ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Comedy/Tragedy of Errors

I didn't realize that my trainer wanted me to bring my camera the other day, so when I talked to before I left work to meet him, he mentioned me taking photos, and I panicked. So before I met him at NYSAC in lower Manhattan for the official weigh-in for Thursday night's fights, I ran to K&M, bought a new Holga, some Tri-X, and gaffer tape. Then went to Duane Reade and bought some batteries for the flash. Got to the weigh in - and was one of three women surrounded by disrobing men. Oh, the horror (staples back of hand to forehead in mock agony.) I was a little embarassed, actually, and ended up snapping only one shot of the weight-in for the main event. Next time I will bring along one more camera and a truckload of more chutzpah.

A similar thing happened for the fights Thursday night. I thought I would have time to get home and grab my Canon, but I didn't if I wanted to get into the fights for free.... so I did have my Holga and my Olympus Stylus (or so I thought.) No 35mm color film for the Olympus - but the fights were conveniently down the block from B&H. Ran there and got some film, got inside, and cound't find my Stylus. Grrrr. Stuck with Holga only. My trainer's fighter (Kid Chocolate, watch for this one) won in spectacular fashion, and I grabbed the HOlga for at least one fantastic shot of him leaving the ring. And gosh-DARN it all, the batteries had shifted and the flash didn't go off. It just wasn't my week! Grrrrrr!
    Megan

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Comedy/Tragedy of Errors

megan....

When do I get to see an image of you knocking someone out ;) Do I need to trech 2.5 hours in to the city to finally get my image?
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Question Re: Comedy/Tragedy of Errors

I am not quite sure if I should laugh or cry here Megan?
    ;)
    Sounds like it was quite an interesting day though!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Sheepish laugh

Unfortunately, the only images of me in the ring that exist are of ME getting knocked out!

But I'm working on some of the opposite!

Megan

Re: Sheepish laugh

My favorite boxing image honestly was the Image of Mike Tyson knocking out Michael Spinks back when Mike was a BOXER .

Can you PLEASE try to get me an image like that, though I can't find the image I am referring to on google. It is an image of Tyson standing over Spinks ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Is it better than this?
    http://www.rezat.com/archives/Ali-Liston.jpg

Now that is classic!

Megan

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I am not quite sure if I should laugh or cry here Megan?
    Yeah me neither! I failed the Girl Scout motto on this one.

(Be Prepared, for those who were never a Girl Scout!)

Megan

About even
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Photos?

Are you going to share some of your boxing images with us? Have you ever posted any? I don't think I've seen them. And I'd sure like to.

You (and mtbbrian) might also be pleased to know that I saw a credentialed photographer with a Holga at the San Jose Grand Prix CHAMP races, the weekend before last. I'd like to see how those photos came out!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Talking Holga's Rock!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    You (and mtbbrian) might also be pleased to know that I saw a credentialed photographer with a Holga at the San Jose Grand Prix CHAMP races, the weekend before last. I'd like to see how those photos came out!
    Holga's Are Taking Over The World!!
    Brian
    ;)
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Except when they SUCK! <LOL> Kidding

Holgas do rock - except when they fail in NOT a cool way. I will post some boxing images when I can actually manage to GET some!

I posted a photo of my trainer a long time ago. I've got a few others of Wayne Braithwaite from a long time ago. Maybe I'll scan and post some.

P-J, if you ever find this guy's images that you talked about above, I'd love to see them.

Megan

learning member

A few weeks ago, I was planninig on starting a simmilar thread.
    As I was getting ready to go to the animal park(photo's have been posted) , I found that the focusing band on my tokina 80- 400 mm lens had broken, and that there were holes under it that would let dus/dirt into the lens without it. I found the the band ( about the same as a wide rubber band )and secured it with scotch tape, as it was all that was readily available, and then I left home in a rush.
    When I got to my freinds house, 22 miles away, there were some interesting subjects that I wanted to photograph. Thats when I realized that my CF card was still at home. It is a 256 MB 40x high speed card with WA ( write acceleration). We went to a discount store and I bought a lexar standard 512 MB card. I shot abou 75 photos with the 80-400mm lens on auto exposure. I took some pics with the camera exposure set to manual just before I changed lenses to the 18-70 kit lens.
    For the next 75 exposures the camera was set to manual exposure, but I thought it was on auto.
    The results: Can't see any real differance from the standard 4x 512MB card to the high speed 40x high speed card.
    It Was heavy overcast, so the manual exposure was right on, I only lost 2 exposures In heavily shaded pictures.
    I was stupid, but I got lucky.
    Mark.

I have had three nightmares in the past three years:
    #1: my truck broke down headed to shoot a semi-state football game for a newspaper and I never made it.
    #2: After putting a new set of batteries (Duracel) into my flash I took a shot and the flash made a strange noise and went "snap crackle pop". Immediately the batteries melted the battery compartment. Turned out is was a bad set of batteries. Duracel still has not replaced my flash! I will never use them again (Oh that was Another semi-state football game.
    #3: shooting at the Indy 500 Pole Day for the AP I arrived only to discover my CF cards were at home.....34 miles away! Fortunately the AP loaned me a card

Oh man!

That stinks!
    Technology - Bah!

Megan

Thread Information