ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decline of Newspaper Industry

Well it's happening, and at a fast rate, newspapers are laying off hundreds and the size of papers is shrinking. Even the papers I freelance for are cutting back not filling positions and putting out smaller papers, and now, even cutting the work of freelancers such as myself. I'm taking a big hit for now, nothing but one race for the next 5 weeks!
    While at the Brickyard 400 this weekend one photographer said his paper cut 200 positions last week and another said they cut just as many.
    In some ways this can help photographers like myself as I am in a position to be able to work for a number of papers at the Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and even the US Nationals so it could work out in some ways. Others may not be so fortunate though.
    It all comes down to the almighty $ and gas prices though.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Decline of Newspaper Industry

You can come work in Salt Lake, it's still a two paper town.
    We have the Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret News.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    You can come work in Salt Lake, it's still a two paper town.
    We have the Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret News.
    Brian

I'm not moving, too many other things going on here to leave

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I'd take one of those jobs, but my motto is that Utah is a nice place to visit ;)

My parents living in Lehi though disagree with me
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Well, Utah is where I am from and where I live...:biggrin5:
    I know and but don't understand why Utah has such a negative reputation, it's a great place to live.
    Everywhere has it's own quirks.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I agree, newspapers are a dying business. However, I fail to see what gas prices have to do with the newspaper industry. They have been dying a slow death for many years; long before the so-called fuel crisis. Detroit has two newpapers, but they have been owned by the same company for about 15 years.
    However, as for SLC; I am seriously considering moving there in about two years to settle down and retire; or at least it is between SLC and Albuquerque, NM.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

High fuel prices have stretched already struggeling papers to the limits, both at the office and through advertisers who drop or cut back on advertising to pay their own fuel bills, it's a vicious cycle. It's even getting harder for the average person to pay for subscriptions due to high fuel prices, then consider the costs of delivering the paper and there again it comes down to fuel and having to pay more to the people who drive the rural delivery routes.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Media overall is taking huge hits with job cuts......

http://www.iwantmedia.com/layoffs.html

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I guess I should have stated, that fuel prices are not the only reason, and until a year ago were probably not a large factor in the decline of the paper news industry. It has been dying for quite some time. How many people actually subscribe to paper anymore? I stopped back in 2000, and switched to the Internet.
    I guessing the Internet is the largest factor in killing the paper new industry for people that run presses, delivery paper, etc,; however, it has expanded opportunities for those who develop and run websites.
    So, even if jobs are lost in one segment, they are gained in another segment. Hopefully, those who are affected can adapt to a new profession.
    Personally, I know of very few people who have changed their lifestyle due to the price of fuel. The Internet has been the biggest factor in changing my lifestyle.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

I don't think I've ever subscribed to the local paper. I used to buy a copy on a lot of Sundays, but most of the time I just don't have the time to read it or choose to do something else with my free time. For years I've read it for free on-line, some days more than others. It's a lot more convenient than a three foot square piece of paper (and dare I say, greener?).

However - one thing I don't understand is why they don't offer something like a premium on-line service. For example, $25 a year for no annoying ads - that's all I want. Some other websites offer this (examples escape me at the moment). I'd gladly pay it, and as it stands right now they're getting nothing from me other than hits on their website. I know that's worth something but not much in real dollars.

f5fstop,

Actually the decline of the newspaper industry is directly related to high fuel prices no matter how you look at it. Prior to 9/11 things in the business were stable, like any business there were some who struggled, mostly in the largege cities who already had poor economies though such is the norm though. However following 9/11 and the jump in fuel prices papers took a huge hit, one that keeps growing as fuel prices rise.
    1: customers cut the paper as it is one item they can do without
    2: advertisers cut newsprint advertising because the readers are down and they too are paying more for fuel
    3: ink and paper cost rise, delivery costs of these items rise
    4: delivery costs for the paper have doubled or tripled
    Meanwhile income has dropped.....

Another View,
    You won't find newpaper sites without advertising, it's the life blood of the media world and it pays more of the bills than subscribers actually do, in fact most newspapers can survive without readers, but not advertisers. The same goes for internet versions of the papers. The drawback is many only put part of a story on line, to get the full story you have to buy a paper.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    The drawback is many only put part of a story on line, to get the full story you have to buy a paper.
    Our local doesn't do this, but some sites have you register if you want to read a full article online. I think NYT is actually one of them, all the way down to some smaller ones I try to keep up with from places I go up north. And it's always free.

Didn't realize that the ads were that big of a percentage. Maybe those hits are more valuable to them than the inconvenience of those goofy ads to readers.

The TV websites are the same, simply due to the fact that advertising is 100% of their income, radio too. Media needs advertisers to survive, so as the economy tanks so do media type businesses..... and the economy is taking a big hit nationally no matter what the political types claim. TV news around here have been laying off people as well, yet the govenor thinks things are just fine

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Gas prices might not be helping but it is far from the real reason why newspapers are suffering. The business has been dieing a slow death for a few years now. Sorry to hear it's starting to affect your livelihood. Hopefully the papers you string for respect the photos you provide for them and don't start hiring out someone who is willing to shoot for less that what it costs to pay the bills.
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

Well this bites, just got a call that an area paper just laid off 5 of it's 8 photographers! They even cut two internships for photogs. There is a chance that two other positions will be cut by December leaving the paper with one photographer instead of 10.

