ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Balloon Night Glow

I finally got some shots uploaded from the night glow at the Macomb Balloon Rally.

Here's one as we were walking towards the soccer field where they did the glow:

Most of the ones within view were lit up:

Another angle:
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Balloon Night Glow

A closer view:

Like moths to a light!

The theme was Pirates over Macomb. Most of the balloons were flying a Jolly Roger flag like this:
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

these are very cool shots !

They did the night glow at the local fair but for some reason (I think it was being tired) I did not make the trip to see it. I won't miss it next year. They also do the morning and late afternoon launches then the glow later at night ....
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Talking Re: Balloon Night Glow

The first one is cool because you can see it is right beside the road. I would not have thought that.

The third one is my favorite. Great composition and great colors.

Great shots my friend.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Ben,

This was the second year I've attended the rally. I took a big chance and used my 1D, which isn't known for low light capabilities but it did pretty well. They did an official mass ascension and of course there were several unofficial launches, one of which sent a balloon coasting about 5 feet over our house while looking for a landing spot. My son loved it!

I look forward to seeing some of your shots next year!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    The first one is cool because you can see it is right beside the road. I would not have thought that.

The third one is my favorite. Great composition and great colors.

Great shots my friend.
    Thanks for the compliments my friend. They did the launch and glow from the soccer field which is right next to a main road through campus.

I was really impressed with how my 1D handled these shots overall. I found that the colors are much better if I shoot Raw and convert compared to just shooting jpg.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

That's the original 1D, not the mkII I take it ?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Beautiful images. I love the up-close-and-personal images of the 2nd set.

Never been to a balloon launch - looks like a great experience.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    That's the original 1D, not the mkII I take it ?
    That would be correct. I got it just before the mkII came out when they discounted the price! The only two changes I would make to it would be a bigger lcd screed and better high iso images. Other than that, I love it. Even at 4mp!!.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Beautiful images. I love the up-close-and-personal images of the 2nd set.

Never been to a balloon launch - looks like a great experience.

It was a great experience. It's fun to watch the balloons inflate and then launch. The night glow is just a great visual treat!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

These are all exceptional Troy. I have tried to make two balloon glows this summer and for various reason have ended up missing both. Your images make me realize I should have made a greater effort to make one.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

"I found that the colors are much better..."

"if I shoot Raw and convert compared to just shooting jpg."

Then you learned something, and that alone makes the experience worthwhile.

;-)

Great photo's are a bonus!

:-D
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Forgot to mention that I love what that child is doing in #3 of the 2nd set. Great candid moment
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks OT, I highly recommend going to a balloon glow. Even though I still prefer airshows, it's a blast and I plan on going to any I can get to. If you make it, be sure to post some shots here!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Re: "I found that the colors are much better..."

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    "if I shoot Raw and convert compared to just shooting jpg."

Then you learned something, and that alone makes the experience worthwhile.

;-)
    Not only that but Raw photos enlarge better too!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Actually the original 1d is a great camera. I wouldn't buy it nowadays considering I can make much more useful crops from an eos 5d or shoot at a blistering 10'ish fps with the mkIII, but pictures I've seen from the original are quite impressive. Did you use a speedlight on the last one? That would have been a great time to use a gelled speedlight (warming) and metered somewhere other than the flame (got blown out). Great colours.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

very nice pics..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    Actually the original 1d is a great camera. I wouldn't buy it nowadays considering I can make much more useful crops from an eos 5d or shoot at a blistering 10'ish fps with the mkIII, but pictures I've seen from the original are quite impressive. Did you use a speedlight on the last one? That would have been a great time to use a gelled speedlight (warming) and metered somewhere other than the flame (got blown out). Great colours.
    I love it. Of course, I have to be careful about composition because there isn't much you can crop if you want to print a large print.

No speedlight. I did something different this year by using the center weighted option. Last year I did spot metering and it didn't blow the flames out as bad but I got less of the surroundings. I just decided, since the preview on the little lcd stinks (to put it politely) that I'd take a chance, pick a metering mode and go for it.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Thanks!

I took a quick peek at your link, I'm going to have to go back when I have a lot more time!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    No speedlight. I did something different this year by using the center weighted option. Last year I did spot metering and it didn't blow the flames out as bad but I got less of the surroundings. I just decided, since the preview on the little lcd stinks (to put it politely) that I'd take a chance, pick a metering mode and go for it.
    I went to one a few years ago and figured that spot metering would be the best way to go, but then I saw what was really happening and realized it wouldn't work. When they fire up the burners, the brightness of the whole balloon changes a lot, so suddenly your metering is off. Of course it was chilly out that night so a little hard to work quickly (-10 or so!).

Nice shots - you did good! I really like the second one of the second set, good PJ work.

Nice shots Troy. Looks like it was a fun night out.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I went to one a few years ago and figured that spot metering would be the best way to go, but then I saw what was really happening and realized it wouldn't work. When they fire up the burners, the brightness of the whole balloon changes a lot, so suddenly your metering is off. Of course it was chilly out that night so a little hard to work quickly (-10 or so!).

Nice shots - you did good! I really like the second one of the second set, good PJ work.
    Thanks for the compliments. I blew a lot of shots because I would forget to let up on the shutter button. I've got my 1D set to focus with the * button and meter with the shutter. I'd start shooting and forget to let up enough to let the camera remeter so I had a lot of blown out shots and a lot of dark shots. But overall, center-weighted seemed to produce more overall usable shots albeit with blown out flames.

Can't say that it was chilly there that night. Mid 70's and a very light breeze. Made for great shooting conditions!!!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Thanks Greg. I had a blast. My wife and son enjoyed it also, he still talks about seeing them and keeps asking to go see more. It was a great family entertainment evening.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Pretty in the daylight - most impressive at night !
    You can hear those burners, and feel the heat.
    Fantastic shots Troy ! :thumbsup:
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Thanks Rivman! It is pretty cool. I need to get to know some of the pilots and try for a ride some time. Now that would be a neat photo op!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information