ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Chicago

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar

Chicago

I'm headed to Chicago in a few weeks and I noticed that there were a couple of Chicago-ians here (Sebastian, amoung a couple others) and I wondered if you had any suggestions as to things I should see while there. I'm not going there to specifically take pics, but I can't imagine not taking my camera to take pictures while I'm there.
    Thanks for all and any suggestions. *smile*

The Art Institute of Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    I'm headed to Chicago in a few weeks and I noticed that there were a couple of Chicago-ians here (Sebastian, amoung a couple others) and I wondered if you had any suggestions as to things I should see while there. I'm not going there to specifically take pics, but I can't imagine not taking my camera to take pictures while I'm there.
    Thanks for all and any suggestions. *smile*
    It's one of my favorite places in the world. They have a terrific collection of the impressionists as well as many other famous paintings. There's a Rembrandt exhibition that runs until May 9. Take your camera along as there are plenty of opportunities for 'street shots' inside.

http://www.artic.edu/aic/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's cute Chunk...

Darkrainfall,

If you want shots of the skyline, go the the Adler Planetarium, by far the best view of the skyline without going on a boat. For street shots, pretty much anywhere. I like the lakefront shops and restaurants, ots of activity their, especially during the summer. I would also check out the Museum of Science and Industry, they often have cool stuff going on in their lawns. For the 100th anniversary of flight they had hundreds of people out there flying kites.

Check out the loop, the architecture and industrial side overlap each other in so many paces, the contrasts are really striking. The river also provides many beautiful sightseeing and photo opportunities, especially with all the drawbridges.

Damn, now I want to go there but I'm stuck at work...

Good luck.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

What about the Blues..........

What would be the safer blues clubs/bars to go to, a few years ago i was at a convention staying in the downtown core, we found a neat club that Steve Ray Vaughan used to play at.

I also did the predictable sites too, the Sears tower & the elevated railway.Great city ( runs a close second to Toronto he he he)
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    Chunk,

I will most definitely visit the Art Institute while I am up there! I would kick myself if I forgot about that... and funnie pic... *smile*

Sebastian,

Thanks for all of the suggestions... I'll only be there for a weekend, but hopefully I'll catch most of that as well... I'm particularly interested in the loop... Thanks again, the suggestions are greatly appreciated...

One more thing... any thoughts as to where I should stay for the night? Are there perhaps any hotel suggestions?

Hey I was there!

I remember walking around that statue towards the top to see if it was, ummm, anatomically correct. I was down when they had the Van Gogh/Gaugaun (did I spell that right?) exhibit.

Good times, good times....

adina

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I remember walking around that statue towards the top to see if it was, ummm, anatomically correct.
    adina
    ....and...???

I'd have to say that during that particular period, artists were fairly accurate when sculpting the human form.

adina

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I'd have to say that during that particular period, artists were fairly accurate when sculpting the human form.

adina
    With every limb chopped off, I never dared to see the other side in fear of the trend continuing. I always look straight down when walking by that one. ;)
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information