ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

Beauty and the Beast

Well, for those of you that don't know my g/f owns a permanent cosmetics/tattoo studio in the Chicagoland area. This past weekend in downtown Chicago, there was a tattoo convention that our studio participated in. This always provides some interesting and unique photo opportunities.

This one is my g/f's daughter and one of the shows featured tattoo "celebrities" known as "The Enigma"

30mm f/4.5 ISO 800 1/8 sec. hand held, 18-55mm IS

I though I would share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beauty and the Beast-bethwiththeenigma800x600.jpg  
    Last edited by xystren; 11-22-2008 at 08:14 AM.
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

Re: Beauty and the Beast

Its a nice shot, I like the juxtaposition, Her smile is so wide while his grimace is accentuated by the studs. Personally, i would not consider him a "celebrity" among those with tattoos. His tattoo is mediocre in execution, in my opinion. Words have a history, something someone like him (altering their appearance so drastically and taking on a word as a name) should keep in mind. I think one day he will come across a dictionary that explains what enigma really means and he will look at his left palm and realize someone has played a cruel joke on him, I wonder if he will try to scatter the pieces or just put them in a box.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

Love the pic for the contrast in the subjects. It's like they are from two different worlds.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by reverberation
    Its a nice shot, I like the juxtaposition, Her smile is so wide while his grimace is accentuated by the studs. Personally, i would not consider him a "celebrity" among those with tattoos. His tattoo is mediocre in execution, in my opinion. Words have a history, something someone like him (altering their appearance so drastically and taking on a word as a name) should keep in mind. I think one day he will come across a dictionary that explains what enigma really means and he will look at his left palm and realize someone has played a cruel joke on him, I wonder if he will try to scatter the pieces or just put them in a box.
    Perhaps I should put the word "celebrity" within quotes. I used that term as he was one of the "paid" attractions at the show. What qualifies as a celebrity is pretty subjective. Ask 10 different people, and you will get 10 different answers. It is a debate that could go on till the end of time.

Regardless, it does provide a unique photo opportunity.
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Very cool. Great fun and photo op.

I enjoy the guys tattoos, but the nubs on his head make me wince.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Yeah, the implants have to be uncomfortable!? Once I saw all of his tatoos I immediately looked at her, I like the contrast. Very neat!
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

I'm pretty sure I've seen him before...with the Jim Rose Circus maybe...probably a good 12 years ago...not sure...

anyway. sounds like a fun event. not that I'd ever tatoo, because the needle thing scares the crap out of me...but definitely photo opportunities.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by reverberation
    ... i would not consider him a "celebrity" among those with tattoos. His tattoo is mediocre in execution, in my opinion. Words have a history, something someone like him (altering their appearance so drastically and taking on a word as a name) should keep in mind. I think one day he will come across a dictionary that explains what enigma really means and he will look at his left palm and realize someone has played a cruel joke on him, I wonder if he will try to scatter the pieces or just put them in a box.
    On this you are dead wrong. The man is a living legend in the tatoo community, not to mention the sideshow/freak world. Is is known all over the world, for his very famous FBT. You opinion of its quality is fine. You are intitled to it, but don't knock the man himself.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    On this you are dead wrong. The man is a living legend in the tatoo community, not to mention the sideshow/freak world. Is is known all over the world, for his very famous FBT. You opinion of its quality is fine. You are intitled to it, but don't knock the man himself.
    When I talked with him, after taking the photo, he seemed to be a pretty nice and down to earth kind of guy, that truly has a extreme passion for body modification and a love of the body modification industry as a whole.

Jeta/Natgaines: Yeah, the implants are "interesting." When I look at them all I think is major headache. But he doesn't seem to mind them. Each to their own.

Adina: Yeah, looking through the Wikipedia info (thx Frog!) I see that he's been on several television shows, including the X-Files. Not to mention the countless tattoo magazines I've perused.

I'm not tattooed myself either. It's funny having a g/f that owns a tattoo studio. When ever I walk in there, all the tattoo artists look at me like a blank canvas (I'm 6'5"). And if I happen to be wearing shorts? YIKES
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

Quote Originally Posted by xystren
    Adina: Yeah, looking through the Wikipedia info (thx Frog!) I see that he's been on several television shows, including the X-Files. Not to mention the countless tattoo magazines I've perused.
    >
    This was at a concert, they (and another band) opened for Nine Inch Nails, when I was ohhhh....17 maybe. My best friend and I went, got him tickets for Christmas.

Good times, good times.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information