ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

All pictures are not equal

I am in the middle of setting up my website and the pricing is next on the list of things to do. Some pictures of a given size have taken much more effort, time and trouble to get than others and are worth more. Do you have different levels of prices for the same size such as placing your more valuable pictures in a portfolio gallery with higher prices? For those of you that have websites can you give me some ideas of how yours is set up. I think pricing is the most difficult part of photography. Is there a place to go where I can view a tutorial on this? You can either reply here or send me a PM or Email if you like. Any help you may offer will be greatly appreciated, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: All pictures are not equal

First off, other than event/sports/stock photographers, the unanimous concensis of the pro's I've spoken with face to face, is that their websites are merely a tool to get them more work, they haven't actually sold anything online, and those that have integrated e-commerce did so to be able to collect deposits for work, rather than to sell prints.

In theory, the more difficult/unusual prints "should" be more popular, thereby returning greater revenue through volume, but if you want to price them differently, I expect you would need to increase their perceived value to the customer - perhaps offering them as "limited editions", or only making them available matted or framed. This way the customer is generally willing to pay more, because they believe they are getting more.

Just thinking out loud I did recently pick up a book called "pricing photography" which has some very good information but the calculations will give you a headache :lol:

Jetrim, I appreciate your input and thoughts on the matter, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I don't have prices listed on my website, but I price my prints at art fairs based on size for the most part. One art fair I go to requires limited additions, so as additions get close to the limit, the price goes up.

Sure it cost me a lot more to get a photo of an elephant in South Africa than it did to get a fox in my local state park, but if I priced the elephant photo based on what I spent to get it, I don't think anyone would buy it. I have enough built into my prices that I'm making 3-4 times what I have invested in the print, matte & frame. That covers my time and expense in getting the photos.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information