ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Chicago gathering....a tentative date?

Okay folks, as Chicago had been in October for the past few years, I thought I'd see if anyone had a weekend in mind.

I will be able to make either the weekend of the 7-9, or the weekend of the 14-16. Any other weekend in October is full for me.

Thoughts?

adina

ps....this in no way conflicts with my LA plans, during which I will have no kids for 5 day, as my wonderful husband is sending my on vacation all alone. Okay, not all alone, going to see my sister in law. We are going to do girly stuff.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: Chicago gathering....a tentative date?

As of right now, either one is good for me. Not sure if that will change as summer winds down, though. But the earlier I plan, the more likely it is to work out for me.

ps. We gotta do that coffee one of these days. My schedule is filling with the play rehearsals (although that's nights only) and school is winding down. Some afternoon between May 19 and the 31st would work out well for me.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

drg

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Okay folks, as Chicago had been in October for the past few years, I thought I'd see if anyone had a weekend in mind.

I will be able to make either the weekend of the 7-9, or the weekend of the 14-16. Any other weekend in October is full for me.

Thoughts?
    . . .
    I'm looking forward to meeting someone from PR sometime this year, hopeful no later than this fall though I've got a booking for the 14th (maybe it will rain as its an outdoor shoot) and the following weekend is shot with family obligations. Other than that October Weekends are free as of now (5.7.05).

Has the possibility of meeting based around some event in Chicago (Not any of the big festivals, thank you) been considered. Venetian night is always fun, though it has grown a lot over the past few, and some of the Parade's are a lot of fun and then there's the rest of the day (Sat or Sun) to watch the Loop empty out again.

There always the the architect's tour of the Industrial/Office Park area of the north 'burbs including things like the Motorola Campus. Some of the Pharmeceutical companies have built small homage's to water fountains and modern sculpture that are easily accessable (and a phone call or two to let security know ahead of time regarding Sat/Sun has usually paved the way in the past).

Several wonderful University Campuses are possibilities with building, people, squirrels and views of the lake (Northwestern sit in the lake almost and U of C is a block away).

Northwesten is close to God's Orange Juice Squeezer (The Bahai' temple which is being remodeled) and U of C is right next to the Museum of Science and Industry which is worth a trip if you haven't been there in awhile. The sub may be partially open by fall. The outside of MSI is almost better than parts of the interior. Also pretty much unrivaled Gothic buildings at U of C and a couple of hilarious monstrosities (purple dorms!). Comes with Hyde Park as well.

Northwestern come with downtown Evanston (coffee shops are a little pricey) and the people who wander around there, and some very neat houses and churches in walking distance.

Yeah, I have connections with both schools, long story.

Though not Chicago, Schaumburg, yes Schaumburg (Woodfield Mall and environs) is an interesting place to with tall reflective buildings, a couple of parks, lots of eateries and pub/bar joints including RAM (one of my favorite bars out there, though the food is lacking), easily accessed camera stores(slightly better than the usual mall quality).

Finally I'd consider Milwaukee as well. I spent a few days in and out of there last summer (got some great shots at and of Miller Park and some other clock towers) and I know there's lots of interesting stuff associated with the lake and shipping for making photos.

More later,

-C
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

There was talk of a Milwaukee gathering, but nothing ever evolved. If you are interesting in setting one up, throw some dates out there, we'll see what happens.

Good ideas for Chicago!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

drg

A change (the car folk rebooked) so October 7 & 8 are out, but the 14th & 15th are available for an October weekend in Chicago or wherever. 10/22-23 are out, 10/29-30 are fine.

The last week in May looks fairly clear for now.

Oktoberfest is in September, and Saturday the 10th is the only weekend work commitment I have so far that month. September 16, 17, and 18 I'm going to be in Chicago for the weekend with only one real commitment, Cubs tickets on the 17th.

June. I won't remember June, she's a cruel month. (But if anyone has a better offer I'll run away for a day)

July and August (including being hot) involve some travel and thus far ill defined scheduling.
    Unless you want to go Cincinnati, OH.

Oh, yeah VERY IMPORTANT, I'm going to be in Port Washington one of two weekends in June, either the 11th and 12th or the 18th and 19th. When that gets settled the rest of the month can be planned better.

More later
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information