ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Keep the gathering the way it is, or make it into more of a workshop?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE!! Who gave you permission to think anyway...?!

2 18.18%
  • I would definitely like a more structured approach with emphasis on learning and critiques. But I too am wondering, who gave you permission to think...?

9 81.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chi-town Get Together Time...

Alright, we should really start talking about this now.

I have been thinking for a while that I would enjoy making it more than just us peeps hanging out eating wings and BS-ing. I kind of would like to make it more of a tangible representation of what PR.com is all about. On that note, I would personally like it wif we made it into a sort of workshop. I think a day with a definite project theme, maybe some models, etc. Could be followed up at night with a critique session of the day's take. We could even rent a studio if people would be willing to chip in for one.

I guess I would like to do what we do here on the forums, but face-to-face.

What do you think? Go ahead and vote and feel free to leave a comment or several...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Structured approach

Of the several photo gatherings that I have attended, we spent more time shooting than eating/drinking. I think that this thought goes in line with the plea to Steve in doing a studio seminar. Irakly would be a great great professor also.

I would love to go back to Chicago and do an outdoor industrial/street photography project or the studio approach works too.

Since we're paying big money to go out to an unknown city I would prefer to have a morning street and an afternoon studio shoot. Then take a two hour break so we can edit and show our images via computer slide show at dinner with many beers and food.

Sunday could be nature/landscape day.

Hell...I would be interested in hosting an event like that in Santa Clara. The loft offers 30 foot ceilings and we have full kitchen/bar and a lot of room.

I had a lot of fun at the SF Gathering when we went to Mt. Diablo and then the rest went to Berkeley day. Chicago vol. 1, we went to no less than three different locations, fun. Paris, Franglais and I went all over Paris to caputure many cool sights. Thanks Charles.

I learned a lot by how other photographers work, even though I usually work solo.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Yeah, Chicago get together again. We can definitely add more structure to our time here. Early morning outdoor shoot, mid afternoon studio shoot/critique of morning shoot, evening shoot of city scapes, then a night out on the town with the point and shoot cameras.

Not much nature in the city since it's so urban, but we can work in the botanic gardens or shoot in Lincoln Park in the heart of the city.

Last time we were able to secure permission to shoot in a historical building, so we can definitely do something like that again.

Something along those lines.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    So... I see a lot of gatherings in different places around and i wondered... Is everyone welcome to attend? I'm just a city or so below Chicago and while I will be there on May 6th-9th, I wouldn't mind another trip there especially if it meant meeting other photographers. *smile*

The way I see it...

Is when we put Gatherings together, everyone in our PR.com family is invited. That's the point of the gatherings.. Get us all together, face to face, so we can grow our friendships as well as strengthening this great site!

Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    So... I see a lot of gatherings in different places around and i wondered... Is everyone welcome to attend? I'm just a city or so below Chicago and while I will be there on May 6th-9th, I wouldn't mind another trip there especially if it meant meeting other photographers. *smile*
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Did I miss something??

Is there a date already set? If so, please let us know what it is. I'm extremely inteested in making this year's Chicago Gathering!!

Plus, someone needs to be there representing Nikon!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Dates?

I've got a couple obligations that stretch out into October, various weekends I'd for sure be out. So as soon as someone has something, let us know.

Also, one suggestion from last year. Could the official dinner be a lunch maybe? Or an earlier dinner? With the drive, I think it would be easier for others to make it if it was earlier.

adina

Nikon? Whe needs Nikon? I think Sebastion was the only one last year shooting Nikon, and he's learned the error of his ways.

Brian,

Thanks for the response... as my schedule allows I will be there... and I will be representing Nikon as well. *smile*

No dates yet, although we are looking at October again. It works well it seems, and the weather here becimes unoredictable in a less anoying, more photogenic wort of way.

THe point of this thread is mainly to see if this idea of the workshops would work. I think One of the weekend days schedule it so it's stuctured stuff with unstructured activities interspersed. Morning shoot, lunch, then maybe a night project, and then maybe critique. And only the ones that wanted to join in the strcutured stuff would, the others could just roam or do things as a seperate group. I am not trying to make it one way or the other, I'm just trying to add to the experience.

Darkrainfall,

You ca not join us until we get your W-9 and you put in thirty hours of comunity service in a photo-related manner. We also need goat blood. It's just to make sure the people that go to these things are "of the correct caliber."

Now where did I put my Canon cloak...
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Is my goat blood from last year still good?

As far as October, the weekend of the 2-3 and the weekend of the 30-31 are definitly out for me.

