ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    zen

A couple of leaves

Some fall color from GA. The weird looking one is a double exposure, layered together in post. I also added the sun-flares in post.
    Ok so I tossed in a cpl of the kids too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A couple of leaves-apuase_awe.jpg   A couple of leaves-piratekaiwjack.jpg   A couple of leaves-autumnabstractweb.jpg   A couple of leaves-autumnalorchidweb.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zen; 11-14-2008 at 03:17 PM.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: A couple of leaves

These seem surealist to me.....I like them.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Orton effect on the last two?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Definately liking the last two a lot!

The leaves are really fantastic and I love this camera effect. Thank you Paul for giving it a name. I was staring at these pictures thinking and how much it adds to these pictures, only to discover it has a name! I googled it and am now playing in photoshop!
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

zen

Wow, thank you all for the encouraging comments.
    Not sure what Orton effect is. I guess I should google it too. LOL

The double exposure in the first image is actually two different shots, taken from different viewpoints, about 2 ft. apart.
    Most of what I do to get the effects in the last two shots (though they are really quite different) is duplicating the original layer, pushing the contrast, brightness, and especially the saturation, really too much for the image to look good any more. Then I add a gaussian blur. Once I have the image to a state of bright, contrasty, extremely colorful gooeyness (not a real word) I will usually use blend it with the original image with overlay, soft light, or hard light.
    In the case of the 4th picture here I duplicated my "overlay" image again, and left the blending mode at normal and adjusted the opacity to somewhere between 35-65%. This has the effect of in camera double exposure softening. In which one shot would be taken at half a stop overexposure, and then another identical shot also overexposed by half, but with the lens intentionally thrown out of focus. Depending on how soft you wanted the image to be the out of focus exposure could be just slightly out or to the point of having an unrecognizable subject.
    There are of course other things done to these images, from high pass filter layers with edge sharpen, to desaturated layers in different blend modes, to achieve depth. The thing I have found about PS, being self taught, is that you really have to play with images, and remember, once you have the image saved, it's safe. You can take a perfectly beautiful photo, and mess it up something proper, if when you're done you hate it, that's fine. It was about the learning and not the image. LOL

zen, when wombat asked if it was the orton effect i googled it and the tutorial was almost exactly what you did! i have such little experience in photoshop was amazed to see that it's actually pretty easy to do. i'm not sure how i compared to your two (which i *love* by the way), but i posted my own attempt in the critique area. i like your work, keep it coming!
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

zen

Thanks Nat, praise really means so much more when t comes from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Here to learn more

wow. those are great photos awesome colors !!

zen

Thank you poodle. Really can't wait to get a DSLR, right now all the magic is created post, it's lies,...all LIES!
    LOL

Thread Information