ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle

Went hiking today with a friend to Outer Point on Douglas Island. While taking a break, this eagle lands in the creek in front of us. I tried to get closer but didnt want to spook it.
    So while concentrating on this eagle, just snapping away, the second eagle goes zooming by in the frame and caught it before landing further down the creek. I know neither shot is "award winning" but I try to capture these magnificent creatures any time I can. On the second eagle I really like the wing tips, the wing span, the layers of feathers on the back of the wings. I was using my Digi-Rebel and Canon 100-300 lens.

jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bald Eagle-eagle-portrait-outer-pt-resized-1.jpg   Bald Eagle-eagle-outer-pt-resized-cropped.jpg  
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    You did a nice job indeed!

I applaud wildlife photographers and their images. They really have to be quick on the draw and shoot from the hip at times!

Kathy

Smile "On the second eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_in_ak
    Went hiking today with a friend to Outer Point on Douglas Island. While taking a break, this eagle lands in the creek in front of us. I tried to get closer but didnt want to spook it.
    So while concentrating on this eagle, just snapping away, the second eagle goes zooming by in the frame and caught it before landing further down the creek. I know neither shot is "award winning" but I try to capture these magnificent creatures any time I can. On the second eagle I really like the wing tips, the wing span, the layers of feathers on the back of the wings. I was using my Digi-Rebel and Canon 100-300 lens.

jeff

"I really like the wing tips"

I agree with you. I really like how the wings are spread in the second shot. It would have been great to have known they were coming, set up a blind, and have a 600mm lens to shoot them with. But real life isn't that convenient, and you got some nice shots anyway. Kudos.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

not to shabby!!!

the going away is a no no... but i'll take that image any time over NONE!!!!!!!!

the exposure, while having blown whites, is AS GOOD AS IT GETS in my opinion

the first image is backlit from the right, so that furthers the GREAT EXPOSURE comment

i would be proud to call these mine, but i only see 75 a year at FAR distances usually
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

blind? 600f4? the eagle lady in homer? is were you can get images with a 300 no problem! plenty of AWARD WINNING images of eagles come from her HOUSE
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Location, Location, Location

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    blind? 600f4? the eagle lady in homer? is were you can get images with a 300 no problem! plenty of AWARD WINNING images of eagles come from her HOUSE

Is what it's all about! We don't get eagles here on the NC coast.

Hey, I expect YOU to get shots of eagles with a 50mm!!!

:-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

pay for my flight to HOMER ALASKA , and i'll shoot them with any lens you want me too..... even on film if need be ;)
    Last edited by paulnj; 04-07-2004 at 06:03 AM.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

http://www.kaz-photography.com/lands...9alaska/homer/ the last is a SMALL group at Jean's home

http://www.photosafaris.com/AlaskasEagleLady.asp... long, but bottom tells you GEAR YOU NEED

btw.. van os is one of the best tours(art morris, greg downing, charles glatzer amoung others all are worth it too)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information