*Smiles* Let's see.... thirty hours of photo related community service... yeah, I have that... well... kinda... and goat's blood... that's going to be tough... I think I might have a pint in the back of my freezer... now do I bring that with me, or do I just send it to you?
    Oh... and that Canon cloak of yours... I think my cat ate it... *smile*

Last fall, we didn't shoot too much because of the usual overcast skies so a back-up plan would be a good idea. I think Loren has a lot of good ideas in his post like morning and afternoon shoots. Since the interests here are so varied, maybe we could have two different ones in the morning and two different ones in the afternoon, etc. Then have a dinner and (for digital shooters) show some of the day's work. If there's enough of us, we could rent a room at a restaurant so we have space to do it. I'll probably get a hotel room this time!

For the different shoots, maybe we should see who is able to attend and what the interests are. I'm open to anything but would be most interested in trying something new to me like studio work with models.

I made it back from Houston alive and well. Excellent workshop. I'll post a couple of shots tonight (as long as I can get my home computer back on-line...).

Cool Plus, someone needs to be there representing Nikon!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Is there a date already set? If so, please let us know what it is. I'm extremely inteested in making this year's Chicago Gathering!!

Plus, someone needs to be there representing Nikon!
    ~Brian

YEAH, Baby!

That's a Nikon Samuari talking!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Everyone, list your free dates for October and November. We did it during November last year and it wasn't bad.

Let's try to iron our a weekend that everyone can make.
    -Seb

My website

Any one is OK for me as far as I know. Thanksgiving weekend might be kind of tough though - but street shooting could be good then too with Christmas shopping downtown, etc.

Anyone interested in a print share like at some of the other get togethers? Slightly stupid question - but how does it actually work? What size prints, and do I make the same print for everyone or all different ones?

November's out for me

Nutcracker rehersals and such. But I'll keep the two middles weekends of October open until the date is decided.

adina

Hi Sebastion,

I was just out in the "chi" area last week. April and I went in for her sisters 40th birthday bash (at the loon bar and grill I think). I wanted to try and get a hold of some PR people there just for dinner and a beer but was squeezed for time. April's sister lives off cumberland about a mile form the blue line stop. Anywhere near you?

I'd be interested in coming out in Octobler. I've never gone to a "gathering" but met several people on my journeys. Speaking of which, I need to give deborah a call....

Mike

Sebastian,
    I spent a day in Chicago last Labor day, I ended up shooting 9 rolls of film and got some of the best prints in my portfolio. I am definantly in for a shoot in Chicago. I dont know if my opinion matters (it doesnt at my day job), but I personally would be most interested in doing a studio shoot at some point. Dont get me wrong, Chicago is a beautiful city, but the studio is the area where I have the least experience. My weekends are free, with the exception of traveling around (the joys of being single and working for an airline) so I am open for any date that may be decided on.

I look forward to getting together with as many fellow photographers as possible for a meeting of the minds. Hope to see you all soon

OK - I want to rule out Sunday, October 10th. There's a big rowing regatta on the river, about 5 minutes from my house. I shot it two years ago but couldn't make it last year - due to Nikon DSLR school. This is a great place to shoot, lots of bridges to get on top of them as they go by, walk around the prep area where the boats are - pretty much un-restricted.

Heck, if anyone wants to come out to Rockford that day (90 miles NW of downtown Chicago), let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    OK - I want to rule out Sunday, October 10th. There's a big rowing regatta on the river, about 5 minutes from my house. I shot it two years ago but couldn't make it last year - due to Nikon DSLR school. This is a great place to shoot, lots of bridges to get on top of them as they go by, walk around the prep area where the boats are - pretty much un-restricted.

Heck, if anyone wants to come out to Rockford that day (90 miles NW of downtown Chicago), let me know.

OK, how about we pick form two:

Oct 8-10

or

Nov 5-7?

-Seb
    -Seb

My website

the Oct 8-10 are questionable...it's our fifth anniversary weeekend and as absorbed as we can get photo wise it may not be the wisest thing but Larry said he'd think about it

Maybe Nov 5-7 th ....I'll check back for other responses.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Natalie's coming out!? I was going to say November because it always seems like things come up in October, and I'll be at that regatta on Sunday. Either way, count me in.

Either Oct. or Nov. would be good for me. So whatever the rest of you pick will work.

It's hurricane season... again...
    Hey Sebastian, isn't it cold in November? (I was up for a wedding last October and it was pretty darn cold then!)
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Quote Originally Posted by kkraczek
    Hey Sebastian, isn't it cold in November? (I was up for a wedding last October and it was pretty darn cold then!)
    You're in Florida? My dad lives in N Palm Beach and wears a jacket when he's here in July - so I'm not sure how to answer!

OK, yeah, October and esp November can start getting a little chilly. Hard to say - last year our get together was early November (right?) and still pretty nice out. On the other hand, you might need a down parka too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information