ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Advice for right camera

Good morning everyone.....I am brand new here, so I apologize if I am not posting this thread in the proper forum.

I am looking to buy a camera TODAY, and I am torn between Nikon and Canon equipment. I hear that the Nikon D40 is the best bang for your buck, but after reading some reviews, it seems that Canon has equipment that may be better. I am trying not to judge the quality of these cameras by the amount of megapixels, but I feel like I want something in the range of 8-10. I majored in photography but I am in no way a "professional" photographer.....I shot film in school and have never owned a serious digital. I guess I am looking for the best entry level professional camera out there. I am looking to spend about $700-$800.

I also have some lenses that fit on an old pentax and am wondering if they would be compatible with any of these cameras.....

I have been shooting for nearly a decade now, but I feel like a newbie with this digital stuff! please forgive my ignorance.....I REALLY appreciate any advice you can give me....

THANKS!!!

Re: Advice for right camera

HI Dubbs, welcome to PR Canon and Nikon are definitely not the only worthy options in that price range. There is also the Olympus E-510, Pentax K200d or K10d, and the Sony A200. All of the cameras in the price range you are looking at are excellent cameras with loyal followings. I would suggest that you go by the camera store and see if you can handle any of these cameras in person. See which one feels best to you, which is most intuitive.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I would suggest that you go by the camera store

"and see if you can handle any of these cameras in person. See which one feels best to you, which is most intuitive."

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Ergonomics are a BIG part of how well a camera will work for you.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

MB1

Re: Advice for right camera

So, which camera did you buy?
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thread Information