ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Anyone know how to relieve pain from broken cocxyx bone?

I slipped on my hard wood floors and went flying down the stairs on my butt and broke my butt. This was 4 days ago - i've been to the doctor and he gave me a shot of cortisone in the base of my spine, but that was no help. I'm taking pain killers and muscle relaxers and icing it but nothing is helping at all. I am at the point where I can barely walk which means I can't work and I have to get the area photo CD done by next friday and I still have 12 more towns to shoot! I'm thinking of trying acupuncture, but i've never done it before - anyone know anything about it?
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Re: Anyone know how to relieve pain from broken cocxyx bone?

I have done accupuncture for a cold (turns out it was strep) ... it gave me relief and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

No experience with it on a broken bone, however. Can't hurt to give it a shot, cuz I don't think there's much the regular docs can do for a broken tailbone.

Sit on pillows, I guess, maybe use a cane or something to get out and take the shots? Bring a friend and have them shuttle you around, only stand when you have to.

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope you feel better soon!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I would like to offer my services as a sensual masseuse....;)
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

drg

OUCH! Cortisone and it cousins can take a few days to do their magic. I''ve used acupuncture several time over the years and had a lot of success. Find a real Doctor of Chinese Medicine to do it. Many of the American Practioners are not aggressive or don't quite find the meridian you need. A lot of Chiropractors try and don't quite get the job completed.

Other than that and/or a high proof libation (not really recommended if you are taking pain killers) hang in there and get a rubber ring or one of these "memory foam" pillows. Have you tried a jacuzzi?

Its broken so inflammation is the big problem and NSAIDS may be your best friend for some time.

Best wishes and let us know how you're doing! I completly empathize with back and butt pain (shudder). . .

-C
    p.s. You might try to have someone drive you around in a van so you can lie down on your stomach and not have to sit. It might help??

Now Janie, that is the hardest to get relief for. Accupuncture will relieve it some, but you need to keep off of it, a blow up ring to sit on will help immensly. Other things you need are strong pain killers, like Panadeine Forte (Higher Codeine), or along those lines.

Really there isn't that much to do for it. But injection with Cortisone does help some of the times, but local anaesthetic injected at the same time makes it more effective as well. The idea is to numb the nerve for a while that gives the cortisone time to do it's anti inflamation work and give you some time to rest.

Also Plenty of ICE on it as well.

Apart from that it is time and rest.

Tramal (a drug) might be a good help as well.

Penny took the joke I was thinking of! Not that it's a laughing matter, but... (sorry, did it again!).

Seriously that sounds pretty painful. My wife made me go to an accupunturist a few years ago when I got in a car accident. I thought they were witch doctors and were going to try to shrink my head or something - obviously I didn't have high hopes. I went in very stiff and came out fine, it was pretty amazing. I had three treatments, and had a bad cold/sinus infection at the last one. They also took care of that much quicker than any perscription ever could. Then I threw my back out two years ago so I went back again once - felt just fine the next day.

So - I highly recommend it. Like any other profession, some are better than others. Try to get a recommendation for someone in your area, but (ahh, sorry again!!) I'm sure it will be a big help.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Janie

The glowing referals for the accupuncturist should encourage you in that direction. I was certified in accupressure at one point it may be a cheaper alternative to accupuncture if money is an issue. The only other thing besides drugs is mind over matter baby

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Donut pillow?

My cousin's wife broke her tailbone during childbirth. She sat on donut pillows for a long time.

That's all I can suggest. Otherwise, I've got some acetominephen with codeine I'll sent you if you'd like!

Sorry about your fall and the pain....

Megan

Re: Donut pillow?

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    My cousin's wife broke her tailbone during childbirth. She sat on donut pillows for a long time.

That's all I can suggest. Otherwise, I've got some acetominephen with codeine I'll sent you if you'd like!

Sorry about your fall and the pain....

Megan
    Thanks but i'm allergic to codeine! I wish I could take something stronger than the celebrex i'm taking now. ;( Eddie was nice and went out to buy me a heart shaped squishy pillow! lol He calls it my assheart. lol
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Re: Donut pillow?

Janie,

Try 100 mg of Tramal, it is a stong pain killer, along the lines of Morphine, but no side effects and isn't addictive at all. Your really don't know you are taking it as well, doesn't mess with your head at all. The other thing, anti-depressives in lowerish doses also can aid painrelief as well, when taken in conjuntion with pain medication. Helps you sleep at night as well. Example is Deptran, take about 5 mg to start with for about 1 week, then increase the dose to 10mgs up to a limit of 50mg per day, after a few weeks, but you need to reverse the procedure to go off of them as well usually, although I didn't, I just stoped taking them as I couldn't afford to buy them anymore when the Insurance Company stoped paying me suddenly at the end of February.

Sorry to say there isn't too much you can do for it I broke my tailbone badly when i was 5(was on a tall see-saw, up in the air, when the kid on the downside jumped off suddenly, sending me crashing to the ground).. I remember every day of the nasty experiance, even now.. The donut pillows and pain killers are about all you can do for it until it heals.. I have no experiance with acupuncture however, so I can't give any advice that direction. I'd say definatly give it a try if others have found relief with it...

Inflatable donut....like the ones used by post delivery moms.takes all the pressure off when you sit(no pain) even a boppy pillow

and lots of ice....just sit on bags of veggies(just don't forget which one it is....)

feel better
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

boppy and peas, peas and boppy

Yes! Boppy is the pillow I got for my sis when she was pregnant last year.
    And as a veteran of 2 NY marathons and many half marathons, as well as a decade-long Runner's World reader, I agree with Nat on the frozen veggies - peas, to be exact. They are small and round and don't stick into you, and conform to the area you are icing much better than ice cubes. Just don't ice more than 15-20 minutes at a time.

Megan

Thread Information