ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Art Fair Banner opinions

I have an art fair coming up in a few weeks and I'm thinking of having a banner printed to display on my both. The space I have to display the banner is about 9" tall, and just under 10' wide. My thoughts are to have something simple and easy to read and maybe with a graphic.

This is my first draft.

Banner

What are your thoughts? Are the film graphics too much? Almost all of my work is digital, so are the film graphics deceiving? I have tried to find some other photography related clip art, but it all looks to be pretty cheesy. I want to try to keep the banner a little more classy. I'm not 100% set on this particular font either, but I want something that will be easy to read from a distance.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Art Fair Banner opinions

I showed this banner to my wife last night and her reaction was "what are those things on the ends? They look like guns." So, I guess I need to look for different graphics. She mentioned adding a photo to each end of the banner but I'm not sure I like that idea. I like the simple look of black text on a white background and I think adding a photo to that would take away from that look.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

GB1

There's really no reason to show film anymore, Mike. Reality is, things are so far digital nowadays that we folks who still occasionally shoot film look like dinosaurs. So, I would keep thinking on another icon/logo graphic.

The "Magic Light Photography" should stand out from your name. Another color at the minimum I would think.

I like the dimensions - WIDE looks good.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sold on the film graphic either, but didn't really like anything else I found...

Here is another version with a different graphic.

a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/78469492@N00/6106049407/" title="Banner2 by Michael J. Smith, on Flickr">Banner2
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

This is a picture of the sign I had Vista Print make me on vinyl. It can be rolled up and is 2ft by 3ft and this size lets me be able to hang it in many different locations. If I have a single booth with tables on either side it can be hung in front and to either side and not interfere with people's heads walking into my booth. It can also be hung at the rear or anywhere else I choose. A long sign like you have in your post will have limited places it can be displayed. I had them print one of my pictures for the background with the wording at the top. To me this is more of an eye catcher than just the lettering and a few graphics. I have a picture below of the one I use, Jeff

This could be made fancy by placing it in a frame but I want something that is easy to handle, water proof, won't break and will take up very little space for storage or transportation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Art Fair Banner opinions-photography-sign.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike, I think the camera graphics look too cheesy for the classy font you are using. I like the font, not the graphics. What would you think of "creating" a filmstrip and putting a different picture in each frame, have that be the background, then overprint Magic Light Photography... over the filmstrip and change the font color to white, or a color that will standout over the background? Something like this, but with your pictures in the spaces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Art Fair Banner opinions-untitled-1.jpg  
    Last edited by ksbryan0; 09-02-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Thanks for the input Jeff, but that type of sign really isn't going to work for me. I do have a more eye catching sign that I hang from the front of my tent, but I don't want anything to take up any usable wall space. I will have prints hanging on my walls. The banner is designed long and narrow to be placed above the opening on my tent so it will be easy to see from a distance & won't take up any valuable space that can be used for displaying my work.

Thanks Ken. I'm not completely sold on the graphics either. When I was creating it, I just thought it looked too plain without anything besides the text. Now that I have mocked it up on my booth, maybe it works just fine without it. I thought about doing the film thing too, but decided that maybe a film graphic just wasn't the way to go since almost none of my stuff is done on film. Also, I think that may make things look a little too "busy".

I may need to change the font so it matches my other sign as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Art Fair Banner opinions-booth.jpg   Art Fair Banner opinions-booth2.jpg  
    Last edited by mjs1973; 09-03-2011 at 06:59 AM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered their opinions on this. I decided to go with just the text as shown in the photo above, with no graphics. Do to the size I needed (112" x 8"), and the size of the material that the banners are printed on (16" tall), I was able to get 2 banners made for the price of one. It only cost me $35. Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to get it mounted to see how it's going to look.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Use the opportunity to put one of your eye-grabbing photos on it.

Thread Information