ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Comments in the Galleries...Everbody read please

Here at PR.com we are really psyched to have a gallery system as up to date and easy to use as we now have. We all want this gallery to be a success, and I am sure that all of you out there feel the same way...

So as a personal favor to me and to the PR.com you love so well I am asking that everybody that posts here in this forum go and make at least one comment a day in the galleries. It's not that big a deal guys! One click....Look I'll even put a link right here so you don't have to scroll up GALLERY.

So now then, Ya'll have no excuse if I don't see some action in those galleries real soon....;)

Oh yaeh! I wanna see more Pics too! Don't forget my picture posting friends you can post bigger and better pics in the forum if you use the gallery links that are provided in the advanced version of the PR.com thread editor. Just look under the "Miscellaneous Options" section in "edit options" of your My Account page.

So are we straight here? you post at least one comment in the gallery everyday you log on to PR.com, and you use the gallery to upload pics to the forums. By George I think we have a weeener!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I guess...

...it's only fair to let you know some of the reasons I feel more comfortable using the forums than the galleries. Maybe some of them are because I haven't stumbled on the way to do things there.

The settings don't stick. I choose a way to look at things and that way has to be reselect each time I enter or reenter a gallery.

Some things aren't selectable - like how to display threads. For some reason they are displayed opposite what I have selected in my profile and that's backward to my way of thought.

On the forums I can see which threads I've participated in and might want to look for answers or see someone else's take on things - as far as I can see, there is nothing like that in the galleries.

When you do select a photo, you have to reload the page to get it to show the large version of the file. While this may make for a whole lot more ad loads, it's kinda irritating from this end - especially when viewing from home. It's bad enough that we have all the problems with silly ads without doubling it all. Along with that I don't care for how the ads seem more closely mixed with content. Why not at least have the display default to the larger pic?

Why have that slideshow strip mixed up in the middle of the page displaying a photo and it's comments/info? You want to look at a photo critically and you have 4 other attention grabbing shots as well as all the bouncing pigs and other visually noisy ads.

It seems confusing to me having shots scattered amongst different galleries according to some scheme I don't understand. Comments made in one gallery do not show up consistantly amongst others.

The loose requirement to comment on at least as many photos as you post works well in other areas, why not require that in the galleries if you want more comments - it might cut down on some folks dumping many similar photos as well.

Because of the space requied for thumbnails, new posts can disappear from the first page extremely quickly. It could be just a matter of minutes before something you post 'disappears'. This effect would be smaller if crossposting to galleries didn't happen.

There are other things as well, but I've done enough whining. I don't want anyone to construe this whining as a complaint as I am very happy using PR in a way I find comfortable. I am very appreciative of the work that the moderators put in to bring us this site and realize as well that those silly ads pay the bills. If you want to force us all to use the galleries, that's your choice but don't be too surprised if some people migrate to other forums on the web.
    ----------------------------

Re: I guess...

Hi Chunk...you know I'm a big fan of your photography

Nobody will be forced to make any changes. If the forums are where you are most comfortable, then this is where you should post. I believe theses are two venues that can be benefical to each individual, and it's their choice whether it's useful to them or not.

I think Almo is trying to generate more interest in the galleries and encourage more people to participate. But it's pretty obvious the gallery is not for everyone, and on the flip side, the forums are not for others.

Sounds to me that there are some flaws in the gallery that should be worked out. It's good that you posted what you do or don't like about the galleries. Otherwise, we wouldn't know.

Thanks Chunk
    Lara

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I don't use the gallery any more, no one commments, no one rates the pictures.
    The forums is the place where things happen, where you actually get discussions.
    The gallery seems to get more a sort of drive-by shooting of your image.
    Usually a one-liner form someone passing by who actually bothered to stop and look.

Sorry, I far, far perfer a discussion here in the forums.
    It's why I'm here !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Ouch

Chunk-
    No one's trying to force you to do anything. And Almo isn't responsible for any of the technical stuff in the galleries, or the ads. He's responsible for deleting anything unseemly, letting me know about problems, and motivating people to upload photos and post comments.

Let me address some of the issues you mentioned:

Ads - what can I say? They pay the bills. I don't like them any more than you do, except for the fact that they pay for a great site that no one has to pay to use. I would like more photography-related ads, and be seeing more of those. If you're being bothered by pop-ups, get a pop-up blocker. I rarely see pop-ups anymore as I'm running the Google pop-up blocker on one machine and Mozilla pop-up blocker on another.

"When you do select a photo, you have to reload the page to get it to show the large version of the file."

This isn't to serve more ads. It's so that people who don't want to load a five megabyte image don't have to. You get to view a reasonably sized image first, and if you want to view a larger one, you can click again. I usually only look at the smaller images. I don't know what other people do. But I can't make it default to the larger view unless I know no one with a dialup connection is going to use the gallery. And I do know people with dialup who use the site, believe it or not.