I also found out another local paper has cut positions and not filling them, in fact they are asking readers to take photos and submit sports storires.... ie, they are trying to eliminate the sports department alltogether! This is not good!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    Gas prices might not be helping but it is far from the real reason why newspapers are suffering. The business has been dieing a slow death for a few years now. Sorry to hear it's starting to affect your livelihood. Hopefully the papers you string for respect the photos you provide for them and don't start hiring out someone who is willing to shoot for less that what it costs to pay the bills.

Wrong, talk to ANY publisher and it comes down to rising fuel costs, from advertisers cutting back to pay for fuel to subscribers cutting the paper to pay for gas to get to work to the companies charging more to deliver paper and ink, even producing paper the cost has gone up 60% the last four or five years, all due to fuel increases.... everything revolves around the black gold.
    There are 1,000's of jobs being cut this month in one area, those cuts take away hundreds of daily subscribers from one paper, as well as a few major advertisers who have already let the paper know they are cancelling their ads due to the layoffs. The layoffs are in the auto industry, and are directly related to fuel prices and people cutting back, not buying cars and trucks because of high fuel prices.... the ripple has caused the paper to cut jobs, the only department they had left to cut were photogs (see previous message)

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Wrong, talk to ANY publisher and it comes down to rising fuel costs, from advertisers cutting back to pay for fuel to subscribers cutting the paper to pay for gas to get to work to the companies charging more to deliver paper and ink, even producing paper the cost has gone up 60% the last four or five years, all due to fuel increases.... everything revolves around the black gold.
    There are 1,000's of jobs being cut this month in one area, those cuts take away hundreds of daily subscribers from one paper, as well as a few major advertisers who have already let the paper know they are cancelling their ads due to the layoffs. The layoffs are in the auto industry, and are directly related to fuel prices and people cutting back, not buying cars and trucks because of high fuel prices.... the ripple has caused the paper to cut jobs, the only department they had left to cut were photogs (see previous message)

JS
    If that's what your publisher wants you to believe for why they can't give you more gigs and that's what you want to believe suit yourself but the business model that most newspapers work on is antiquated and not viable. I'd recommended joining the NPPA list serv and getting educated on the subject.
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

in fact they are asking readers to take photos and submit sports storires....
    This thought crossed my mind with CNN's i-Reporter deal. Builds "brand loyalty" for the people who submit and see their stuff featured, I'd bet. Let's see, build loyalty, incur few expenses and get a bunch of stories for free...

High fuel prices are affecting everything. Anyone who doesn't notice, must be living in a shell. I'm on call for a local print shop, as a van driver for long hauls. I used to average 12 hours a week making 2 to 7 hour runs. Now, I average about 12 hours a month, if I'm lucky. Their business has dropped dramatically in the last 6 months. Printing supplies and fuel surcharges are up and the businesses have cut back on their promotions. Consumers and proprietors are cutting back where they can. It's not good.
    Last edited by mn shutterbug; 07-31-2008 at 07:43 PM.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    If that's what your publisher wants you to believe for why they can't give you more gigs and that's what you want to believe suit yourself but the business model that most newspapers work on is antiquated and not viable. I'd recommended joining the NPPA list serv and getting educated on the subject.

Afraid your the one not getting it, this is nationwide, not just my area. One paper laid of 650 people last week, another 250, another 200, it seems the one needing educated is you since your not seeing the problem, and the NPPA isn't going to help you or anyone else if they are feeding you anything else for whats going on with the layoffs and so forth.

As for the paper I shoot for the most, yes, they cut back, but always do at this point of the year, in two weeks my work picks up again, as soon as school starts.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Smile Re: Decline of Newspaper Industry

Well it's happening, and at a fast rate, newspapers are laying off hundreds and the size of papers is shrinking. Even the papers I freelance for are cutting back not filling positions and putting out smaller papers, and now, even cutting the work of freelancers such as myself. I'm taking a big hit for now, nothing but one race for the next 5 weeks!
    While at the Brickyard 400 this weekend one photographer said his paper cut 200 positions last week and another said they cut just as many.
    In some ways this can help photographers like myself as I am in a position to be able to work for a number of papers at the Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and even the US Nationals so it could work out in some ways. Others may not be so fortunate though.
    It all comes down to the almighty $ and gas prices though.

JS
    By the look of those lenses and bodies....

Lucky for you you can always sell your equipment and go back to school !
    :thumbsup:
    (there's always a silver lining)

The way I see it, if you're having bad luck in your neck of the woods why don't you do some exploring (you are a freelancer, after all) and find other avenues? The news isn't dying; the transportation of it is. That's okay, that's called evolution. The internet is a market of its own, like another view suggested - online subscriptions need to become more common. Web journalists have become common, and up in my neck of the woods (canada) they actually do just as another view suggested; subscribers subscribe to the website and get their news online for a certain few per year (50 $ actually for the paper im thinking of).

