ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member xystren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)
    Posts
    235

    Did some photos of a friends band last friday..

    A dark bar can be quite the trick to shoot in... But had a few that turned out ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did some photos of a friends band last friday..-pipedream_web_maho2008-04-11_005.jpg   Did some photos of a friends band last friday..-pipedream_web_maho2008-04-11_009.jpg   Did some photos of a friends band last friday..-pipedream_web_maho2008-04-11_008.jpg   Did some photos of a friends band last friday..-pipedream_web_maho2008-04-1.jpg   Did some photos of a friends band last friday..-pdr_web_maho2008-04-11_011.jpg  

    Cheers,
    Greg

    ---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

  2. #2
    has-been... another view's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Did some photos of a friends band last friday..

    Quote Originally Posted by xystren
    A dark bar can be quite the trick to shoot in...
    Very difficult, and add to that stage lighting that pushes the contrast levels up too high to shoot normally. It's really tough to do this, but personally I prefer shots like this without flash - especially when it's on-camera flash. But sometimes you do what you have to do just to get a shot. Nice Lakland bass too.

  3. #3
    Member xystren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)
    Posts
    235

    Re: Did some photos of a friends band last friday..

    Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Very difficult, and add to that stage lighting that pushes the contrast levels up too high to shoot normally. It's really tough to do this, but personally I prefer shots like this without flash - especially when it's on-camera flash. But sometimes you do what you have to do just to get a shot. Nice Lakland bass too.
    Yeah, I really tried to get some without using the flash, but since it was a dark as it was and even with the ISO and EV cranked up I still wasn't able to get much that wasn't obnoxiously motioned blurred, or what ones I did manage to get were away too out of focus (ARRRGH) to be worth anything

    Regardless I had a fun time, and the band members liked a lot of them, so I can't complain.

    Thanks for the comments,
    Cheers,
    Greg

    ---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

  4. #4
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Re: Did some photos of a friends band last friday..

    You did a good job - I think the first two are great! It is an incredible challenge to get good results in these circumstances. I think you took the challenge - and did well.

    Liz

  5. #5
    Member xystren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)
    Posts
    235

    Re: Did some photos of a friends band last friday..

    Thanks Liz! I'm looking forward to the next venue. Hopefully the lighting will be a bit more friendly, but regardless, it's always a learning experience.
    Cheers,
    Greg

    ---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

  6. #6
    has-been... another view's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Did some photos of a friends band last friday..

    Quote Originally Posted by xystren
    even with the ISO and EV cranked up I still wasn't able to get much that wasn't obnoxiously motioned blurred, or what ones I did manage to get were away too out of focus
    Try using the 50mm lens wide open at f1.8. You might even want to experiment with manual focus, but the depth of field is really shallow wide open so focus will be critical. Timing also is critical - even if someone is jumping up and down, there's a split second that they're motionless (at the top of the jump) and that's the time you'll have the best luck controlling blur. Easier said than done, I know... Don't try to do this all night because you might come back with nothing (reality isn't always fun). Take some "safe" shots, then experiment with weird stuff like this, and maybe slow shutter speeds and flash (aka slow sync or dragging the shutter).

  7. #7
    Member xystren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)
    Posts
    235

    Re: Did some photos of a friends band last friday..

    Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Try using the 50mm lens wide open at f1.8. You might even want to experiment with manual focus, but the depth of field is really shallow wide open so focus will be critical. Timing also is critical - even if someone is jumping up and down, there's a split second that they're motionless (at the top of the jump) and that's the time you'll have the best luck controlling blur. Easier said than done, I know... Don't try to do this all night because you might come back with nothing (reality isn't always fun). Take some "safe" shots, then experiment with weird stuff like this, and maybe slow shutter speeds and flash (aka slow sync or dragging the shutter).
    That sounds like some pretty good advice. I'll give it a go at the next run. Will have to practice some with the manual focus with a wide open aperture to get faster at focusing. As with everything, practice, practice, practice.

    Thanks for the thoughts.
    Cheers,
    Greg

    ---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •