ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Chicago...a tentative headcount?

Also, does anyone have any objections to an earlier main dinner/lunch thingy?

I was going to post in the original thread, but I wanted to make sure whoever was interested saw it. I'm starting to make my plans, so I wanted to find out about the dinner thing.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: Chicago...a tentative headcount?

Quote Originally Posted by adina

I was going to post in the original thread, but I wanted to make sure whoever was interested saw it. I'm starting to make my plans, so I wanted to find out about the dinner thing.

adina
    (raising my hand) for one head and and for having a late luch early dinner sort of thing---I'll be comig into Chicago at about 8am-9am and leaving between 6pm-7pm to fly oput to Texas...

count me in...anyone have ideas on what the distance is from O'hare to where we are meeting and the most efficient way to get there...?
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    ...anyone have ideas on what the distance is from O'hare to where we are meeting and the most efficient way to get there...?
    Chunk's car? Ohare can be on the way in and out of Chicago for me. I'm planning on just a day trip anyway so those times wouldn't be far off from what I would have been planning.

Natalie, O'Hare is the main airport in Chicago but a ways from downtown. On Saturday morning the traffic shouldn't be bad - less than an hour but hopefully someone can verify that because I live the other direction (and going by O'Hare too...). Late lunch sounds good, we'll watch the time to make sure you can get back to the airport when you need to.

Chunk, I'm looking at a day trip too. I live in Rockford so if you want to meet up and then pick up Natalie if that works out? I'd be glad to drive from here - but have a Jetta so hopefully Natalie doesn't pack like Imelda Marcos .

Last year, we were mostly in the museum area - Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium and Soldier Field. It's a great place to see the skyline from and a lot of things to see right in walking distance. Anybody have other ideas?

I LOVE Imelda Marcos

I used to have a similar shoe fetish(still do)---apparently a gene that has been passed on to my daughter...we call her little Imelda(no joke) because a new pair of shoes will stop a tantrum right awayLOL

actually I tend to pack really light...you'll be impressed I promise...

getting P/Ued at the airport would be sweet I can help with gas cost since I would have paid for a cab or something... cool...I'll be the one wearing the tiara and self portraitist sash.... ;)
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thnaks that's nice of you...as I stated look for the glistening tiara...we'll talk more...tahnks for being willing
    ;)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

adina
    I will be there, by myself or with Karen. I should be there late Friday night and leave on Sunday night.

As for an ideal on what to do, how about we take the subway/train to several locations in Chicago to shoot industrial architecture or street scenes. By walking around we can see a lot of Chicago and have lunch. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing Chicago again. I really liked it last time.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I'd like to go!

I would like to go, and I'm free that weekend--it all depends on the transportation/lodging situation. Is anyone planning on driving from or past the Madison (WI) area?? Also, do we have anyone wanting to share space in a hotel room?

Let me know if anyone's thinking along the same lines and we'll try to figure something out. I've been unable to make the gathering the last two years, but I promised I'd make one before I move out of the midwest!

Ghost

Oh surrreeeeee!!!! Do it only a couple weeks before I actually move up there! That Figures!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    Oh surrreeeeee!!!! Do it only a couple weeks before I actually move up there! That Figures!!!!
    Move early! what's a couple of weeks,really?

;)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Add 2 - Definitely Going

I just booked our tickets for Chicago - leaving SFO and arriving in Chicago

San Francisco, CA (SFO) to Chicago, IL (ORD) Friday, Nov 5

Flight Departs Arrives Class Stops
    United Airlines 843 San Francisco (SFO)
    Nov 05
    1:55 pm
    Chicago (ORD)
    Nov 05
    8:05 pm
    Coach Non-stop
    Chicago, IL (ORD) to San Francisco, CA (SFO) Sunday, Nov 7

Flight Departs Arrives Class Stops
    United Airlines 159 Chicago (ORD)
    Nov 07
    7:45 pm
    San Francisco (SFO)
    Nov 07
    10:29 pm

and we are staying at the Westin in downtown by the river. We are open to meeting up, having dinner, and the stories are true. I drink wine, and so does Karen.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Re: Add 2 - Definitely Going

woohoo I finally get to meet the man who brings the passion of a culture to life on paper...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

woohoo I finally get to meet the man who brings the passion of a culture to life on paper...
    Hi Natalie,

Thank you for the compliment, very touching. I am also looking forward to meeting you, and the rest of the group who are equally passionate about life and photography.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

OHHH! My very first sticky thread!!

So do we want to plan for a late lunch/early dinner on Saturday? And does anyone have any suggestions as to where?

adina

http://www.choosechicago.com

This website is great.

FOGO DE CHAO is a brazilian steak house for hearty appetites or we can choose something fun like Rainforest Cafe, etc.
    I'm easy.

Loren

Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

OHHH! My very first sticky thread!!

So do we want to plan for a late lunch/early dinner on Saturday? And does anyone have any suggestions as to where?

adina
    Depends on how much y'all want to spend. We usually make our dates to Chicago a pretty sophisticated occasion, so I only know places like the Italian Village, Morton's, Rhapsody, Riva ...

although once we went to a smallish Spanish Tapas bar, I don't know where exactly it was but I think it was near Rush street. I wouldn't mind going back there, if anyone knows where I'm talking about.

Is it looking like the big day will be Saturday? Because I just realized I've got something on Sunday that will conflict, so I will probably go home Saturday night. I would like to come down already on Friday.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Depends on how much y'all want to spend. We usually make our dates to Chicago a pretty sophisticated occasion, so I only know places like the Italian Village, Morton's, Rhapsody, Riva ...

although once we went to a smallish Spanish Tapas bar, I don't know where exactly it was but I think it was near Rush street. I wouldn't mind going back there, if anyone knows where I'm talking about.

Is it looking like the big day will be Saturday? Because I just realized I've got something on Sunday that will conflict, so I will probably go home Saturday night. I would like to come down already on Friday.
    While I am always up for a good steak at Morton's, but to have a gathering with the ability to share stories, cameras, and portfolios we should go somewhere that's roomy and fun.

Sebastian (where are thou?) will be a good resource or we can find a place on the website. I will leave up to a majority and we have some time to figure it out any ways.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Print Exchange?

Are we going to do a print exchange? Anybody interested?

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Re: Print Exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    Are we going to do a print exchange? Anybody interested?

Loren
    Yeah, I'm interested.

Stupid Question - I'm not sure what to bring. In talking to Sebastian about this, he said it would probably be open (bring several of the same print or one each of several). I would probably plan on 8x10's and how many prints I bring I guess would be based on how many people want to do an exchange. Sound right?

I don't get downtown often enough to make a recommendation on a place for dinner - anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Natalie, O'Hare is the main airport in Chicago but a ways from downtown. On Saturday morning the traffic shouldn't be bad - less than an hour but hopefully someone can verify that because I live the other direction (and going by O'Hare too...). Late lunch sounds good, we'll watch the time to make sure you can get back to the airport when you need to.

Chunk, I'm looking at a day trip too. I live in Rockford so if you want to meet up and then pick up Natalie if that works out? I'd be glad to drive from here - but have a Jetta so hopefully Natalie doesn't pack like Imelda Marcos .

Last year, we were mostly in the museum area - Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium and Soldier Field. It's a great place to see the skyline from and a lot of things to see right in walking distance. Anybody have other ideas?
    I can easily pick you up on the way to get Nat at the airport. I'd just as soon have my car down there as I probably won't be walking around as much as you folks. My email is chunk1@charter.net if either of you want to get ahold of me. What's a good meeting point at OHare?

Who's finalizing the meeting places/times? Seb?

Chunk

Guys,

I'm sorry I've been silent. Working four jobs right now (by choice) and going to school. My schedule doesn't really allow me to help figure things out as much as I'd like.

I will try to answer some questions here sometime tonight. As for times, I live 40 minutes away from the city, so I can work with whatever, I think it might be better for everyone else to figure those out since I'm the least limited by arrival/departure tiimes.

As for restaurants, does anyone remember that little place we went to last year, where we just sat and at after we went to the planetarium? It had great atmosphere and it was roomy...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Guys,

I'm sorry I've been silent. Working four jobs right now (by choice) and going to school. My schedule doesn't really allow me to help figure things out as much as I'd like.

I will try to answer some questions here sometime tonight. As for times, I live 40 minutes away from the city, so I can work with whatever, I think it might be better for everyone else to figure those out since I'm the least limited by arrival/departure tiimes.

As for restaurants, does anyone remember that little place we went to last year, where we just sat and at after we went to the planetarium? It had great atmosphere and it was roomy...
    I remember that place. I think that would be a good spot.

Okay, I plan on leaving here Saturday morning and coming home Saturday night. So do we want to do our lunch thing around 1? Does that work? That way anyone who is coming down just for the day will be able to make it, without being concerned about driving home in the wee hours

adina

Yeah, I remember it too - but can't remember the name or where exactly it was... A decent walk from the museum area I remember though. It would be a good choice though and 1:00 sounds good. Sebastian took that shot of the El right out in front. If only it was on a D1X with the GPS attachment...

If anyone wants to do the print exchange we should probably get that sorted out in the next week - I have a lab do my prints so I'll need a little time.

Let's get a count...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Yeah, I'm interested.

Stupid Question - I'm not sure what to bring. In talking to Sebastian about this, he said it would probably be open (bring several of the same print or one each of several). I would probably plan on 8x10's and how many prints I bring I guess would be based on how many people want to do an exchange. Sound right?

I don't get downtown often enough to make a recommendation on a place for dinner - anyone else?
    I'm planning on bringing 8x10 or 8x12's depending on the image I'm bringing. I just need to know how many images to bring.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

So is anyone planning on driving from the Madison area? I'd be up for a day trip or an overnighter, anytime from Friday afternoon through Sunday. If you are driving from around here, please let me know!

Thanks,
    Bob
    http://www.mountainworks.net

Thread Information