ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Seb

Do you let your lense on all the time?

Hello,

I just read an article (which appeared exagerated) where they suggested to always remove the lense from the body when you don't use it as the weight of an average lense all alone might be enough to get the lense mount to be untrue (in the long run) which would cause focusing problems.

Now that seems pushed hard but I was wondering as I never ever remove my lenses (other than to change them). Also I took the habit to store my camera on my bag with the lense pointing down (the lense supporting the body). Is this a good idea or not?

any comment is welcome

Seb

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're talking about a 300 f2.8, then maybe that's a little different though ! However, a lens like that has it's own tripod mount and rings to mount a strap from. You would actually carry that camera/lens combination by the lens and not the camera.

My main camera bag is a Domke F2 which works best to put the camera body in without a lens on it. I do take the usual precautions when changing lenses on a DSLR, but that's a whole different story. Most of the time, my camera bodies only have lenses on them when I'm using them. That's just the way the bag works best and how I've gotten used to working.

I Leave My Lens On My Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello,

I just read an article (which appeared exagerated) where they suggested to always remove the lense from the body when you don't use it as the weight of an average lense all alone might be enough to get the lense mount to be untrue (in the long run) which would cause focusing problems.

Now that seems pushed hard but I was wondering as I never ever remove my lenses (other than to change them). Also I took the habit to store my camera on my bag with the lense pointing down (the lense supporting the body). Is this a good idea or not?

any comment is welcome

Seb

Unless I'm changing lenses. My camera fits into my bag with a lens on, so that's how I leave it. I worry more about repeated changing of lenses wearing the mount (and it doesn't stop me from changing lenses), than I would worry about distorting the lens mount.

I don't know about your camera, but my lens mount cap doesn't fit nearly as tight as my lenses. I'd worry a LOT more about the cap falling off and my camera insides being damaged. My two cents worth.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

MIne stay on until I change lenses. I do have good bags that, when stored, keep the camera and lens combo with good protection. Never had a problem.

Beware: Mom With Camera
    My camera bag first the camera perfect with my smaller lens left on, and I don't ever take it off unless I need to. It fits neatly in it's little compartment. I never thought *not* to store it that way!
    Kate

Thread Information