ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Keep the gathering the way it is, or make it into more of a workshop?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE!! Who gave you permission to think anyway...?!

2 18.18%
  • I would definitely like a more structured approach with emphasis on learning and critiques. But I too am wondering, who gave you permission to think...?

9 81.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's hurricane season... again...
    Quote Originally Posted by another view
    You're in Florida? My dad lives in N Palm Beach and wears a jacket when he's here in July - so I'm not sure how to answer!

OK, yeah, October and esp November can start getting a little chilly. Hard to say - last year our get together was early November (right?) and still pretty nice out. On the other hand, you might need a down parka too...
    North Palm Beach? No kidding! That's right down the road from me... do you ever come down and visit your Dad (and our beautiful weather ;) ) ?

You're right... I start complaining when it gets under 65 degrees. I say that the weather down here makes your blood thinner.

I might just have to call on my cousins and make a visit to good ol' Chicago. I'm originally from Chicago Heights... but I moved down here when I was 11, so, I'm 2/3 Floridian now! ;)
    Last edited by kkraczek; 06-03-2004 at 09:24 AM.
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

it's a thought

I'll go to Tinbuktu (sp?) in theory...if I make it will still be determined ...my plan is to start buying tickets ahead of time THAT way ---nothing can come up and keep me from going.... but yes I would love to go...

as soon as a day is set.

Lary's question odf the day yesterday
    "HOW MANY gatherings are there a year?" he he
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by kkraczek
    North Palm Beach? No kidding! That's right down the road from me... do you ever come down and visit your Dad (and our beautiful weather ;) ) ?
    Been awhile - because actually he moved to Palm Beach Gardens (pretty much across the street from North Palm Beach, of course). I usually end up in Florida in the summer for one reason or another, but I should start thinking about heading down there this coming winter.

Compared to Flordia

It's still cold in June here

I'm good for either of those weekends.

adina

Alright, let's make it official then, it's:

November 5-7

Come one, come all.

However, due to how busy I've been getting, and since it depends on the turnout, it's not too likely that we'll be able to do the whole studio rental thing. It's not out of the question, it's just that I won't have the time or resources to really persue that idea. I think a goal of having just regular friendly GTG will be more realistic. Although I really want to do a sort of thing where we pick some subjects, go out and shoot, and discuss our takes at the end of the day. I think a lot can be learned fromt hat, how others see, and how we see.

Anyway, let's discuss things more once we get closer to the dates.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Alright, let's make it official then, it's:

November 5-7

Come one, come all.

However, due to how busy I've been getting, and since it depends on the turnout, it's not too likely that we'll be able to do the whole studio rental thing. It's not out of the question, it's just that I won't have the time or resources to really persue that idea. I think a goal of having just regular friendly GTG will be more realistic. Although I really want to do a sort of thing where we pick some subjects, go out and shoot, and discuss our takes at the end of the day. I think a lot can be learned fromt hat, how others see, and how we see.

Anyway, let's discuss things more once we get closer to the dates.
    Guess I'll have to re-schedule that pedicure. Sounds good, count me in. I agree with picking some subjects - maybe a few choices. It's always interesting to see how other photographers work.

Marked my calender

As of right now, I'm in.

Nat, are you coming?

adina

marked the calendar

will talk it over with Larry...he's owns the bank (but I sure could use a getaway! by myself !!!)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Heh, you're talking about Chicago, it's cold sometimes in July (it was like, 60 degrees today).

I live in Chicago, so it sounds good to me

Can I come too? I could make it a day trip, I only live two hours away. I'd love to hang out with y'all.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

OK now that I've read the whole thread through (should learn to read first, THEN post!), count me in! It's on my calendar already!

I like the idea of having different subjects to shoot and then coming back for critique. I haven't been part of something like that ever and would probably find it extremely valuable.

Are you at all worried about the light in November? Here's hoping that it's not gloomy. But even if it is, could we find perhaps a sporting event to cover, and there's always night shots and even indoors.

It might be great to schedule a shoot at dawn, then another shoot in the morning, then get together for lunch, then something after lunch and again at sunset and dusk, and possibly something at night. Maybe everyone wouldn't do every shoot, (would anyone do the dawn shoot?) but it would give a great variety of stuff to look at during critiques and might show all the possiblilities and give everyone new ideas. It would, of course, be very loosely organized, perhaps just a meeting place and time and whoever shows up goes. Then make sure to schedule it so that people could make it back for the next venue shoot.

Just a thought. Maybe that's how it already works. I can't wait to participate.

Kelly,

We never worry about light. Last year we were "blessed" with fog that obliterated most of the skyline, and I walked away with some of my favorite shots ever.

Thou shalt not worry or something...

We'll see what the turnout is, but we'll play most of it by ear I'm sure. Glad you intend on making it.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Main Dinner?

I know last year the "main" dinner was cancelled, as most of us had to head home. Can we do a main lunch? Or an early dinner?

Anyone?

I'm hoping to make it down for Saturday, probably mid-morning. I want to be home Saturday night, which is why I'm hoping we can move it up a bit.

Thanks

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

One from last year

fog, and more fog.

This year I'm hoping to shoot a bit more I think I have like 5 pics from last year.

adina
    Last edited by adina; 04-04-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    fog, and more fog.

This year I'm hoping to shoot a bit more I think I have like 5 pics from last year.

adina
    But you have to admit, the fog made things interesting.

You BETTER shoot more this year.
    -Seb

My website

OK, I was thinking about this last night. I should start thinking about getting a room down there. Where will we be meeting? And when?

Any details?

I am very intersested in Chicago this year!! Any details on dates?
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    I am very intersested in Chicago this year!! Any details on dates?
    November 5-7 is the weekend, I don't think there are any specific plans for the days though.

Does anyone in the area have any hotel suggestions?

Clarification: By "when?" I meant, "what time of day?" That would determine how many days I stay down there, and when I travel down. I'm not at all good with getting up at 4 am to meet in Chicago at 7 am. I'd need to come down the night before.

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I have it on my schedule and if all works out I should be there... I haven't posted in forever...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information