ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Beatniks

Beatniks

My brother has a friend, Leah, who will be going to France in the fall. To help pay for her trip, she's going to be hosting a French-themed "Beatnik party" and taking donations. So, to help her promote her party, I went and did a shoot with her and a few friends. We had a ton of fun and two great locations - on Red Mountain overlooking downtown Birmingham, and at a little cafe in nearby "English Village." Shot on the XTi using the 50mm.

Leah brought attitude in spades

I caught Lauren relaxing in the shade while we got things set up. I love the look of this photo. Somehow it pulls off an old school film look, yet retains the sharpness and detail of the digital on Lauren, all without clashing.

The guys (trying to) look tough. Lighting via 2 off camera flashes at 1/4 power

The full bunch of beatniks

Hanging out at the cafe

Fletcher looking decidedly French

Leah broke out one more intense look as the sun dipped below the roof line.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Re: Beatniks

Brad as always, Great shots.... :thumbsup:

To me it looks like the third and fourth are PS, but that is just from the lighting that you use and the background isn't lit up as much.

I hope that her party goes well and it's always nice to help out friends when you can.

James

I'm going to date myself, but when I think of Beatniks my first though goes to Maynard on the Dobie Gillis show. He was later Gilligan on Gilligans Island, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks James. You're exactly right about the lighting. Adding in light throws off what the eye expects, and the way it's lit gives a 3D look to the subjects, while the background looks flat. I thought about dropping the ambient level even more, but I didn't because I wanted to keep as much detail as possible in the downtown scene.

Grandpaw, I'll have to date myself in return by saying I have no idea about the first reference! haha. I definitely know Gilligan's Island, though. I used to watch the reruns a lot as a kid.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thread Information