The "slideshow strip"

I like it. I like that it shows me other similar images that I might not otherwise see. It surprises me. It's an interesting way to browse. Maybe I'm the only one that likes it, though.

"Some things aren't selectable - like how to display threads."

Yup. The software isn't as slick as the forums are. I wish it was. Maybe you can be more specific about the way you like to view threads. If the gallery is doing it contrary to most people's preferences, I think I can change it.

"It seems confusing to me having shots scattered amongst different galleries according to some scheme I don't understand. Comments made in one gallery do not show up consistantly amongst others."

I'm not sure why you wouldn't understand the scheme. You associate a photo with a category and there it is. As for the comments problem, I agree that it's lame. Unfortunately, it's a very difficult problem to fix and it's not going to change anytime soon.

"Because of the space required for thumbnails, new posts can disappear from the first page extremely quickly."

I can decrease the size of the thumbnails and/or add to the number of thumbnails showing on the main page. Would other people like me to do this? I chose the size of the thumbnails because I thought it was a good compromise. They're large enough to really see, but not so large that the page is really slow. Keep in mind that if I increase the number of thumbnails, the pag will load slower. Pageload time is always an important consideration with Web design. You can't assume everyone is using broadband. They're not. I have to cater to everyone, with a protective eye to the person who doesn't have access to broadband.

I'm sorry you aren't happy with the gallery. But it's far far superior to what we used to have. I really, really like it and am proud to have it. Do I think it's perfect? Nope. Will we make it better? Yup. Do you have to use it? Nope. But thanks for your feedback. Without people telling me what they like and want, I don't know.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I am taking note of everyone's criticism of the gallery. I know it's not perfect and would like to improve it. That said, I think there's one serious benefit people are missing. That is, it allows us to create our own personal, searchable portfolios on the site. As a tool for criticism, it definitely has less action than the forums. But if you want to show someone your photos, it's far superior to any forum.
    Photo-John

Re: Ouch

Sorry I caused you pain John, that certainly wasn't my intent. I just wanted to let Almo know why one person doesn't find the galleries a comfortable place to interact. If your intent is not that everyone has to post a comment in the galleries every day as is posted above, you might want to retract that part of the message.

Ads - what can I say?
    I agree that they are a necessary evil in this kind of setup. There are photo serving sites where for a premium, no ads are shown. I suppose that would be a whole level of unwanted business to conduct on this site.

"Some things aren't selectable - like how to display threads."

Yup. The software isn't as slick as the forums are. I wish it was. Maybe you can be more specific about the way you like to view threads. If the gallery is doing it contrary to most people's preferences, I think I can change it.
    The way I like to viewthreads is chronological with new posts appearing at the bottom. I suppose thats a holdover from my paper training. I know others like things threaded and such. It's nice having a choice in the forums.

"It seems confusing to me having shots scattered amongst different galleries according to some scheme I don't understand. Comments made in one gallery do not show up consistantly amongst others."

I'm not sure why you wouldn't understand the scheme. You associate a photo with a category and there it is.
    The scheme I was talking about was what is used by individuals to assign there shots to the various galleries. I enjoy abstract shots but that category seems to hold a lot of pictures that are place in there 'right' (to me) category but also added to the abstract gallery just because they can be and don't seem to fit any others - not because they are a good fit for the category.

I can decrease the size of the thumbnails and/or add to the number of thumbnails showing on the main page. Would other people like me to do this? I chose the size of the thumbnails because I thought it was a good compromise. They're large enough to really see, but not so large that the page is really slow. Keep in mind that if I increase the number of thumbnails, the pag will load slower.
    I think you have a good median for thumbnail size. We do get to choose how many should be shown on a page (up to 18). Maybe you could bump that for folks with faster connections.

I'm sorry you aren't happy with the gallery. But it's far far superior to what we used to have. I really, really like it and am proud to have it. Do I think it's perfect? Nope. Will we make it better? Yup. Do you have to use it? Nope. But thanks for your feedback. Without people telling me what they like and want, I don't know.
    I am happy with the forums I do use though John, and making all us old luddites happy in all things shouldn't be one of your major priorities in trying to make a commercially viable site. I'm glad you appreciate the feedback and wish I could have been clearer about stuff, communication is not my strong point by a long shot.

Starting to thunder here, I better get off the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Hi Chunk...you know I'm a big fan of your photography
    Thanks Lara, you know I'd be happier though if you posted more of your work.

Re: Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    If your intent is not that everyone has to post a comment in the galleries every day as is posted above, you might want to retract that part of the message
    Almo only asked that people post responses in the gallery. No one said anyone has to do anything. In fact, Almo called it a "personal favor." His intent was to draw the community members' attention to a useful section of the site that could use their support. And I'm glad he made his post. I think it's a good one.

