ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The bottom side..

Of a bridge off course. What did you think I was talking about:idea: .

This historic landmark, and California's tallest bridge and third highest in the US (772 ft) is scheduled to be rebuilt by 2012. I drive over it every day and to think it will look like another modern bridge just kills me. So today I took some shots where most wont go. It wasn't easy..but well worth it. There are alot of pictures that I know I will keep, but these will be irreplaceable some day. Steps up the importance without a doubt.

The bottom side..-11.jpg

The bottom side..-fhb1.jpg

The bottom side..-fhb2.jpg

The bottom side..-fhb3.jpg

Darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Re: The bottom side..

Really like the perpective in the last 2 !

Yikes -- this brings back tense moments with regard to a certain photographer on these forums and a bridge. Great shots and I'm glad you are posting in the comfort of your own home -- or someplace other than the ER!

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

(You may be too new to know the story -- check out the sticky about Greg McCrary for details.)

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shebang
    Yikes -- this brings back tense moments with regard to a certain photographer on these forums and a bridge. Great shots and I'm glad you are posting in the comfort of your own home -- or someplace other than the ER!
    looks to me like he stayed on the ground, just went down below the bridge itself, before the ground dropped off to much.

these are some good shots, different time of day, with more interesting clouds or lighting woudl really help though.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Looks to me like the color balance is off in each of these and they have a color tint over the entire picture. I put the first one in PhotoShop and just hit Auto Color and added a little unsharp mask and this is how it changed, Jeff

First photo is the original
    Second is the edited version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The bottom side..-11.jpg   The bottom side..-11-copy.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Looks to me like the color balance is off in each of these and they have a color tint over the entire picture. I put the first one in PhotoShop and just hit Auto Color and added a little unsharp mask and this is how it changed, Jeff

Jeff - actually on my monitor the original version looks much better. I don't detect any color tint in any of the photos.

Having said that, I believe monitors are as different as people. However, I prefer the original - viewing from my monitor.

Liz

Liz

Darin,

I love these shots! Beautiful composition - you have a great eye! I don't think I've ever seen a bridge from this perspective. Thanks for sharing them.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Jeff - actually on my monitor the original version looks much better. I don't detect any color tint in any of the photos.

Having said that, I believe monitors are as different as people. However, I prefer the original - viewing from my monitor.

Liz

Liz, I am just curious, is the top one better or the one closer to the bottom of the screen better in my post, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

Liz, I am just curious, is the top one better or the one closer to the bottom of the screen better in my post, Jeff
    I thought the top one was before (original) and the bottom one after (editing). If not, the top one is closer to the original. It's definitely a different color rendition than the bottom one - at least on my monitor. It has a bit more detail in some areas, but personally I prefer the (color) on the top one. But then, I like colors that "pop." The bottom one seems a bit "washed out on my monitor. However, maybe the bottom one is closest to the actual color of the bridge.

Actually - in the originals - my favorite of all of them is the last one.....obviously shot from a different angle and the lighting might have been better at that angle.

Just my personal opinion.

Liz

If I may comment ....

I agree the orignal photo seems to be bluish all over

In the edited photo the color of most of the grass chnaged to brown , giving the impression the grass is dry

if there would be a way to keep the grass green I'll like the edited version better.

Thanks for the reply's and comments from all. I shot these all Raw and then tried to get the colors close to what I thought they were at the time when I shot them. I agree there does seem to be a blue cast over the entire picture after looking at it again. I usually save the recipe for scenes like these so the colors will be the same in each picture, but on these I didn't. I did them each separately at a different time. I also like colors that "pop" so you come to see that some of my pictures I over saturate, a bad habit I need to break.
    Granpaws version looks pretty darn close to what the picture should look like if you were there taking it. The bridge is not quite as dull or flat but everything else looks great. Thanks G-paw. As you can see from the original I had to also fix the barrel/perspective distortion so the bridge didn't look like it was falling over:wink5:
    This is straight from the RAW file, no editing whatsoever
    all EXIF should be there if your interested
    The bottom side..-img_0171_1_800orig.jpg

Thanks
    Darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Well I am glad to hear it wasn't my eyesight getting worse or a monitor problem. Keep snapping away and posting photos, Jeff

Thread Information