I think TV news is dying too. I never watch tv anymore and I don't know anyone that does xcept for dvds and movies. I haven't turned on the news on the TV in months and months. Who has time to sit down for an hour in this day and age?

Evolution is the key.

Gas is a problem, but i'm not worried about losing money from what I do from it..i'm more worried in the rising cost of living. Want to know my @#$%ing grocery bill? 200 $ a WEEK. I pay 6.50 for 4 litres of freaking milk, 4 $ for a loaf of plain bread. Now THAT's something to bitch about.
    Last edited by Kajuah; 08-01-2008 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajuah
    By the look of those lenses and bodies....

Lucky for you you can always sell your equipment and go back to school !
    :thumbsup:
    (there's always a silver lining)

The way I see it, if you're having bad luck in your neck of the woods why don't you do some exploring (you are a freelancer, after all) and find other avenues? The news isn't dying; the transportation of it is. That's okay, that's called evolution. The internet is a market of its own, like another view suggested - online subscriptions need to become more common. Web journalists have become common, and up in my neck of the woods (canada) they actually do just as another view suggested; subscribers subscribe to the website and get their news online for a certain few per year (50 $ actually for the paper im thinking of).

I think TV news is dying too. I never watch tv anymore and I don't know anyone that does xcept for dvds and movies. I haven't turned on the news on the TV in months and months. Who has time to sit down for an hour in this day and age?

Evolution is the key.

Gas is a problem, but i'm not worried about losing money from what I do from it..i'm more worried in the rising cost of living. Want to know my @#$%ing grocery bill? 200 $ a WEEK. I pay 6.50 for 4 litres of freaking milk, 4 $ for a loaf of plain bread. Now THAT's something to bitch about.
    I watch the news in the morning and evening, well, in the morning IF I'm up

Yes, the internet is where many find their news now, but many papers are going the wrong with their internet news, and around here all of them are going the wrong way with it. But thats a whole nuther story.

Yes, your food prices are going up, and it is directly related to FUEL PRICES! So yes, you DO care about the rising cost of fuel. Fuel affects every aspect of your life, and oil is the bottom line for every business and it's used in almost every product or production line at some point or another. Notice the price of aspirin has gone up with the price of oil? Rhats because a byproduct of oil is used in asprin. The price of some foods here has gone up 60% this year, from the farmer and through every aspect of foods travel from the seed to the plate the costs have gone up due to the rise in fuel prices.
    One truck driver told me that his fuel expenses went from $500 a day to $1400 a day in the last two years. You and I end up paying for that increase at the grocery store

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I work in the news industry as well, so I'll share my full perspective later when I'm not so tired...but I will for now say that I feel that there is far more to the decline of newspapers and 'quality' media than is said here. I do feel that as time goes on, we'll do what we always do when the market is flooded with alternatives- seek out the better quality source. That means experienced pros. More and more, I find we're asked to be jacks of all trades and do four times the work in half the time. If not, they turn elsewhere- e. g. the iReport thing.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

I agree with you, deckcadet. I notice a lot of word passed around by professional photographers that they are afraid of losing business because now every self taught teenager with an XTI and a couple of thousand of dollars in glass thinks they can do wedding shoots for as little as 200 $. The scary thing is some people actually CAN and do use photography as a secondary source of income ... however, they do not have the right to call themselves professional, in my opinion, because their knowledge and expertise is just not that of someone who could call themselves a professional 20 years ago.

I see no problem, though, eventually it will be a question over quality besides quantity despite level of expertise, despite price, despite equipment.

You see it here every day, people who give away photos, especially in the sports forum. The biggest thing in todays world is a lack of respect in all facets of life, and in the photography business it's rampant, where newbies give away or well undersell the "old timers" and those who really know the business.
    Part of this is due to the digital camera and the fact anyone with a camera thinks they are a photographer.
    What really burns me is that there are no controls used to limit access to many events. Go to the Indy 500 and you have 100's of people with P&S cameras and credentials for Hot Pit who have no clue what they are doing and they think they can get the good shots. They also have no clue what etiquette (sp?) is and will just reach out or lean into your shot. Whats hilarious, to a point is seeing some clown with a P&S and a tripod or monopod . One moron even set up a tripod on pit road one day! Didn't take long and the Yellow Shirts had him and removed him from pit road. My feeling is that unless they are a pro with pro gear, not P&S or even the so called "pro-sumer" gear. It's either pro gear or no gear if your going to have access to to pit road, inside or outside turns and so forth, otherwise shoot from the mounds or seats and don't complain about the fences in the way.
    At the Brickyard 400 there were numerous people taking photos from and area set up for pros and the people who had no credentials wouldn't move out of the way either. That will be fixed soon though as the track is putting a wall up to keep spectators out of that area for the pros.
    Unfortunately until someone is seriously injured or worse nothing will be done to limit the pits to those with pro cameras, and no IQ test is required either....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information