But your criticism is useful. I would like the gallery to be a lot better. I don't think it will ever replace the forums. And it's nice to have two different ways to approach things. If you use both parts of the site you'll notice that they both have their own active and dedicated communities. There are a lot of people who use the gallery and not the forums. But the number of replies in the gallery is a little disappointing. Maybe if I can address some of the issues it will improve.

Thanks!
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Thanks Lara, you know I'd be happier though if you posted more of your work.
    I would Chunk, but I don't have anything new to offer. When I get the chance to go out and take some pics, I promise to post. Long story you don't need to be burdened with, but I will do my best to get some shots soon.
    Lara

John, if you remember when you were discussing about starting the gallery, I said, you would have this sort of difficulty. It is just the nature of the beast. People are happier posting in the forum than in the galleries, and I don't think it is going to change anytime soon, no matter how many personal favours there are asked for. I agree with Chunk and Paul and their comments are to the point as well.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Granted!

I got over my permanent ice-cream brain freeze and posted some images in the Toy Camera gallery.

Megan

Re: Granted!

Photo-John, is there any way you you can make *one* part of the gallery easier? I get really tired of posting new images when I have to scroll through 1000 camera options each and every time I post a new picture.

I own two canon cameras, which are a long term purchase. I hate having to scroll through all the A cameras and all the B cameras and all the different Canon cameras, when I *always* pick the same camera each and every time.

So can I somehow choose my cameras (and lenses) and only have *them* to choose from? Then if I buy a new camera I can add it to the list.

Seems like a little thing but it would significantly decrease my irritation level.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: Ok lets see here...

I am just going to hit on a few points here.

To chunk and others who feel the same. All I am really asking is that you make one comment everyday you come to PR.com, not even everytime. Just if you come here on a given day it would help us all a lot and be great to have your support. I do understand you position on this however. When I first came to PR.com I only used the galleries. I guess that is why I came to love them as I do, and I still see them as my home base on PR.com. I use the forums too, and I think they are wonderful. Personaly I do not see any real conflict here. I don't want the galerry to replace the forums, and I don't want the forums to drain the galleries. As I see it they are like PB&J. They compliment each other, making this site that much richer and full of great content.

To PhotoJohn I agree with chunk that we need to bump up the possible number of viewable thumbnails for those who have Broadband speeds while leaving the smaller numbers for dialup users. Believe me I know the world of the phoneline internet user. I used dialup for years, and just recently when my DSL crapped out on me phoneline service was all that I had for 2 long agonizing weeks. So I don't want to forget our slow but steady friends out there. Also I have had a festering niggle about the gallery upload process for a some months now. I would really like to see the option to upload a given image to a third gallery removed. 2 is enough. I only upload my images to 2 galleries at a time. I'm telling you as soon as I did that All of the problems I was getting from crossposting images disappered.

Plus I would like to see a new gallery added for humorous images.

To Kelly, all you have to do to make that easier is to click on the box with camers lenes film ect.. and type the first letter of your camera's maker, C for canon, N for nikon, and so on. Makes it a lot quicker. You can also upload mutiple images buy clicking the upload images button everytime you get to the selection screen. It'll just keep adding photos till you have all you want.

Guys I don't want you to give up the forums, I would just like to see you use the galleries aswell...

Thanks guys! Ya'll are all very great. And we are all lucky to have one another, and this place to come together. Lets all do what we can to make it a richer, more informative, and fun place to hang out!!!!
    Last edited by almo; 04-06-2005 at 06:03 PM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Comments in the Galleries...Everbody read please

I LOVE the gallery and post in it often! I've gotten tons of views, perhaps because I link to it in my signature here in the forums, and I have lots of wonderful comments, and ratings! I check back every few days to see which of my most recently posted images were viewed the most, rated, or best of all commented on! I use the forum as my online photo gallery. Though I can't tell people about it verbally, I can (and do) send out links periodically and a few of my friends have old me they check back on their own.

My major critique of the gallery is the navigation. I have posted this critique before and I think Chunk touched on the same thing. When I'm looking at, for instance, photos from the last 7 days, I click on one and it sends me to the filmstrip. Well, then I see one next in the filmstrip that I like (unrelated to the last 7 days) so I click, oops there's another one, and I find myself several clicks into these filmstrips. Now, I'm done looking at these extraneous images and want back to page 4 of the last 7 days. Oops! No "return" button. I've gotta hit back some number of times until I'm back to the original last 7 days page. That's my nit!

Other than that, I like the gallery and would feel like a major part of the site were missing if it ever were to leave. That having been said, it certainly could use a tune-up!

