ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black and White in Color

Went out yesterday afternoon just to be getting out into the world and got into a something of a theme with the photos. I started looking for mostly black and white subjects to photgraph in color. White and black together usually present a real exposure problem for me. Here are a three images form yesterday and I would invite anyone that has similar photos to join in and post them in this thread.

(Don't understand why images sometimes load in reverse order on viewfinder.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-dsc_7641-2-640.jpg   Black and White in Color-dsc_7648-2-640.jpg   Black and White in Color-dsc_7695-2-640.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Black and White in Color

Very nice photos, Larry. This kind of contrast can be difficult to expose, but you did a good job with these. Interesting compositions too. I really like the textures in the last one. Do you recall how far your exposure settings were from what the camera's light meter was suggesting?

Paul

Paul all of these were shot on manual and I did a center weighted reading off the brighter part of the image and over exposed by 1/2 to 1 stop. There were minor adjustment done in Lightroom Beta. The weathered garage wall was the toughest because the light had failed by that time and it was very overcast, no real highlights. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Paul all of these were shot on manual and I did a center weighted reading off the brighter part of the image and over exposed by 1/2 to 1 stop. There were minor adjustment done in Lightroom Beta. The weathered garage wall was the toughest because the light had failed by that time and it was very overcast, no real highlights. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.
    Thanks for the details.

Hi there ... a very excellent idea for a thread!

This was taken a couple of weeks ago at the British Museum .. it's part of the marbled area in the centre of the museum (maybe you have seen a couple of images I put on the critique forum from the same shoot).

I liked the design of the circular stair here and deliberately waited for the right someone to go up the stairs. This guy rewarded my patience.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-stairs-03-jpg.jpg  

Yes I have seen those images you are referring to and this one is just what I was looking for in this thread. Very tough exposure situation. Nice job on it. I think you found the perfect subject for you contrasting object. Hope some other will join in too.

Nikon Samurai #13

excellent images for a great thread guys. i liked the weathered fence a lot - i wouldn't have realized the challenges. the stairway picture is very artistic.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Excellent shots...I've got to say...I love the title of this thread...I wasn't sure what to expect, but I've got to say...you definitely nailed the title w/the subject matter.....
    This is something I'd like to try...maybe when the winds die down a bit, I'll take a trip around town and see what I can find...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Excellent shots...I've got to say...I love the title of this thread...I wasn't sure what to expect, but I've got to say...you definitely nailed the title w/the subject matter.....
    This is something I'd like to try...maybe when the winds die down a bit, I'll take a trip around town and see what I can find...
    Ken
    Well Ken you should be able to come up with something there in Odessa. The weather you've been having lately is playing havoc with my son's business down there too. Hope you come up with something for this thread.

Nikon Samurai #13

Just me and my camera

very neat idea, old timer.
    I really like the last photo, the weathered garage wall.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGirl
    very neat idea, old timer.
    I really like the last photo, the weathered garage wall.
    Thank PG. I struggled with that one more than the ones at the church. Poor quality of light by the time I got to that one. I appreciate your comment. I hope you'll add a couple of your own to this thread.

Nikon Samurai #13

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Great idea OT.....I am still fumbling around learning the manual settings on my camera and this will give me an opportunity to learn and have fun. Will try and have some pics by the end of next week, Time and Weather permitting....russ Till then heres one from my archives. (I'm a sucker for old buildings).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-2763760-r1-012-4a.jpg  
    Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 03-04-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added picture

I share your passion for old buildings. Thanks for sharing the great old church.

Nikon Samurai #13

You can't own a BW dog and not post him. So here is my dog Lucky. Lucky is very camera shy. In fact he HATES cameras and HATES getting his picture taken even more. Lucky is not so lucky though. He lost one eye and the use of one paw when he was hit by a car. I know it sounds like a joke but its not. I got this shot on his blind side. I am posting it because I am still having trouble with the snow. Should I of used custom white balance using a picture of the snow or should I be looking for one of those grey cards?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-img_1347-3.jpg  

Larry, I realy like your first picture, the church door. Do you have any suggestions or tips for when I go out on my BW picture outing. Thanks Russ

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Here's one from last week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-crw_1533.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
    You can't own a BW dog and not post him. So here is my dog Lucky. Lucky is very camera shy. In fact he HATES cameras and HATES getting his picture taken even more. Lucky is not so lucky though. He lost one eye and the use of one paw when he was hit by a car. I know it sounds like a joke but its not. I got this shot on his blind side. I am posting it because I am still having trouble with the snow. Should I of used custom white balance using a picture of the snow or should I be looking for one of those grey cards?

Well in my opinion Russ as far as your colors go this isn't bad. I've done a lot worse in snow than this for sure. Lucky's colors look very good. Gray card metering is never a bad Idea but I have a hard time keeping one with me. My rule of thumb has been to add 1/2 to a stop and a 1/2 of exposure. I have to admit that I cheat and will bracket a little and try to sort it out later.

Thanks for playing along in this thread yours is a good addition.

Nikon Samurai #13

Larry,
    Decided when I saw your photos I would finally post. I like the last one of the garage wall the best. Now I need to get out and find something black and white to photograph in color. Very different than the wedding I just shot this past weekend.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brhitch
    Larry,
    Decided when I saw your photos I would finally post. I like the last one of the garage wall the best. Now I need to get out and find something black and white to photograph in color. Very different than the wedding I just shot this past weekend.
    Brian

Hey great to see you finally posting here Brian. I appreciate your comments. It's very funny you should mention that garage wall, it's in your father-in-laws back yard. Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures here on PR.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Here's one from last week.
    Boy that just happened to fit this thread perfectly. Nice image Brian.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
    Larry, I realy like your first picture, the church door. Do you have any suggestions or tips for when I go out on my BW picture outing. Thanks Russ
    I wish I had something more to tell you Russ, but when you are photographing these kind of scenes the main thing to keep in mind is that it is very easy for all that white to fool a light meter. Remember it is always attempting to measure from a gray scale. the best suggestion and I think the best way to learn is to vary or bracket you exposure than when you or in the process stage you can evaluate and decide what worked best and than duplicate that effort on you next photo expedition.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thanks, Larry, I'll give it a try. I have a few places in mind. Just need the time to get there with a camera.

Heres one that i got the other day that i think fits in with this,

Great idea, I think I might try and purposely look for some of these, helps you to work on those different meterings with the lights and darks together. They also have a cool look with just the b&w but being in color. Looking forward to seeing more of these from others.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PMW518
    Heres one that i got the other day that i think fits in with this,

Great idea, I think I might try and purposely look for some of these, helps you to work on those different meterings with the lights and darks together. They also have a cool look with just the b&w but being in color. Looking forward to seeing more of these from others.

Phil
    I agree it fits great. The thing I think I like about this one the most is the shadow of the feather. In the shadow you a different tones of b&w theme. Nice job on this one thanks for joining in on this thread.

Nikon Samurai #13

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Couldn't resist a shot after my wife and daughter came back from NYC over the weekend with a pound of black, white and gray M&M's for me. The color one was added by my daughter. For those who don't know, I can only see black, white and the best they can figure, about 16 shades of gray. They tasted much better than they looked.

D200, 100mm/2.8 macro, 1/250 at f/11. SB800 on a stand to camera left through a Photoflex 12 x 9 litedome. White reflector to camera right for slight fill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White in Color-welcome-my-world.jpg  
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information