ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Question Is there such a product as an angle viewer?

Is there any product out there that would fit on the eye piece of a camera with a 45-90 degree angle on it? Ok that might not make sense so let me explain. The other day I was taking some pictures of a pond and waterfall. I wanted to get a shot from ground level so I had my camera on a table top sized tripod, sitting on a rock. The only way I could look thru the viewfinder to compose the shot was to sit on the ground, in the mud. I was thinking that it would be really nice to have something that I could clip on the eye piece of the camera so I could stand over the camera and just look down into it, much like you see on most telescopes. I have done some searching on the net and I can't find anything like this for a camera. Something similar to the picture below, but for a camera.

Anyone know of anything like this?
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Is there such a product as an angle viewer?

This one fits on most Nikon cameras as long as you get the adapter ring if needed: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=165927&is=USA

Other options - Medium Format TLR or SLR with waist-level finder; Nikon F3/4/5 with finder removed (these two will give you a reversed image); digital P&S with swivel LCD screen like Coolpix 5000. Or a tarp to throw on the ground ;) .

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    This one fits on most Nikon cameras as long as you get the adapter ring if needed: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=165927&is=USA

Other options - Medium Format TLR or SLR with waist-level finder; Nikon F3/4/5 with finder removed (these two will give you a reversed image); digital P&S with swivel LCD screen like Coolpix 5000. Or a tarp to throw on the ground ;) .

After seeing the price tag on that one, it looks like it's going to be the tarp for me.
    Thanks for the info!!!

Mike
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Is there any product out there that would fit on the eye piece of a camera with a 45-90 degree angle on it? Ok that might not make sense so let me explain. The other day I was taking some pictures of a pond and waterfall. I wanted to get a shot from ground level so I had my camera on a table top sized tripod, sitting on a rock. The only way I could look thru the viewfinder to compose the shot was to sit on the ground, in the mud. I was thinking that it would be really nice to have something that I could clip on the eye piece of the camera so I could stand over the camera and just look down into it, much like you see on most telescopes. I have done some searching on the net and I can't find anything like this for a camera. Something similar to the picture below, but for a camera.

Anyone know of anything like this?
    Mike
    I have one that I used with my Pentax K1000. It slides into the slots on the K1000 viewfinder. There is also an adapter with a threaded male fitting about 18mm across. It's a Prinz Optical Angle finder catalog number 140-89 and it says f/KONICA on the box as well. On the viewfinder itself it says PRINZ AF-1. The price sticker on the box says $14.95 but I think this is something I may have picked up used in the 80s.

I did some google searching and find only a few references to Prinz photo stuff. I didn't use it very often but it was very helpful in just the kind of situation you are talking about and low angle flower shots.
    If you ever get into Madison during the week we could meet for lunch or something and I could show it to you. maybe it could be adapted to work with your camera.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not needed if...

...you have a removable pentaprism on your SLR. Despite it being unconventional, you can remove a lot of cameras' pentaprisms and simply look at the ground glass to view the scene. This gives you an overhead, albeit reversed view...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

What type of camera are you using.

Canon have one, it costs $179.95 US + postage. That is B&H pricing.

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Chunk, I was just in the Mad-city yesterday. I made my first visit to Star photo. I was looking for the battery grip and a remote switch for my DRebel, but they didn't have either one of them in stock. So I went to the Camera Co. and they had both of them in stock, for about $20 more than wheat Star quoted me, so I went home empty handed. But the good news is that B&H had them for both for $40 less, including shipping!

Steve,

I'm using the DRebel and as far as I can tell, the pentaprizm doesn't come off, but I haven't looked real close.

Peter, do you know what that item is called on the B&H website? I did a quick search this morning and couldn't find anything. But for that price, it doesn't matter anyway. A little mud is a small price to pay compared to $180. Unless I win the lottery that is.

Thanks again everyone!!
    Mike
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Yes it is called an Angle Finder C. It can be attached to all EOS cameras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=183200&is=REG

Thread Information