I post comments when I see something I like, I certainly don't post out of the principle of it. Yet.

I appreciate your alls work!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Kelly, to mirror what Almo said, my life got a lot easier when I raelized I could open the drop-down menu and hit "F" and it goes right to the first Fuji product. I still have to scroll through about 1300 Nikon lenses to get the one I want but it makes a little easier

Hope this helps!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I LOVE the gallery and post in it often! I've gotten tons of views, perhaps because I link to it in my signature here in the forums, and I have lots of wonderful comments, and ratings! I check back every few days to see which of my most recently posted images were viewed the most, rated, or best of all commented on! I use the forum as my online photo gallery. Though I can't tell people about it verbally, I can (and do) send out links periodically and a few of my friends have old me they check back on their own.
    This is just how I feel. I get so reved up when I get a comment!

I post comments when I see something I like, I certainly don't post out of the principle of it. Yet.
    I don't want anyone to post just out of principle, but there is an image for everyone on this site to like in that gallery. Now by your own logic that deserves a comment...
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Kelly, to mirror what Almo said, my life got a lot easier when I raelized I could open the drop-down menu and hit "F" and it goes right to the first Fuji product. I still have to scroll through about 1300 Nikon lenses to get the one I want but it makes a little easier

Hope this helps!
    Rick
    I suppose if I *have* to, I will, but mine is pretty far down the list of "C's" too, and kinda hard to pick out since it's not with others of its kind. I always get just a little bit confused when I'm looking for it. Lenses are even harder, because I don't exactly *remember* the exact specs of my lenses unless I'm looking at the boxes. I'd have thrown the boxes away except I need them in order to post in the gallery.

I would rather see it changed, if possible. There is no logical reason why I have to scroll through cameras I don't have and never will. It would be different if I was scrolling through f-stops or something that is always changing. My camera pretty much stays the same each time I use it. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I suppose if I *have* to, I will, but mine is pretty far down the list of "C's" too, and kinda hard to pick out since it's not with others of its kind. ;)
    Would it help to press "d" and then scroll up? Maybe the camera info could just be set up to be left blank unless someone really wants to post it. We seem to be able to discuss shots on the forums without that info unless someone feels like posting it. If someone does have a question about hardware, they generally ask it. Hey- that would generate one of those now too few comments and open up the chance for a dialog.

I've also noticed that people don't post comments to my pictures unless they know me, and I kinda feel the same way. I'm real squeamish about posting a comment to a name I'm not familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I've also noticed that people don't post comments to my pictures unless they know me, and I kinda feel the same way. I'm real squeamish about posting a comment to a name I'm not familiar with.
    I'd have to agree to a extent. Even though I just put a bunch of pictures up around the beginning of April, you just don't seem to get the same traffic as on the forums. My only post so far is from almo, who critiqued one of my pics on the forums, and then gave me a rating on the critique. I love the ideas of the ratings. It's a nice little thing to use, but it seems like this is going to be a thing where people who know you rate your photos. But I don't mind that, I'm starting to rate 'random' peoples photos right now, just go into one category and do a mass rating. I just wish viewing the pictures would be a tad easier so your pictures don't disappear so quickly.

That's my thoughts,

Jared

I was even inspired my almo (again) and added a link to my gallery page in my sig. Might not be a bad idea to create intrest and traffic to that area of the site.

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    I was even inspired my almo (again) and added a link to my gallery page in my sig. Might not be a bad idea to create intrest and traffic to that area of the site.

Jared
    I stole it from Rick....
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

drg

Whenver I've posted in the Gallery I have tried to review/rate/comment on least as many images as I've posted.

My concern is that encouraging people to review/rate/comment other than when they are genuinely interested in doing so will clog the gallery with a lot of stuff that is handled quite well now in the forums.

Sometimes there is just nothing that is new in Gallery that I want to make much comment regarding unless I resort to brutal candor.

One issue I've always had with rating ANY thing with a 10 scale, is that by setting a standard like that, users should adhere to it or its worthless.
    I can on one hand say I've never seen 1 or a 2 posted, and whats the REAL difference between a 5 and a 6. O.K. I can be cynical so take this with whatever grain of salt you desire.

I do hope, that users will use the Gallery more! There are a lot of really, really good photos from photographers who don't post anything elsewhere or seemingly only post once and never (long time) return, maybe because they don't get feedback.

-CDP dr g (I've got to get back to work!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    People are happier posting in the forum than in the galleries, and I don't think it is going to change anytime soon
    Some people

As I said before, there are a whole bunch of people who would prefer posting on the gallery and don't participate on the forums. They're just different ways for people to share. They both have pros and cons. We aren't trying to replace the forums with the gallery, just rally the troops a little.
    Photo-John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information