ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Hyde Mill

Hyde Mill

Thanks, mjs1973, for telling me about this spot. I think I'll visit it once in a while. I used the partial desaturation on the wheel that we talked about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hyde Mill-01.jpg  

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Hyde Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Thanks, mjs1973, for telling me about this spot. I think I'll visit it once in a while. I used the partial desaturation on the wheel that we talked about.

Chunk, that looks really good. I will have to try that next time!

Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Chunk, this kind of scene has a lot going for it. It's instantly nostolgic. It's history. It's a remembrance of a simpler time and life. Just veiwing it is in some way comforting, like the bridges in " Bridges of Madison County". It's just weird to think that it's just sitting out there in the middle of nowhere, looking the same as it did back then. A lot of people are attracted to this bygone time.

Now, the pic. I didn't see the wheel before so in my mind it just looks like it should look. I don't know if you could just walk around the place, but I think you just about picked the best perspective to shoot from. It's obvious that you chose the right exposure for this and DOF. While some may have wanted to blur the background, I would be irritated by it. The picture does tell a story and I don't want to be cut off in the middle of it. Did you preset the focus? It's detailed throughout.

One problem, and it's a very easy fix, is that the building and whole scene is slanted. Yes, I know that the bottom part of the mill is like that because it's caving in but, the cement at the bottom should not be, nor the wheel nor the fence in the back. I rotated it 2.04° CW in Photoshop and to me it looks better. What do you think? I don't know what the land looks like around there, but if it's in the middle of woods it would be great if next time you're in the area, you could take it from a distance. I think it would look intriguing peeking at it through woods also. Great shot, Chunk.
    Kit
    Last edited by shesells; 09-22-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Chunk, this kind of scene has a lot going for it. It's instantly nostolgic. It's history. It's a remembrance of a simpler time and life. Just veiwing it is in some way comforting, like the bridges in " Bridges of Madison County". It's just weird to think that it's just sitting out there in the middle of nowhere, looking the same as it did back then. A lot of people are attracted to this bygone time.

Now, the pic. I didn't see the wheel before so in my mind it just looks like it should look. I don't know if you could just walk around the place, but I think you just about picked the best perspective to shoot from. It's obvious that you chose the right exposure for this and DOF. While some may have wanted to blur the background, I would be irritated by it. The picture does tell a story and I don't want to be cut off in the middle of it. Did you preset the focus? It's detailed throughout.

One problem, and it's a very easy fix, is that the building and whole scene is slanted. Yes, I know that the bottom part of the mill is like that because it's caving in but, the cement at the bottom should not be, nor the wheel nor the fence in the back. I rotated it 2.04° CW in Photoshop and to me it looks better. What do you think? I don't know what the land looks like around there, but if it's in the middle of woods it would be great if next time you're in the area, you could take it from a distance. I think it would look intriguing peeking at it through woods also. Great shot, Chunk.
    Kit
    Thanks Kit. You are right on all counts about corrections. I didn't take much care with this as I wanted to post it right away last night to let mjs1973 know I had found the mill he had told me about. The wheel has been reconstructed with newer wood which looks out of place in the original. Access is limited to a fairly small area along the road and riverbank and across a small bridge and there was a large family taking portraits there on straw bales they had brought switching different combinations of people in front of the camera for the whole time I was there.

I was just kinda snapshooting, leaving my Canon S30 P&S in program mode and concerning myself only with choosing the focus/exposure point prior to framing the shot. I think this ended up a bit overexposed on the face of the wheel. I wanted to capture the different textures and patterns on the the wheel and structure and figured there would be a good eye path initially up the wheel, across to the building, down the corner to the foundation and back to the wheel. Seemed appropriate that it should be a cyclical path for this subject. I wish I could have heard it operating.

Wider shots are possible and I'll put one up tonight although mjs1973's shot here
    1850's mill
    is better than those I took yesterday. A good wind last Saturday took most of the leaves off the trees leaving them looking a little scrawny.
    I plan on revisiting the site in the different seasons and with better light than I had while there

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Dear Chunk:

I agree with everything Kit said -- GREAT SHOT and, I would love to see MORE!!!

Thanks for sharing this one with us.

Best to You,
    Penny
    Thanks Penny. For you and Kit, here's a wider shot. I left the color of the wheel at its normal saturation so you can see how it feels at odds with the weathered old mill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hyde Mill-01.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Thanks Penny. For you and Kit, here's a wider shot. I left the color of the wheel at its normal saturation so you can see how it feels at odds with the weathered old mill.
    Wow, that is so gorgeous.Yes that pic of the same place by mjs1973 is also beautiful, but It's nice to see it in the different season. Yours has those little pops of color and also the waterfall. Your wide angle really gives us a view of the whole area. I love it. I see what you mean by the wheel, yes I would desaturate it for sure.
    Kit

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Another great shot Chunk! Looks like I'm going to have to make another trip to Hyde.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information