ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Photographer's rights in the UK

Looks like a similar debate is happening in the UK around photographers rights.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7351252.stm

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Photographer's rights in the UK

Yet it's the media hype around the issue that makes the "special" constables feel that they have to do something about photographers* to keep themselves special.
    I heard that because the rules for specials are different to those of full constabulary they are used to do things that the police can't do - and then they apologise for it later.

I'm interested in the idea of a card of rights to wave at a policeman who's intent on stopping you taking photos, is that the same principle as bullfighters using red capes?
    I'm not convinced it will work, at least not in the manner intended ...

* Especially those with the Canon 100-400 L IS 'purve' lens.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: Photographer's rights in the UK

Paul,

Thanks for cheering me up, I needed it after this mornings meeting. I burst out into laughter as soon as I read 100-400 as I knew what was coming next.

I already carry an A4 sheet of UK photographers rights in the bag, just in case. Not sure how useful it would be against "jobs worths".

I noticed in another mail that you've been ill, hope you've recovered enough for a get together in the near future, around Oxford/Didcot. If you have any ideas pass them on and I'll arrange the itinerary.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information