ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Another 50mm f1.8 Thread

This one is 50mm as well as window light I may post it in both. I'm a little like Ali I can't decide where it should go. At any rate here is Joy taking down the tree this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another 50mm f1.8 Thread-dsc_2809-4a-800.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

And here I thought she was putting it up.
    Nice shot.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I get the same results with my kit lens 18-55is withoutht the is on and with it on tack sharp. Im a true believer if is now.

I returned the 50mm unfortunately without a tripod its not doing it for me!

thanks for everyones input, I appreciate it.

I would like some better glass in the future can some one recomend an is version thats better than my kit lens for indoor mainly family photos?

Quote Originally Posted by titan
    Im starting to think there is something wrong with the lens, I took the first shot in front of a big window with lots of natural light coming in no direct sunlight first pic was in av mode iso 400 f1.8 ss 1/400 btw the camera focused sharp as a tack throught the viewfinder and I have very steady hands.

the second one everything was the same except it was 1/200 ss

I added this pic I switched lenses this one is with the kit lens with is

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Have to admit I don't know why you are not getting sharp pics if they look sharp through the viewfinder. Have you moved closer than your lenses minimum focal distance?
    You are the first person, I've heard complain about a 50mm.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Do you have the lens on manual focus?

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Have to admit I don't know why you are not getting sharp pics if they look sharp through the viewfinder. Have you moved closer than your lenses minimum focal distance?
    You are the first person, I've heard complain about a 50mm.

if you try and move closer than the minimum the camera wont accuate at least with my xsi

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Do you have the lens on manual focus?
    no autofocus.

alison, your shots on your website are what motivated amoung others here to pick up this lens. I had been going back and forth between the 40d and the xsi my first thought was I hope I didnt make the wrong choice. what are your thoughts with regards to the 40d doing a better job with this lens?

should I consider the 50mm f1.4?

thanks, bob

Quote Originally Posted by titan
    no autofocus.

alison, your shots on your website are what motivated amoung others here to pick up this lens. I had been going back and forth between the 40d and the xsi my first thought was I hope I didnt make the wrong choice. what are your thoughts with regards to the 40d doing a better job with this lens?

should I consider the 50mm f1.4?

thanks, bob

Awww thank you so much.
    Ermmm I don't know anything about a 50mm f/1.4 I've never tried it.

Did you buy the 1.8 brand new? If so, could you not take it back to the shop? You may have a faulty lens.

The 40D does a great job with my 50mm.

Here are a couple of examples using window light only and both the 40D and the 50mm together...

wow amazing shots! they look like they belong on the cover of vouge

the lens I bought was new from hunts photo video, I noticed inside the lens a small piece of plastic that looked like fishing line about 1/8 of an inch on the edge of the inside of the lens. It was definetely some sort of a defect. I have no Idea if that effected the operation of
    the lens. they did return it, they were out of those lenses and were going to get more in soon so I will have to wait and see.

didnt you move from a rebel to the 40d? how much of a difference did you notice moving up and what were some of the differences?

thanks, bob

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    This one is 50mm as well as window light I may post it in both. I'm a little like Ali I can't decide where it should go. At any rate here is Joy taking down the tree this morning.
    Love this one!!

Gorgeous.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Love this one!!

Gorgeous.
    Thanks Adina. I'm blessed to have Joy willing to be my guinea pig. She even said yesterday she like being my model. That one surprised me.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

She is stunning OT

Bob - no I moved from a 350D to a 40D. I wish I had the money to move even further up the ladder. Hubby's bought me EVERYTHING!

Titan - both of the photos you posted were blurred due to badly missed focus, not motion blur. It doesn't appear you were too close, b/c the 2nd photo you can see the boy's near shoulder is just starting to come into focus (so, it was focused too short). Seeing you have no trouble with the kit lens, I could only assume that you somehow got a bad copy of the lens. So many of us have used this lens across so many cameras, and I've never seen nor heard of anything like that. I'm very sorry to see that, but I'd say you should give it another shot with a different copy. As you can see from this thread, the results are amazing, and believe me, it's one of the best quality optics you can buy - and I say this owning an L lens myself.

Alison and OT - gorgeous pics from both of you, as always.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thanks Brad, I appreciate you taking the time to reply, I tend to think there was something wrong with the lens as I took many pics with it and the majoraty were blurred to some degree.

on a side note I have the opportunity to return my xsi and step up to the 40d for very little money more. berfore the holidays the price difference was much greater. I would guess the low light shooting would be a tad better? plus I could use the xtra frames per sec. for shooting my rocket liftoffs.

I love the 40d. it really takes those hits to the concrete in stride.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Thanks Adina. I'm blessed to have Joy willing to be my guinea pig. She even said yesterday she like being my model. That one surprised me.
    How fortunate you are to have a real live human. I'm down to my dog. And I can tell she's just about done.

Will get this one out tomorrow....I'm in a "info refresh" mode. Rereading old books, reshooting old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I love the 40d. it really takes those hits to the concrete in stride.

lol, now we need to see a pic of your 40d

The top half of the picture is the bank on the opposite side of a pond and the bottom half is the reflection. The train is about 80 or 90 ft long. This picture is hand held and the lights across the bottom and up the right side are on my side of the pond, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another 50mm f1.8 Thread-dsc_9656-copy.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

my new lens arrived & we got nothing but solid rain for 2 days :cryin:
    here is my lap warmer waiting to go outside
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another 50mm f1.8 Thread-fluffy1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by hollis
    my new lens arrived & we got nothing but solid rain for 2 days :cryin:
    here is my lap warmer waiting to go outside

If nothing else convinces you of the quality of your new purchase this image should. Nice job.

Nikon Samurai #13

Hi. I just got a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens and took my first photo of one of my sons with it. i think it turned out okay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another 50mm f1.8 Thread-matthew4.jpg  
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5704
    Hi. I just got a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens and took my first photo of one of my sons with it. i think it turned out okay.
    Welcome to Viewfinder and the 50mm thread Melissa. I think your going to find that the 50mm will be a work horse for you if you enjoy good portraits of your kids. Looks like your off to a great start with it. the small suggestions that I would make on this one is to either turn him a bit more into the light you have coming form the side or to add a little reflected light off some type of light colored surface to bounce a little more light in the those big brown eyes to make them pop a bit. I looking forward to seeing more of you 50mm shots.

Nikon Samurai #13

I love my 50mm for shots of the kids. Here's one from last July

Ok, this is the 1.4; I tried the 1.8 and for some reason found the focus ring stiff, but when I tried this lens, there was no turning back. It's like butter on toast...

Wonderful shot, Cath!

Here's a recent one from me, over a at friend's house watching the National Championship game. Lighting via 430EXII bounced off the ceiling.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information