eared hearing.... and

Once upon a time when I was thinner and not left knee ACLery(translates to detached The Anterior Cruciate Ligament which needs reconstruction) challenged and played soccer I too was right chested ---aaaahhh the good ole days.....

good post Sean!

Hmmm, but I'm a perv?!

Sean asked about eye/hand use. And somehow, we've gotten off on a tangent about being right chested.

My, my. my.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Right Eye, Right Hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    I am right handed, but my left eye is much more dominant, and I have to use it for photography.

In turn, I also rotate my camera CW to do vertical shots, so that the camera is hanging off the left side of my face, with my left eye in the viewfinder.

Not sure how a vertical grip will feel with my left eye in the viewfinder, will it be crammed on the right side of my face? haha.

What about the rest of you? Any other left eyed shooters?
    Naturally! OK, actually, I'm partially ambi. I can do some things left handed (like batting) but not everything.

And I turn the camera CCW 99% of the time. The odd times I don't is because there is something on the left that will block the flash.

I've got a buddy who's right handed, but left eye dominant. It's a struggle. My heart goes out to those that have to deal with that sort of thing. You're always making adjusments to compensate.

Interesting thread Sean!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Hmmm, but I'm a perv?!

you're among friends...confessions are good for the soul...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

nobody cares anymore but I liked this question.

I'm right handed but left eyed. Always. I can't even imagine using my right eye in the viewfinder.

BUT, rotation CW or CCW makes no difference to me, and I use both...it just depends on whether something is blocking my right elbow from going up, or if something is going to block the flash (like my left hand, for instance), or where it happens to be easiest to reach the button.

And I've never played futbol, so I have no idea which chest I am.... ;-)

~Kelly

Right, right, CCW.

Re: Which eye do you use in the viewfinder? And what hand are you?

Here's an article I wrote recently for another forum:

Have you ever wondered why they never place the viewfinder on the right rear of the camera? I notice a lot of photographers view with their right eye. I found out: When Leica and Contax were being designed, the ideal place for the viewfinder was at the left rear of the camera,because if the photographer held the camera against his brow,while using the left eye to view, the camera could be held steady against the width of the brow,virtually eliminating shake- (Ironically enough, Leica manuals always depicted a right-eye user!!!)Even with Dslrs the viewfinder is to the left of centre. When viewing with the right eye, there can be a tendency to roll the camera around the right of the brow,even ever so slightly could add to camera movement-so if any of you right-eye shooters are having problems with camera shake when hand-holding, it may make an improvement, by using the left eye. I learned a lot of basic photography from Victor Blackman,star photographer for the U.K daily,"TheDaily Express" in the early 1960's-He was very emphatic about using the left eye for more stability in hand holding cameras.

ELS

Hello:

To add to this "OLD" thread - but newly posted response brought to my attention:

I shoot left eye, right eye blind.. (Blind enough can not use it).

Nose prints on the 'ole LCD.

I vary how I rotate the camera for vertical shooting..

Thanks for reading,

Have a nice day...

Ed

Right eye through a viewfinder, right handed, right foot forward on a board (goofy), left foot forward on a bike.

If your not totally bored yet, see my post here and take the poll !

Are you right eyed or left eyed?
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Quote Originally Posted by back_packn View Post
    Well, I'm right handed, and right eyed...

And speaking of "dork" jokes Mig, I've always liked this one (hope you get it):

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
    No Records Found
    My wife bought that on a t-shirt for me!

I'm also right handed and right eyed. But I'm pretty good with my left hand too from when I shattered my my right elbow when I was 18 and had to become a lefty for a year. Now I can often just use which ever hand is available.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Right handed, Right eye.
    But currently ambisinistrous after the car crash.

I can shoot with whichever eye gives me the best view of the action with the other eye.
    Because it's good to keep a wide view out with the left eye round the edge of the body while shooting telephoto with the right eye. That way I'm more aware of what's happening around me. There may be action developing (an overtake in the making) that I'd miss with the view through the lens.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information