ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Talking Fun weekend (image heavy)

Last weekend was the Atlanta Supercross. My dad, brother, and I have been going for the past 8 years, and we always make a weekend of it. We meet up at our lake house on Friday evening, because it's about 45mins closer to Atlanta than Birmingham. We leave from there on Saturday morning for the 1.5hr trip to Atl, spend the day in the Georgia World Congress Center (where the pits are set up) and Georgia Dome (where the race track is). Of course, I took the camera along this year and got a very wide variety of photos.

On the way out to the lake, I stopped at the Alabama Power fishing pier below the dam. I caught both of these guys fishing, though the light was poor:

Got to the lake house and noticed a cool view of the neighbor's old truck through the doorway

It was a very cloudy day, but a little color of the sunset poked through the clouds at late dusk.

To turn on the water at the lake house, I had to go into the shed that covers the well. The light emanating from within is an old technique used to keep the above ground pipes from freezing in the winter - the heat from the light bulbs in the enclosed room enough to keep it from freezing.

On to the race, Ricky Carmichael, the "Greatest of All Time," made a few guest laps. A year after retiring, seems like he's still pretty popular.

My favorite photo from the track, Yamaha Factory rider Josh Hill.

That's all I'll post here for space, but there are plenty more from the race in this photoset: http://www.zooomr.com/photos/bthed19/sets/28946/

Hope you enjoyed it, and feel free to comment on any of the images!
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Liz

Re: Fun weekend (image heavy)

Wow! Great shots! That first one is awesome. The composition and lighting - the reflections are excellent. I would hang that one for sure. I like the second one for the contrast in setting - and mood. You did a great job with the lighting on No 4 and 5. I like the others also, but these tie for my favorites.

You can send me the first one. :thumbsup: Good source of meditation.

Liz

I really like shot #4. The colors really draw me in.

Glad you explained #5. At first glance, I thought it was a fire in an outhouse.

Wow, thank you very much Liz! That really means a lot to me coming from you. Check your PM about that photo. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Ptax
    Glad you explained #5. At first glance, I thought it was a fire in an outhouse.
    Hahahaha, that's hilarious. I guess I'm glad I explained it then!
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye

My Blog

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I don't know what you consider poor light but the light in the first one is about as perfect as it gets.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
    the heat from the light bulbs in the enclosed room enough to keep it from freezing
    I'm thinking that it would take a pretty big light bulb to do that up here these days...

Nice shots - the sunset shot is what can happen if you go out anyway and wait it out. Some days it works, some days it doesn't; but it never works if you don't try!

Some very nice images Brad. Love the lake at sunset shot and the first fisherman.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks OT and AV. You're exactly right, AV, it was a very dim, gray, cloudy afternoon, and I was really pretty disappointed by that, being at such a beautiful location. But I stayed outside for a while and just before it got dark that little bit of red poked through, which really looked great against the deep blue.
    Brad

My Blog

Liz

Wow, thank you very much Liz! That really means a lot to me coming from you. Check your PM about that photo
    Brad

I hope you post more of your work - check your pm again.....

Liz

I certainly will. I'm really glad everyone has enjoyed them! For me, that's what takes it to the next level. I enjoy doing photography for fun, but when you get an image that really speaks to others, that's when you've got art. That's what's cool for me, when someone else gets enjoys my work too.
    Brad

My Blog

Liz

BTW - which lens(es) did you use? Since you only have the 50mm/f1.8 listed, I was curious to see if you got these results from that specific lens. If so, you might want to add them to the 50mm lens thread.

50mm Walk About

Liz

Indeed they were with the 50mm. Still the only lens I have... but obviously that's not something that concerns me too much; I love love love this lens.

Good suggestion, I'll add a coupe there.
    Brad

My Blog

Thread Information