ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Back from Argentina

Hello...I just got back from a week and a half trip from Argentina/Patogonia. Probably my most unsuccessful trip of all with very few pictures that I am happy with. Here are a couple of first round picks, that will need to be edited.

Bariloche is extremely beautiful and having time away from work was much needed. I found out that my new job is killing my photography, so I must search for another job. Working 6 days a week is not conductive for research/shooting/and relaxing your mind.

My biggest reason for not coming back with more pictures was a lack of research and followup. I didn't take the time to know about the sun pattern, the amount of snow, and the difficulty of traveling to picturesque spots. Had I known, I would of gone back to Tirre del Fuego (Argentina) or Torres del Paine (Chile).

But, it's good to be back and save up for my next trip which will be Vietnam. I have realtives (I'm half vietnamese) there so I will have primo knowledge and help.

Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back from Argentina-southamerica_0066_work.jpg   Back from Argentina-southamerica_0067_work.jpg  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Great pictures racingpinarello, sorry that your trip was not as succesful as you had hoped, but as far as i see it was. Those pictures are very good in my opinion, they both almost look like paintings with all of the different colors and the perfect settings. You should put up more!

Didn't you go on assignment for someone else? If so, did you get him what he wanted?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

"I found out that my new job is killing my photography..."

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    Hello...I just got back from a week and a half trip from Argentina/Patogonia. Probably my most unsuccessful trip of all with very few pictures that I am happy with. Here are a couple of first round picks, that will need to be edited.

Bariloche is extremely beautiful and having time away from work was much needed. I found out that my new job is killing my photography, so I must search for another job. Working 6 days a week is not conductive for research/shooting/and relaxing your mind.

My biggest reason for not coming back with more pictures was a lack of research and followup. I didn't take the time to know about the sun pattern, the amount of snow, and the difficulty of traveling to picturesque spots. Had I known, I would of gone back to Tirre del Fuego (Argentina) or Torres del Paine (Chile).

But, it's good to be back and save up for my next trip which will be Vietnam. I have realtives (I'm half vietnamese) there so I will have primo knowledge and help.

Loren
    "so I must search for another job."

Now THAT's dedication to your art!

Sorry to hear your trip wasn't all you wanted it to be, but those first two images rock!

Quick question for you - Did you use a split ND filter for the first one? Looks like a classic setup for one, but if the light is right, you can pull off the shot without one.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Liz

Cool Welcome Back Loren!

These images are awesome. I would hang them just as they are. ;)

I absolutely love the first one, even tho they're both beautiful. But the colors on the first are incredible. What equipment did you use?

I agree - with your artistic abilities and photographic skills, your photography needs to be No I priority - and make the rest fit into that.

It's great to have you around again Loren. You were missed.

Liz

Loren

Hi Liz...

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    These images are awesome. I would hang them just as they are. ;)

I absolutely love the first one, even tho they're both beautiful. But the colors on the first are incredible. What equipment did you use?

I agree - with your artistic abilities and photographic skills, your photography needs to be No I priority - and make the rest fit into that.

It's great to have you around again Loren. You were missed.

Liz
    Both pictures were taken with a Canon EOS3 with a Singh Ray 2Stop ND soft graduated filter using Kokak 100VS. Also, a firm tripod was crucial since both exposures were longer than a 1/2 second.

As for my job, I just want the flexibility of taking pictures or riding my bike. I don't need to make the big dollars since I am happier when I can ride or take pictures. My current job is so stressful and time consuming it's been dificult to even be a part of the forum anymore.

Thanks for the welcome back Liz, it's great to be around again.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Hi Speedo...

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    "so I must search for another job."

Now THAT's dedication to your art!

Sorry to hear your trip wasn't all you wanted it to be, but those first two images rock!

Quick question for you - Did you use a split ND filter for the first one? Looks like a classic setup for one, but if the light is right, you can pull off the shot without one.
    Yes, I did use a ND grad filter (crucial) for the shot. The trip was still great because the hotel I stayed at was heaven, and by far the best time away from the USA in a long time. Just not great pictures.

As I mentioned to Liz, my job is very hard. I like taking pictures because I can explore and that makes me happy. Right now I get home, and just want to be a vegetable.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

No assignment

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Didn't you go on assignment for someone else? If so, did you get him what he wanted?
    Nope, it was vacation and pictures for my website/stock. So the boss (me) wasn't at all pleased. Now I have an incentive to go get some new stuff in the US.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Loren..

If you only got those two shots your trip would still have been worth it. They are just spectacular. As for the job thing, life is too short to give all your time to a job and no time to doing what makes you happy. Hope you find an alternative, even if it's just lowering your living standards, it's well worth it.
    Kit

That second shot makes me think of...

calmness...peacefulness...relaxation...and both remind of those inspirational prints & quotes that are so popular. Absolutely beautiful!!

Hi Loren! It's too bad your job is not working out with the rest of your life. I wish you luck in finding something that fits in better. I'm looking forward to seeing some images from your next trip!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    wow, these are beautiful, I wholeheartedly agree, you should spend more time w/ your photography, if only to give us something beautiful to look at.

and, can you do it daily?

ok, thanks
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Thank you very much...

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    If you only got those two shots your trip would still have been worth it. They are just spectacular. As for the job thing, life is too short to give all your time to a job and no time to doing what makes you happy. Hope you find an alternative, even if it's just lowering your living standards, it's well worth it.
    Kit
    Thanks for the kind words, and the understanding. I hope to find something soon and be able to be a part of the photography world again.

Cheers,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Thanks Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    wow, these are beautiful, I wholeheartedly agree, you should spend more time w/ your photography, if only to give us something beautiful to look at.

and, can you do it daily?

ok, thanks
    Thanks for the comments, and soon I hope to be posting and responding more frequently.

Have a great day!!
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Talking Yes, I did use a ND grad filter

Yes, I did use a ND grad filter (crucial) for the shot. The trip was still great because the hotel I stayed at was heaven, and by far the best time away from the USA in a long time. Just not great pictures.

As I mentioned to Liz, my job is very hard. I like taking pictures because I can explore and that makes me happy. Right now I get home, and just want to be a vegetable.

Loren

I must be paying attention after all. :-)

You hear that Paul? You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

I'm glad the rest of your trip was great. I know what it's like to go somewhere, and not get all the photo's you want. Disappointing to say the least.

I hope you find another job that's more conducive to your photographic pursuits. I really enjoy your posts, and hearing about your travels. Have a great day buddy!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information