ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Black and White in Color

Ok, here's the repost. Reshot with the camera perpendicular to the plate of M&M's,
    D200. 100 mm/2.8 macro. 1/250 @ f/16. Lit by SB800 on a stick through a Photogenic 16 x 9" lightbox, behind the plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-reshoot014.jpg  
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Ok, here's the repost. Reshot with the camera perpendicular to the plate of M&M's,
    D200. 100 mm/2.8 macro. 1/250 @ f/16. Lit by SB800 on a stick through a Photogenic 16 x 9" lightbox, behind the plate.
    Yep the second post looks much better. I've never seen black and white M&M's. They were perfect for this thread. Would you have known that the blue one got thrown in if you weren't told?
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

When you run a conversion to B&W, you may notice that the blue one is just slightly darker. I had to stare at it for a second or two. My daughter thought the blue one added to the shot. She's a decent writer and like me has trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler, so I'm trying to interest her in photos.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I guess i missed this the first time around. I like the difference between that elegant entry and the roughhewn barn. Nice textures in both.
    Here are a few of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-01.jpg   Black and White in Color-02.jpg   Black and White in Color-03.jpg  
    ----------------------------

I like the m&m shot. Look how the location of the highlights varies with the tilt of the candies, that would make a good thing for a super realist painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I guess i missed this the first time around. I like the difference between that elegant entry and the roughhewn barn. Nice textures in both.
    Here are a few of mine.
    Great entries Chunk. I wondered where you were on this one. It seemed a natural for you and you didn't disappoint. Really love the textures and patterns created in the snow shot. Throw a little wind in with a snow and you can sure get some interesting effects. Thanks for playing along.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks OT. I'm getting tired of a monochrome world, though. Last weekend we had a couple warm days and warm rain so the grass and hayfields are starting to green up finally. Not much for buds on the trees though.

I'm making a mad dash down to Savannah this weekend to pick up Mike and trailer his bike and some other stuff home before he heads back to Iraq. It'll be nice to get a small dose of spring.

Not much in the way of black and white around here, until the sun sets.

300mm f11 1/250
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I'm making a mad dash down to Savannah this weekend to pick up Mike and trailer his bike and some other stuff home before he heads back to Iraq. It'll be nice to get a small dose of spring.
    Didn't know Mike was headed back over there. A good friend of our family just got back from his second tour in country and his forth in the middle east. My thoughts and prayers will be with him.

Nikon Samurai #13

Chunk, I'll keep your son in my thoughts.

I love this way of photographing - I have a shot very similar to Chunk's first (not as good, of course...) shot overlooking the Rock River a ways south of here. It's on film, but I had these handy. Milwaukee Art Museum, Galveston Texas, and a parade here in town.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-dscn0191.jpg   Black and White in Color-dscf1316.jpg   Black and White in Color-dscf2845.jpg  

All three are great for this thread Steve. I really like 1 and 3. Chunk is going to be proud of you when he sees these.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Chunk, I'll keep your son in my thoughts.

I love this way of photographing - I have a shot very similar to Chunk's first (not as good, of course...) shot overlooking the Rock River a ways south of here. It's on film, but I had these handy. Milwaukee Art Museum, Galveston Texas, and a parade here in town.
    Larry's right...I love these. As a matter of fact my converted version of one of them won a "Best in Show" in the B&W division of the Photography competition at the local county fair a couple years ago. Here it is in color.

That band shot is a knockout!.

Thanks to you both for your thoughts about Mike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-01.jpg  

Get one of these Link

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Okay its not the best Black and White Contrast but for Spring its kind of funny in a sad sort of way. "April Spring Barbeque"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-img_3736.jpg  

This is the only example I could find of a color image that appears to be B&W.

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Pretty good example John. Thanks for playing along. That's a long gone friend in the photo isn't it?

Nikon Samurai #13

Maybe not the very best example of b&w in color but it's a great example of what were going through this Spring in our part of the mid-west. Nice shot.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Pretty good example John. Thanks for playing along. That's a long gone friend in the photo isn't it?
    Thanks Larry!

Yeah that's my old D60 that I sold in December to buy my Oly system. I get a little misty eyed when I look at pics of her and my D30.

I stumbled upon this a few minutes ago. I think it fits the theme.

Shot with my Olympus E-500, FL-36 Flash, under a light tent with black velvet background...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Heres a few that I thought fit here that I got from an Easter trip to visit my great uncle on his farm, might have a couple more later on as I get to them with post work. There are some great shots in this thread, the B&W in color has a neat look, keep up the good work everyone.

Killed two birds with one stone with this one.

Last edited by cyberlord; 04-10-2007 at 06:55 PM.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

These three are really good additions to the theme of this thread. Love the first one. Great job. Thanks for adding to the fun.

Nikon Samurai #13

Heres a few more.

These are very nice as well. Chunk is going to love the first one. The fly on the screen is a great catch too. Your giving me some ideas now if it would ever quit raining It get out there again.

Nikon Samurai #13

Well this one is kind of cheating but it's the only thing I've done recently that even half way fits. It was shot in color as you can tell if you look close, but it was shot as an intentional silhouette. I like the way my daughters pony tail looked from the side and decided to try something different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-dsc_7985-2-640.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Here are a few recent ones that fit (kind of). Difficult to get true black subjects in snow. And I tend not to shoot towards a white sky - with some exceptions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-b-w-color-1.jpg   Black and White in Color-b-w-color-2.jpg   Black and White in Color-b-w-color-3.jpg   Black and White in Color-b-w-color-4.jpg   Black and White in Color-b-w-color-6.jpg  

Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information