ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Amateur theatricals - beauty queen election

Every year in the village there is the election of the local beauty queen, accompanied by a 2 hours show. It is the noisiest, most emotional event of my yearly calendar.

It is also one of the most challenging technically. I try to get close-ups of what's happening on-stage, without using flash. That means high ISO. I always use the D300 with my 80-200 f2.8 lens - the reach is just right on the APS-C sensor.

Last year I used 3200 ISO to avoid getting too much noise, a monopod and 1/125-1/160s. The results were just a little unsharp due to camera movement. This year I decided I had to keep the monopod but use 1/250s which means 6400 ISO - the maximum. The results are sharp but somehow they look a little ragged (loss of fine detail, colour..). See my User Gallery for a comparison.

BTW I took the last picture just at the instant where Maureen realised that she'd won and she looked out at her fans who were going wild...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amateur theatricals - beauty queen election-4403-017.jpg   Amateur theatricals - beauty queen election-4403-148.jpg   Amateur theatricals - beauty queen election-4403-155.jpg   Amateur theatricals - beauty queen election-4403-406.jpg   Amateur theatricals - beauty queen election-4403-627.jpg  

Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Amateur theatricals - beauty queen election

Looks like it did fairly well at the higher ISO, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Amateur theatricals - beauty queen election

It did indeed, especially for the lack of noise. But last year's event done at 3200 ISO has colours that look more relaxed somehow. But then last year I processed the RAW files in NX2 and this year I did them in Lightroom 3 which is more - vigourous.

When you check out the D7000 - see if there's a visible difference in a print between 1600, 3200 and 6400 ISO. If they all look about the same then I'm interested.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information