ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Editing other peoples work

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    A new member came in, grabbed a beautiful photo and added in three women in bathing suits, a fireball, and a beer glass. Probably the worst thing he could have done.
    Now that sounds like my type of editing

Good Lord! That's not editing, that's a complete re-work and an insult to the artist.

I admit to being guilty of doing it. But mostly just with folks that I felt comfortable with. I should keep in mind that while we're all friendly here, we're not necessarily friends. I think I may have been guilty of doing that to John (the original poster) too. Sorry about that, sweetie! But I too feel that if you have a suggestion, feel free to edit it as you see fit. Doint what that crazy man did by adding the women, beer and such is NOT an edit. Sorry. It's a complete misrepresentation of the original and its intent.

I've altered my siggie to show my preference.

Also, I would NEVER do that, or agree with anyone else doing it, in any other forum outside of critique. I also put that down in my siggie (my CRITIQUE REQUESTS can be edited). Anything I post elsewhere that is not in critique, is something that I'm quite happy with to begin with. So, no no on the edits to those.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler
    Good Lord! That's not editing, that's a complete re-work and an insult to the artist.
    Come on, lighten up D! Don't take things so seriously. Very little posted in Critique qualifies as art anyway or it would not be posted for critique and suggestions for improvement!

Besides maybe adding the girls, the beer and the fireball was a considerable improvement.

Cheers!
    Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Come on, lighten up D! Don't take things so seriously.
    This is a joke, right?

Greg, don't mind him. I've put him on my ignore list. Things are much more pleasant for me now.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Maybe there should be two forums. One for those who are really interested in improving their work and have no problem with photographers illustrating their comments by editing their work. One of the moderators would have my vote for running this forum.

The other one for those that think they are producing art and resent and feel insulted by the slightest edit.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler
    Doint what that crazy man did by adding the women, beer and such is NOT an edit.
    You assume it was a man, huh? ;)
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Maybe there should be two forums. One for those who are really interested in improving their work and have no problem with photographers illustrating their comments by editing their work. One of the moderators would have my vote for running this forum.

The other one for those that think they are producing art and resent and feel insulted by the slightest edit.
    There's a larger issue here - at least in my eyes. That's the issue of professional respect for other people's property. I post images on this site expecting other users to respect my property. I don't have any problem with criticism. But I don't want anyone to physically reinterpreting my images in any way. And I really, really, really don't want any reinterpreted images that might be associated with my name floating around the Web. It's an issue of quality and brand control.

It's really not a big deal. Ask if you can edit and the image owner will say yes or no.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    That's the issue of professional respect for other people's property.
    Exactly. With this post being #59 in the thread, obviously there are some strong opinions about the subject.

So - let's keep it easy. Assume that you do not have permission to edit someone's image unless they've specifically said otherwise (in their post or in their signature as Chunk has done). I don't think anyone wants people afraid to post images here because of the possibility that someone will grab it and edit it without permission.

How about a new setting in 'EDIT OPTIONS' under Control Panel.

"Editing your work by other forum members is permissible? Yes No"

If they put yes then a default message, saying it is ok, would appear for the user when they post a photo.

OR

Just add the question to the same screen where you upload photos. Depending on the answer, a statement will be printed next to each photo:

"Don't mess with perfection!"
    or
    "Go ahead and fix it you self righteous pompous PS genius."

LOL. Just a thought. Maybe it's not worth modifiying the entire site if we could just be polite and ask first.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

another view has the simplest and best solution, in my opinion. No reason to complicate things. There is a guideline posted at the top of Critique, why not add the the additional guideline there? Something like, "Do not edit other members photographs without their permission."
    Lara

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information