ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Confederate Cemetary

I was ask through my mom to cover this Confederate Cemetary by the Mayor of Resaca. They are wanting a picture of the Rock Archway to go on the city letterhead. My time was limited today but I plan a return. The soldiers were buried in a circle. I think this is the only cemetary un the U.S. where this was done. I think the story goes that a local woman came by after a huge battle and took it on herself to bury the dead. Not knowing any better she and other volunteers buried the dead in a circle. I took these with my M6 and a 15mm Heliar lens. Any suggestions for my return will be appreciated.....

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Confederate Cemetary

Nice photos, Greg. I visited this cemetery many years ago and you have done a very fine job of capturing the solemnity of this final resting place. I especially liked the use of a variety of color tones...well done!

Greg McCary, the B&W and the Sepia Tone look like they where taken before the 1900's.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Greg, I am starting to get Jealous..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Well done Greg, nice bit of history as well. That lens really works well for that 4th photo in particular.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Greg, I like the 1st and the 4th the best, the fourth photo reveals the circle pattern of the graves the best, I can't really tell with the others, but I'd go back at a diff time of day so the tree doesn't cast a shadow through the center of the pic like that. The first photo has a wreath that looks sort of like a red ball in the distance, I think it competes w the red flag and it doesn't fit. I'd like to see the sepia tone on the 4th photo.The sepia really adds to the effect and mood of the pics and I love the trees in the last photo, they look like tired old soldiers too. Maybe they are keeping watch.......

This is a great series, I know that the mayor will be very pleased with what you have done here. I have only very positive comments about these photos, great job.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Re: Confederate Cemetery

I especially like number one and number four. Either one would make an impressive opening picture to a series covering the cemetery, Jeff

I
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like one and four the best, also. Only thing I'd say is that I don't like the tree directly behind the cross but I do like the higher angle compared to number 3 as it shows the circle better.
    Nice stuff all the way around though.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks everyone. I agree with you on the tree Frog. I meant to shoot it from a slightly different angle, but ran out of film and time. Don't tell Aaron he just sent me a care package full of film.LOL
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

More and more... to my untrained eyes, film is the way to go. It has a look that digital does not have. The images look real and place you back in time....It is also getting easier and easier to tell the difference.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

This is a very nice series Greg. I like how you framed the Confederate flag with the arch way in the first shot. It's almost like looking through a portal into a different time. :thumbsup:
    -Bruce

Thread Information