ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

Anyone have problems with the 5D???

Howdy!

I've had a 20D for a little over a year (just enough to not have a warranty anymore). I had to send it in to Canon after 2 months to replace something with the shutter. Now its giving me the infamous err99 message at times. I have to remove the lens and/or battery / and/or battery grip for it to come alive. Canon said again to send it back, so back it goes, and I'm getting really busy with weddings now too!

So, I'm looking at the 5d and have read a few reviews. So far most of the reviews are good, some have had sensor problems, but the image quality seems to be terrific. I can swing the $$, so is it worth the $3K+ ???

Or should I just get another 20D (for weddings/portraits) which are at a great price now $1100.00 - I can get two 20D's for less than a 5D.

Do the newer 20D's have all these bugs worked out? Anything going on with the 5D's?

Thanks!

Kathy

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Fwiw...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    So, I'm looking at the 5d and have read a few reviews. So far most of the reviews are good, some have had sensor problems, but the image quality seems to be terrific. I can swing the $$, so is it worth the $3K+ ???
    My two centavos...

I recently picked up a 5D, but have yet to put it through its paces. The only reason I choose one over a 20D is the full frame sensor. To me, this is a HUGE deal.

The difference with my super wides and fisheye lenses is significant enough to affect my ability to create the images I want. Plus, sometimes it's important for me to match the DSLR frame with my EOS film camera body when I'm shooting both film and digital, and now I can do that...

If you ask me, the bump up in resolution is simply a nice bonus (5D's 13 MP to the 20D's 8 MP), but alone would not be enough reason for me to spend the extra $$$ on the 5D body.

So, if it were me, and I didn't need the full frame sensor, I'd go with the 20D and use the extra money on lenses or maybe lighting gear...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Anyone have problems with the 5D???

I'm still researching....

Overall, my 20D has been good for weddings/portraits.

I have begun selling some stock landscape images, and now I'm wondering....should I go with a 5D just for the 12MP and F Frame, or just stay with another 20D. I would like to get in with one magazine in particular, and they prefer 12MP+ for digital. Although I love landscapes, weddings are my primary photo income, and the 8MP has been fine so far.

I would like to get some more serious landscape images and the larger resolution might be just the thing for me.

I'm leaning towards the 5D.... Are there any common issues being reported yet? I can't seem to find too many problems with the 5D.

THANKS!

Kathy

Liz

Kathy,

Just my 2 cents without 5D experience. I've seen good reviews - actually great reviews - on this camera. My suggestion would be to get it since you're interested in submitting photos that need 12mp. However, I would be sure to get it when you know you have a lot of time to use it within the 14 day return period - and really try everything out.

It's good you can afford it - and like Steve, I would prefer FF but after spending over 1K on a lens, that's all I'll be able to get for a very long time. I love the 24-105 btw.

Liz

Have you updated the firmware on the 20D? That can correct all kinds of issues. Click here for the latest version.

I have a major problem with the 5D! I don't own one!

P.S. I also just read in another post that cleaning the contacts on the camera and lens corrects Error 99.
    Last edited by dmm96452; 02-27-2006 at 07:10 PM.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Like any new camera the 5D had a few minor issues, nothing like the 20D however. If you can swin the 5D go for it, it would be much better for weddings and portraits. If you decide however to go with another 20D, wait a few weeks and get the 30D instead, it's a much better camera and is supposed to have the 20D issues fixed.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

learning member

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...d-gotcha.shtml
    Lots of pics and info on other pages here.
    Go for it!
    Mark.

I appreciate all of your thoughts and links!

LIZ - I'm also looking at the 24-105 IS. Hmmmmmmm

For weddings, maybe I'll just get a 30D for now and a new 24-105 L Lens too. 8MP is fine for weddings & portraits.

I'd really like to have 10-12MP+ in a all-weather body for my outdoor work.

Kathy

Liz

LIZ - I'm also looking at the 24-105 IS. Hmmmmmmm

I'm very happy with this lens. The color rendition itself is IMHO worth it! It's very sharp.

Liz

Thread Information