ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Best way to display pictures?

Hey guys,

So I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start displaying some of my stuff at local cafes and other places of interest. Just wondering what some of the best ways to display (w/pricing) are? Should I be looking into having dry mountings done on foam board and then framing from there, or are 'gallery-style' clip frames appropriate? I currently have a majority of enlargements in clip frames because of the cost convenience, but I know that I'm going to have to do something more in order to possibly sell.
    Also, is it necessary to enter into a contract with the place where your art is being shown, or is it all right to simply go on verbal agreement?

Some insight into these or any other points of concern that ya'll can think of would be great!

Thanks a bunch,
    -Chris

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Best way to display pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by CaSousa
    Hey guys,

So I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start displaying some of my stuff at local cafes and other places of interest. Just wondering what some of the best ways to display (w/pricing) are? Should I be looking into having dry mountings done on foam board and then framing from there, or are 'gallery-style' clip frames appropriate? I currently have a majority of enlargements in clip frames because of the cost convenience, but I know that I'm going to have to do something more in order to possibly sell.
    Also, is it necessary to enter into a contract with the place where your art is being shown, or is it all right to simply go on verbal agreement?

Some insight into these or any other points of concern that ya'll can think of would be great!

Thanks a bunch,
    -Chris
    My first instict for this type of project would be to get it in writing. I would at least type something up that both parties agree upon just in case something comes up. Better safe than sorry.

As for the displays. I would think that mounting and matting your prints would be the best way to go. I think they look a lot nicer, and not having the print touching the glass is better for the print from what I have read. Matting and framing can get pretty expensive, but if you can pass that cost onto a customer, nothing is lost. But on the other hand, the extra cost may turn a perspective client away. Kind of a toss up.

Just my thoughts.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I'd suggest you frame them, with mattes and everything, it speaks volumes about you and your photography.
    Pricing is a tough question to answer, I went through that myself this past week.
    Check my thread above, "A Small Showing Of My Photographs", I am doing this right now.
    Good Luck!
    Keep us informed!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

This time of year you can get nice frames on sale. The clip frames are a pain in the butt because they show every speck of dust and fingerprint and the clips pop and the glass breaks. I hang my photos in a diner and they actually sell for higher when I use real frames, which I pick out to compliment the photo. I double matte them too, but you don't have to, obviously. I swap photos every other week so it stays interesting and it creates urgency if someone is interested in a certain photo!

Hey guys,

Thanks a bunch,
    -Chris
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

I agree about the framing - keep it simple, matte black frames and white mat board. Photo John turned me onto American Framing who has a sale on standard Neilsen frames right now. Just got some yesterday.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Frame Colors.. My thoughts...

I like black frames for black and white photographs, but for color I prefer silver.
    Although a "pewter gray" looks good to for black and white.
    For mattes, it's white and nothing else, and it's gotta be white through out the board.
    Good Luck!!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks for the insight guys.

I was thinking the same thing about the matte. I have used different color mattes around the house, but those are with custom wood frames to go with whatever colors i'm dealing with in the shot. I think white on black would be the way to go, however. I'm actually in a good situation with mattes, as I just inherited a whole box of full size (3' x 4') Bainbridge matteboard. All i need is a decent cutter, but I'm sure I can pick one up cheap enough.
    It's actually kinda ironic that I have the materials for about 50 gold frames here, and not one in black!

I know pricing can be pretty variable, but where is a good place to start? How much of a profit margin should I be expecting after all of my framing materials costs?

Thanks again!
    -Chris

... one more thing....

What have ya'll found is the best way to 'mount' the picture to the matte?

-Chris

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

... one more thing....

What have ya'll found is the best way to 'mount' the picture to the matte?

-Chris

I prefer to have the photo dry mounted to a seperate piece of matte board, or foam board, and make it the same size as the frame itself. Then you can have your matte mounted to the matte that the picture is on in the same way. You wouldn't even have to have the two mattes mounted together as long as the matte with the photo on it presses tight up against the cut out matte, everything should stay in place. I have taped photos to the back of a cut out matte before and was not happy with the way the photo looked. It just wouldn't lay down smooth. You can buy the dry mount tissue yourself and mount them with a clothes iron, but be carefull not to melt your print. I had a local framing shop dry mount a 12"x8" pring on a 20"x16" piece of foam board for about $7.50. Well worth it IMO.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information