Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Unhappy Help in recovering corrupt pictures

Ok, here is the issue. I have read all the previous threads in this forum I could find that covered this topic, but none seemed to help since I have a few minor (I hope) differences.

I'm currently in Japan, and my computer is back in the states. I wont be able to use my own PC for almost another year, and because of that, I'm stuck using a public PC in the schools computer lab. The good news is, due to having pretty low security settings, I CAN install some programs, as long as it doesnt require any changing of major settings or writing files to the windows directory. My camera is a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S70, and I'm having trouble with a Lexar Memory 256meg Stick (Side B, really).

I've been using this side of the memory card for close to a month now, and I have well over 150 pics from around Tokyo, Chiba and Kawagoe. Some of these pics are easily the best I have ever taken, and I'm not just saying that to get more help, I'm 100% serious about this. Also, all the pictures of a really good friend I made this last month were on this memory card. She has since returned to the US, so these are the only pics of her I have.

I think when I changed out the memory cards last friday, I forgot to turn off the camera or something. When I went to kinkos to burn a CD, I found all the pictures, except the first half of the first picture, are unreadable. So not only am I out of all these excellent pictures, I'm out of about 1/3 of my memory (I'm NOT going to format this card until I get the pictures).

I've spent all morning trying pretty much every freeware or demo program I could find online. Either they wont install, or they dont even recognise there is a memory card hooked up. Something mentioned in one of the programs help file made me think that part of the problem is that I'm trying to access the files through my camera. Maybe doing this through a memory card reader would work instead?

Anyways, thats all the information. Would a card reader help instead? Anybody know of a program that you think would work, AND doesnt need administrator access? I'm at a lose here, and I really really REALLY want these pictures, and memory space, back.

Thanks for any help you guys could give
    JPOnion

Re: Help in recovering corrupt pictures

Hi JPOnion,

Yes a card reader would probably be more help than using the camera.

I use photorescue myself to recover files, I have posted links in other threads in the forums, probably the digital forum from memory.

It really is a bit hit and miss with getting them back, but seeing you probably haven't written to the card since this happened there is a good chance you can recover the files.

By Administrator access do you mean to install the program or to access the resources ???

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

drg

You might want to try software from jufsoft.com called BadCopy Pro.

I've used it with great success. The program can be downloaded for free and if it recovers what you want it to, then you pay the $39.95USD fee and can then save the files. They email you a registration code upon payment.

Their URL is:

www.jufsoft.com/badcopy

Good luck!
    -C

can you find a professional data recovery company? Might be worth the investment if the pictures are that special.

I would think Japan would have some very good ones, seeing as how technological they are.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thanks for the quick replies

When I mention I need administrator access, I sometimes need it because a program, when installing, tries to do stuff the computers here wont let it do...so I cant even install the program. One program, the one that mentioned the card reader, actually gave a warning saying it couldnt do a physical search without administrator access.

But if a card reader might work better, then I might have some luck since there were a few programs out there that seemed to work...they just didnt notice my camera was hooked up. Maybe with a card reader I'll have better luck.
    At least I have hope now. I'm going to get a cardreader tonight and see if it works tomorrow. I was so devistated when I found the card was corrupted...some very important pictures

Oh, as for a professional company, I wouldnt be surprised if there was. The problem is, I dont speak much Japanese. I speak just enough to get by in simple day to day life, not enough to find, or go to a company that deals with stuff like this. I would definatly consider it though, if the programs dont work.

JPOnion

EDIT: Just tried BadCopy and PhotoRescue, both need administrator access. BadCopy to install, PhotoRescue to run. I guess if all else fails, I could try kinkos, I think their security settings are lower. Or borrow a friends laptop, but thats a last option.

Try to log on as administrator using passwords like: admin, administrator, password or just blank..

I tried a multitude of programs last year when I had a failure on a full 1gb card in Prague. I couldn't get any full images off (although some part images). After I gave up on that I went to format the card and found that even that didn't work. I lost a gig of the best photos of my trip. Oh well, that's my sob story. Better luck with your situation!

JPOnion,

Have a talk to the system administrator for the school in the IT section, explain the problem I am sure they will help you out. They more than likely have a machine that you could use there and burn the images to a CD for you. If you don't ask you won't get help. Most IT sections I have ever dealt with are more than willing to help out, when things are explained fully to them. They aren't that paranoid about programs where honest information is given.

The simplist thing to do would be to use the friends Laptop.

Good Luck.

Thread Information