ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Amazing product: Noise Ninja

I want to share some experiences with you. As you all know, one of the problems with digital photography can be noise, especially if you use high ISO values. A while back people developed a product called NeatImage; http://www.neatimage.com/

Even until this day I consider it one of the most wonderful pieces of software I ever used (and trust me, I work in the IT, I've tried more software that most people will try in a whole lifetime ;) ). Several reviews had the same conclusion; NeatImage is indeed a very unique product.
    NeatImage builds a noise profile of your digital camera (or scanner) and uses this profile to remove noise in a sophisticated way. One of the strongest points of NeatImage is that it does it without blurring the image (something quite common when you use Photoshop tools or other products).
    I've used the product many times and the results still amaze me. In many cases I even managed to make an image sharper without creating halos.

All this time I was thinking that NeatImage had no competition until... Noise Ninja came along and it was "wow!" from the moment I used it: http://www.picturecode.com/
    What a wonderful piece of software. The results amaze me very much.
    What I like about this product is that it's easier than NeatImage to avoid those 'crystal' like artifacts that you sometimes notice with NeatImage, but it also tries to avoid this 'plastic' look that we tend to see with NeatImage.

Don't get me wrong, NeatImage is still a top product and the problems I mentioned earlier can be avoided by adjusting the settings, but that's an important difference with Noise Ninja; for some reason Noise Ninja seems to get it quite right the first time.
    I found it easier to get clean noise free skies with Noise Ninja than NeatImage. Important is the word 'easier'; Noise Ninja takes takes less time to get things right and that's for me an important aspect. I like to focus on Photography and not on cleaning up noise and sharpening images for 5 minutes or so, especially when I have to process many photographs.

I did notice that NeatImage is still better in some areas; really small, thin details tend to be faded in Noise Ninja, although this can be corrected using different settings.

I also think that Noise Ninja is easier to calibrate using the standard eye droppers it offers. You get the best results with the color calibration chart; very simple to build a profile for your camera.

I just wanted to share this information with you. Whether it's useful or not is something you should all decide for yourself.

Some reviews;

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...se-ninja.shtml
    http://photography.about.com/cs/digi..._noiseninj.htm

Last note: Noise Ninja is only available as stand-alone program. However, the company promised that a Photoshop and Mac plugin will be released later this year.

Post Reviews!

Joe-
    Thanks for this write-up! It's great. I'm glad to see people sharing about this kind of post-capture work. For me, image optimization is almost as important as the original photo. If you don't set it up right, a photo never reaches it's actual potential. And tools like NeatImage and NoiseNinja allow photographers to make their good imagers look better and salvage images that might otherwise go straight to the trash. I'm going to copy your post to the Digital Imaging forum as it's a great fit for that message board.

If you haven't already, could you please post reviews for NeatImage and NoiseNinja? They're both listed in the Noise Reduction software section, but there aren't nearly enough reviews. And anyone else who can post software reviews, please do. We need more software reviews on this site.

Software Reviews >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    If you haven't already, could you please post reviews for NeatImage and NoiseNinja?
    I'll do that John ;)

Btw, I have to add that the examples on Noise Ninja's web site are lousy if you ask me. It almost kept me away from trying the product (I really have to write these guys about that...)

It's best to try out the program yourself to see what it's capable of. ;)

Thread Information