ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Been busy .. but good news!

HI all

Over the last month or two I have been exceedingly busy with work and with playing my part in caring for my new grandson, now that his mother has gone back to work part-time. Fortunately, things are getting a little quieter now.

Still, something I have been working at came to fruition this past week. Last Saturday I went to the course and assessment for judges in my county photographic association. There were five of us on the course, and it was a very intense day, with theory and practical exercises judging panels of prints and projected images, in both beginners and advanced classes.

The good news is that I heard this week that I had passed and have been registered as a judge within the association. This means that I will probably get a lot of invitations to judge camera club competitions and exhibitions county-wide. Just two of the five of us passed, so it was especially gratifying.

Having said that - it will probably make me even more busy!

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Re: Been busy .. but good news!

Congratulations!. And thanks to you and all the judges that give their time to help the local clubs. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Way to go Mike! But glad its you and not me.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Congratulations on making it! Hope you enjoy this new adventure, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hey Great News!!!! Congrats Mike...Hope you have lots of fun with your new position!!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

GB1

Mike - Congrats. Interesting that they have a test for judges .. not a bad idea at all, really. I've been to photo association contests where they have a judge, usually some well known and respected person in the community, and they've all been quite good (I don't always agree with what they see, but whatever ..). But I have also heard a story here and there where a judge wasn't so hot, couldn't articulate why they liked or disliked a photo. I've also seen IMHO a sort of mini disaster, where they had a single judge for a big photo contest, where they pick ~ 100 shots from over 10,000 entries... ok, but you should have seen the winners .. ugh.. yeah.. you've got to be kidding me. I have seen (much) better shots here on our forums in the photo critique section, with a "What did I do wrong?" caption :|

Anyway, enough stories .. Congrats again.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Liz

Congratulations Mike,

This is such wonderful news! What a privilege for you - and an honor. You will do a great job. Keep us updated as to how it's going!

Liz

Thanks all .. I'm looking forward to the challenge although, as most camera clubs have their programs set a long way ahead, it will probably be well into next year before I am doing this regularly.

GB1 .. it was a very intense day. We would do things such as judge a panel of five advanced prints, complete with marking. Then two senior judges would critique our performance. This kind of thing went on for 7 hours (allowing for a lunch break). There were sessions on judging beginners, the special requirements of judging nature or record photography, projected images, and so on. All with practical exercises and constant feedback. In the end, even those who did not pass would probably have known why within themselves.

Even so, I am only on the "B" list, which means I can only do internal club competitions. Inter-club comps require you to be on the "A" list, which is only granted after some years experience.

Almost all clubs around here (and there are quite a few, being on the edge of London) will use accreditted judges. It makes for consistency.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Thread Information